The Student Room Group

Taking foundation for Maths and want to retake in college...

So im in year 10 right now and im taking Maths foundation whereas im expecting As and A* for the rest of my subjects.

I always hated maths and never cared - Would fail by purpose so i'd move down and get a lot less homework. (stupid, I know)

The highest i can get is a C, its just that what i want to study NEEDS mathematics. I know i can start passing, its too late to enter higher tier as they've started a whole new syllabus, compared to what we're doing.

So my question is im going to re-take my Maths GCSE after year 11 in sixth form. Would i be able to have 4 subjects, or would Maths count as one? Im very confused, because i'd be doing the Maths syllabus for GCSE, would it be considered as taking the subject Maths for sixth form?
:confused: Not sure if im making sense.
Reply 1
Maths counted as the 4th for me
Reply 2
Aj12
Maths counted as the 4th for me

So it counts as a subject :frown:

How long does it take? And what if after that you want to take maths at sixth form level.

?
Reply 3
i think you could but only as a AS i know people who did a third year at college but just the maths gcse takes around 3 months i think
Reply 4
KayK
So it counts as a subject :frown:

How long does it take? And what if after that you want to take maths at sixth form level.

?

but the best place to ask will be at the college it might have a diffrent policy to mine on this
I imagine it would depend on your individual college as to whether Maths counted as a 4th subject (i.e you'd only be allowed to do three AS Levels), or whether you could still do 4 AS Levels and it. If by "Maths at Sixth Form Level", you mean AS/ A Level Maths, then I suppose, if you got a decent grade in it, then they might let you do AS Maths in Year 13.
Wouldn't it be a better idea to try and get your school to let you do higher, and catch up by yourself, as you've still got plenty of time if you're in Year 10, although of course that depends on your ability/ what grade you're looking to get.

Latest