The Student Room Group

Durham V Cambridge.

Ok, so i'm incredibly confused and need help!
I've got an offer from Murray Edwards college at Cambridge and one from University college at Durham. Both for Engineering.
One day I'll decide I want to go to Cambridge for the oppertunities but then another day I'll decide I want to go to Durham because I think I might enjoy it more.
Arghh :confused: I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on anything :/
Any thoughts on the pros/cons of each and where I should choose?

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge.
/****** thread please.
Reply 2
That library :coma:
Anyway there was a girl on here in your kind of situation last year and I'm searching for the thread so bear with me for a second please.
Go to Cambridge. Live my dream for me. :emo:

Spoiler

Reply 5
Why do you think you might enjoy Durham more?
Reply 6
Cambridge hands down
Reply 7
Y__
Why do you think you might enjoy Durham more?

I guess because it's more Northern so would be less of a culture shock and the workload would be less so I'd probably be able to get out more. Also, I much prefer the college, because it's got the tradition and isn't all girls. :/
Cambridge is bloody amazing. Don't worry, you'll love it here.
Have you been to visit both? I know nothing about Durham and have never seen the interior of Murray Edwards, but I know exactly where it is in Cambridge... Won't say anything because it might be perfect for you or indeed any other applicant, but it would certainly surprise me.

Edit: Stupidity... You almost certainly have seen Murray Edwards.
I'm in my first year at Murray Edwards if you want to know what its like.
Reply 11
ZuluOscarAlphaHotel
I'm in my first year at Murray Edwards if you want to know what its like.

Yeah, that would be great. :smile:
Galaxy92
Ok, so i'm incredibly confused and need help!
I've got an offer from Murray Edwards college at Cambridge and one from University college at Durham. Both for Engineering.
One day I'll decide I want to go to Cambridge for the oppertunities but then another day I'll decide I want to go to Durham because I think I might enjoy it more.
Arghh :confused: I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on anything :/
Any thoughts on the pros/cons of each and where I should choose?

I'm in a similar situation to you - I got an offer from Murray Edwards (MML) and am currently waiting to see what college I've been placed in at Durham. It is a predicament - University College is beautiful, old and more traditional than Murray Edwards, plus it's the top college at Durham, which is in itself an amazing university. But in the end, would rescinding your offer be worth potentially missing out on a Cambridge degree?

But to be honest, it's not really my place to tell you what to do. Have you been on the Durham open day/talked to people who go to University/Murray Edwards?

You could join the Murray Edwards group and have a chat with some of the current students: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23595176#post23595176

Good luck!
Reply 13
bite_of_cake
I'm in a similar situation to you - I got an offer from Murray Edwards (MML) and am currently waiting to see what college I've been placed in at Durham. It is a predicament - University College is beautiful, old and more traditional than Murray Edwards, plus it's the top college at Durham, which is in itself an amazing university. But in the end, would rescinding your offer be worth potentially missing out on a Cambridge degree?

Is it?

I would go to Cambridge if I were you and I say that as someone who goes to Durham. It would be good for you to expand your horizons and experience a bit of the Southern culture (one of the reasons why I came to Durham is because as a Southerner I wanted to live in the North for a bit). Also, whilst obviously I think Durham is a very good university, I think the vast majority of us at Durham, if given the opportunity, would go to Oxbridge. So don't pass up the opportunity! I know it's a bit annoying to go to an all girls college, but it is Cambridge you're talking about.
Reply 14
I'm assuming the Cambridge offer is A*AA whereas the Durham one I assume would be AAA or AAB (not sure on the typical offer for Engineering at Durham, sorry!). So you could always put Cambridge as your firm and Durham as insurance, and then I believe you're able to ask your firm to release you on results day if you meet the offer so that you can go to your insurance, but that might not be possible, I'm not sure.
Cambridge.
Reply 16
jj1234567890123
Cambridge.
/****** thread please.

:ditto:
Reply 17
I do want to go to Cambridge, I don't want to seem ungrateful of anything haha. I think it's just a scary prospect going down and I have a fear I might hate it. I go to a mixed comprehensive school and all girls Cambridge is pretty alien. Durham seems for some reason the 'safe' option.
d123
I'm assuming the Cambridge offer is A*AA whereas the Durham one I assume would be AAA or AAB (not sure on the typical offer for Engineering at Durham, sorry!). So you could always put Cambridge as your firm and Durham as insurance, and then I believe you're able to ask your firm to release you on results day if you meet the offer so that you can go to your insurance, but that might not be possible, I'm not sure.

Yeh I decided not to do that due to one being more prestigious overall, then a few days at my firm i transferred to my insurance!
Yeah Cambridge all the way...

Quick Reply

Latest