The Student Room Group

Blood pressure monitor reading advice.....

Basically i got my hands on a blood pressure monitor and i used it...

im aware that 'normal' BP is around 120/80 , and obviously theres room for natural variation....

but i checked my BP and the reading i got was 130/62... i repeated it and it was more or less the same...

any idea why i have a slightly higher systolic pressure, but lower diastolic pressure?

im a 19 year old male btw,

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone...?
Reply 2
insideedge

im aware that 'normal' BP is around 120/80 , and obviously theres room for natural variation....

but i checked my BP and the reading i got was 130/62... i repeated it and it was more or less the same...

any idea why i have a slightly higher systolic pressure, but lower diastolic pressure?

thanks

im really not sure, but i have read of a condition where there is great variation between diastolic/systolic pressure than can lead to extreme stretching and eventually reupturing of arteries. i cant remember the specifics, but if you are worried why not pop down to your local pharmacy anf get check out by your pharmacist - theyll be able to give you advice and may refer you to a GP if they think its necessary?
insideedge

thanks

I have no idea, and probably neither does anyone else on TSR. I am an applicant and so do not claim to know anything about anything but I would imagine that there are lots of different things which could produce that reading. Plus the fact that since you did it yourself it is probably not that accurate. If you are concerned, then go and see your GP.
Home BP monitors can be pretty inaccurate if not used properly, but if you're worried then go to your GP or pharmacy to get it measured. :smile:
WEB
im really not sure, but i have read of a condition where there is great variation between diastolic/systolic pressure than can lead to extreme stretching and eventually reupturing of arteries. i cant remember the specifics, but if you are worried why not pop down to your local pharmacy anf get check out by your pharmacist - theyll be able to give you advice and may refer you to a GP if they think its necessary?

Unless you are a doctor, I would ease off on the scare mongering for a moment.
Reply 6
What sort of blood pressure machine is it?

We have one which goes round your wrist that isn't accurate at all; it gives completely different readings to the big one we have. Some of them really aren't that accurate, especially if you may not be using it properly.

If you're worried though, best get it checked out by a doctor.
Reply 7
I really doubt you have anything to worry about. Why does a 19 year old male even have a BP monitor at home?
Reply 8
Helenia
I really doubt you have anything to worry about. Why does a 19 year old male even have a BP monitor at home?

Actually a big variation in pulse pressure can be a marker of a number of condition ranging from the less serious to indications of aortic regurgitation, so like i said, best bet is to go get it checked out by a healthcare professional and to not rely on misguided musings on TSR. and everyone should check out their BP - high blood pressure and the conditions it causes are not solely a problem for older people
Reply 9
WEB
Actually a big variation in pulse pressure can be a marker of a number of condition ranging from the less serious to indications of aortic regurgitation, so like i said, best bet is to go get it checked out by a healthcare professional and to not rely on misguided musings on TSR. and everyone should check out their BP - high blood pressure and the conditions it causes are not solely a problem for older people

I am a healthcare professional. Unless the OP is 6'8 and very very skinny, aortic regurgitation at 19 is very very unlikely, and a spurious one-off reading/totally normal is far more likely. And while the occasional BP check at the GP might be a good idea, a home monitor is totally unnecessary.
Reply 10
WEB

Your speaking to a doctor there actually:p:
Reply 11
Helenia
I am a healthcare professional. Unless the OP is 6'8 and very very skinny, aortic regurgitation at 19 is very very unlikely, and a spurious one-off reading/totally normal is far more likely. And while the occasional BP check at the GP might be a good idea, a home monitor is totally unnecessary.

I didnt say he had aortic regurgitation, i said it was one of many things a high pulse pressure can indicate. Anyone with a consistently large variation between systolic and diastolic blood pressure over 40mmhg needs further investigation (and the OP stated he repeated it), as a HCP you should know this. you should also know that telling someone theyre fine when you havent personally examined them i.e. over the internet is a risky thing to do
Reply 12
_Andrew_
Your speaking to a doctor there actually:p:

i know i read the profile, but doctors cant diagnose over the internet no matter how amazing they are.
You were sitting in a warm room by the sounds of it. With one of those little electronic monitors, as part of a biology experiment, it clocked something like 107/47 on me post-exercise. I knew it was low, but those monitors rip the piss out of accuracy.
Reply 14
Helenia

Well my mum got it from someone, i saw it lying around so thought i'd have a go....if that's ok with you? or am i not allowed to have a BP monitor?!
Reply 15
i was hoping for someone just to tell me why the difference is slightly larger than mentioned on the charts...i know they're generalised and all...
or any health risks ?
Reply 16
insideedge
Well my mum got it from someone, i saw it lying around so thought i'd have a go....if that's ok with you? or am i not allowed to have a BP monitor?!

Don't be so dam rude, she was trying to give you helpful advice earlier, it's just slightly OTT for an 19 year old to be concerned about blood pressure, and actively measuring it at home.
Reply 17
_Andrew_
Don't be so dam rude, she was trying to give you helpful advice earlier, it's just slightly OTT for an 19 year old to be concerned about blood pressure, and actively measuring it at home.

how is it being damn rude?! is it so wrong that i measured my BP?!
Reply 18
WEB
I didnt say he had aortic regurgitation, i said it was one of many things a high pulse pressure can indicate. Anyone with a consistently large variation between systolic and diastolic blood pressure over 40mmhg needs further investigation (and the OP stated he repeated it), as a HCP you should know this. you should also know that telling someone theyre fine when you havent personally examined them i.e. over the internet is a risky thing to do

I didn't say they were fine, but that as a one off on a home monitoring machine it was unlikely to be a problem (especially as poor technique with the machine is a very common reason for widened pulse pressure). And tbh with a BP like that, unless there was anything else on examination, I wouldn't be worried at all.

insideedge

Nobody's saying you're not allowed. My point was that it's rather unnecessary.
Whatever anyone says, if you're worried about it, go to the GPs.
The machine sphigs (especially the ones people use at home) are horrifically inaccurate, so i (personally) wouldn't worry too much. But again, i reiterate, get it check out if you're concerned.

You aren't by any chance asthmatic and just had a couple of puffs of salbutamol before hand did you? :P Stab in the dark Tehehe

Latest