The Student Room Group

Top guitar songs to play at a house party?

Scroll to see replies

I'm a singer songwriter that has been at it for many years.
In my experience you do have to watch your ego and play for the benefit of others rather than going by your own agenda. Don't expect anyone to really be actively listening but take on the role of providing background music to chatter. You'll be most appreciated in that role.

Most people want songs they know at parties. Doesn't matter how good your songs are.
They are happiest when you give them the opportunity of singing along.
Oh godd. Sweet home Alabama you actually might get away with if you're good and people are smashed. Do. Not. Play. Wonderwall. Ever really. But especially not at a house party. If there's one cliche of someone playing guitar at a house party- it is that. 'Hey guys. I'm just gonna play a few songs. Sing along if you know it. *plays opening chords to wonderwall.*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joel Q-Frank
Oh godd. Sweet home Alabama you actually might get away with if you're good and people are smashed. Do. Not. Play. Wonderwall. Ever really. But especially not at a house party. If there's one cliche of someone playing guitar at a house party- it is that. 'Hey guys. I'm just gonna play a few songs. Sing along if you know it. *plays opening chords to wonderwall.*

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahahah p
No One Knows goes down pretty well in my experience.
Sweet Home Alabama gets some laughs, especially if you whack on a strong Deep South accent.
People my age tend to know some Offspring songs, RATM, Linkin Park.. cheesy stuff we used to listen to as kids that's fun to pick back up.

You really need to gauge the situation properly, and it can be difficult. As we've seen, some people hate people playing guitar at parties no matter what because hating things is cool and lets people know you have opinions about things. You have to play FOR the crowd and not AT them, and you'll need to know songs that will appeal to them which differs from crowd to crowd.

Some of the best times I've had at house parties have been when a few musicians have been left up and we've torn songs apart with improv instruments and new 'improved' lyrics, but you need to be with the right people to get that going. A lot of boring ***** would rather veg out.
Reply 44
Original post by goodmen
Please, please don't do it. No body in history has ever enjoyed it other than the loser playing the guitar.

100% this.
Have I been to your party? Or you to mine? I an and will do them both! Gif drunk) see you at Kendal Calling in 2 weeks!x

Quick Reply

Latest