Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Living in Harborne or Selly Oak

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We've found a house we really like the look of in Harborne, but I'm unsure whether it would be better to go to Selly Oak where most students are. Does anyone have experience of living in Harborne? Are there any disadvantages to living there?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Harborne is a bit residential and boring to be honest. Selly Oak is where it's at
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really make a difference towards social life. Whether you life 10 or 18 minutes from the Bristol Road pubs isn't going to affect the decision of whether or not to go there.

Houses in Harbourne will on average be better quality. So you're less likely to have the roof leak on you and all your papers while sitting in your room writing the dissertation two nights before it's due.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Doesn't really make a difference towards social life. Whether you life 10 or 18 minutes from the Bristol Road pubs isn't going to affect the decision of whether or not to go there.

Houses in Harbourne will on average be better quality. So you're less likely to have the roof leak on you and all your papers while sitting in your room writing the dissertation two nights before it's due.
    Agreed on the better quality point, but the time difference is more like 5 mins vs 30mins.. It takes 20 mins from university station to walk to Bristol Road, 25 mins from Pritchatts so 30 from Harbourne's pretty kind!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    Agreed on the better quality point, but the time difference is more like 5 mins vs 30mins.. It takes 20 mins from university station to walk to Bristol Road, 25 mins from Pritchatts so 30 from Harbourne's pretty kind!
    If you get a bicycle then you'll make it from home to Soak in the same time as someone living in Tiverton 300-something.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies!

(Original post by HJV)

Did you live in Harborne, out of interest?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactussed)
    Thanks for the replies!

Did you live in Harborne, out of interest?
    No. In Selly Oak, although not in the Tiverton-Dawlish area.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    If you get a bicycle then you'll make it from home to Soak in the same time as someone living in Tiverton 300-something.
    Who cycles to the pub? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarlettDangerfield)
    Who cycles to the pub? :confused:
    Why not?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Why not?
    Well, just that going to the pub is usually a group activity so it would make sense to walk down together. Also I wouldn't fancy my chances on Bristol Road after a few. Not saying it's a completely ridiculous idea though..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got to agree on Harborne being a good idea, for a number of reasons, which may not be relevant to you. I loathe the crummy nature of Selly Oak, it is an unbelievable **** hole as an area. Also as HJV said, the value you get for your money is considerably worse than in Harborne, which I rather like. If you're not into the whole 'living like a student' like me, then you'll appreciate the more down to earth nature of Harborne, although if you've never lived in Selly Oak I think it's worth the experience, it is unlikely you will ever get to live with so many friends within 5 minutes of you. I've got friends in 5 different houses on my road alone (Harrow Rd).

These are the factors I would bear in mind regarding living in Harborne vs. Selly Oak, the transportational issues I think are irrelevant, and an insignificant trade off to what I consider far greater positives. I really could not care less about walking to the pub with my friends or meeting them there, the journey is an irrelevant necessity, and to be honest, I haven't "walked down together" since probably the first month of term. That said you're a girl, which may factor in.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 24, 2010
Article updates
University of Birmingham resources

Read our guide:

University of Birmingham

Quick link:

Unanswered University of Birmingham Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.