The Student Room Group

Can you switch College?

HI,
judging by the title, i assume you know what im going to talk about.
its been half way through the academic year, in a school sixth form i absolutely hate. the teachers cannot guide you, let alone do their job as teachers. i think that is fundamental especially when im doing science subjects. i am thinking to apply to a different college next year. but i dont want to retake the AS year if i happen to have good grades. first off, is it possible if i can apply to a different Sixth form college for the A2 year only with not the same but similar subjects? and do exam boards matter if they change?
Can someone enlighten me?:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Mirza993
HI,
judging by the title, i assume you know what im going to talk about.
its been half way through the academic year, in a school sixth form i absolutely hate. the teachers cannot guide you, let alone do their job as teachers. i think that is fundamental especially when im doing science subjects. i am thinking to apply to a different college next year. but i dont want to retake the AS year if i happen to have good grades. first off, is it possible if i can apply to a different Sixth form college for the A2 year only with not the same but similar subjects? and do exam boards matter if they change?
Can someone enlighten me?:s-smilie:

Yes you can switch but you have to apply and be given a place - they obviously don't have to take you so don't burn bridges at you school.

You will have difficulty and quite probably have to repeat the year if you switch to 'similar' subjects. You can't for example do an AS in English language and complete an A2 in English lit or AS Biology and A2 Human Biology. If it's the same subject but just a different awarding body then you are usually OK. See Appendix 6 in this document.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1074/entry%20aggregation%20and%20certification%2009%2D10%7Efinal.pdf
Reply 2
thanks for the reply!
im doing biology(AQA) Chemistry(Edexcel) History(Edexcel) and sociology(AQA). sociology i want to drop after AS but i want to do similar subjects if i transfer. e.g. can i carry on A2 biology in a different college provided that i have informed the exam board and have gone through the transfer credit procedure and all sorts. and would Uni's look at this? thanks again!:confused:
Reply 3
Mirza993
thanks for the reply!
im doing biology(AQA) Chemistry(Edexcel) History(Edexcel) and sociology(AQA). sociology i want to drop after AS but i want to do similar subjects if i transfer. e.g. can i carry on A2 biology in a different college provided that i have informed the exam board and have gone through the transfer credit procedure and all sorts. and would Uni's look at this? thanks again!:confused:

unis will not care about the switch of boards, some might be interested in the reasons for your change of school

the exams officer at the new college will sort out the exam boards for you. do think through any AS resits though as you'd need to do them with the old board before you transfer credit and you'd probably have to find somewhere to do them privately if the new college doesn't do them.
im switching 6th forms this year for my A2's, i dont know if you can do similar subjects. but it is possible to switch, make sure exam boards are the same.
Reply 5
the exam boards are not the same in the college i wish to go to but does that matter? the link 'gdunne42' had posted states that some transfers are acceptable. im now confused

Latest

Trending

Trending