The Student Room Group

Higher English is driving me to the point of crying. Please help ?

English is the one subject that i just can not get my head around. For the prelim i got a C and I'm just feeling like I'm so bad at the subject :frown:

When I asked my teacher what the grades depend on in English, she said the maturity and sophistication of your answer. How on earth do I improve my language to get an A then ? :frown:

With close reading I'm getting better, at the moment I usually get about 70+% on them, so I don't think they're pulling down my grade too much :/

Please does anyone have any advice or tips on how to get better at this subject. I would love to bring my grade up to a B (or an A if it's even possible :frown:)?
Reply 1
Poor you :frown: I used to feel terrible about English and everything was looking bleak! I managed to turn it around in time for the prelim and get a B, but i know how you feel.

Close Reading seems to be your stronger area, but if you want to try and improve that a bit anyway, i'd highly recommend How To Pass Higher English. I found it so much easier to answer different types of questions by using that.

If your essays seem too short, there's a good chance you will be faster by the time May 12th comes. In essays your teacher is right, and sophistication of language is very important. Try reading more intellectual newspapers if you do not already such as The Guardian, The Independant etc. Also reading well written books can help improve your language.

Try not too feel too down, and also for the past 3 years the pass mark for an A has been 65%, which is considerably low compared to other subjects. Hope this has helped. :smile:
Reply 2
Wow, I got 51% in my prelim which gave me a low C. I can't believe the pass mark for an A has been 65% :O That actually makes me a feel a little better :biggrin:
Reply 3
There's a big higher english thread with hints and guides.

Latest

Trending

Trending