The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Laura2222
ahh sounds as though it went quite well then ! :smile:i was just wondering if they asked you a lot of starter questions like why you picked french etc ?

I'm not sure how much detail I'm allowed to go into, so I won't go into much, but I was asked a few(about 4?), all fairly predictable.

It went well relativley speaking considering I hadn't prepaed as much as I should have done. :p:
Reply 21
namedeprived
Update:

It's nowhere near as bad as you might think. I know you'll probably have heard that before but it's true. The examiner is nice, (well ours was anyway) and the questions reasonable, though I did get asked one I didn't really know anything about, but I managed to say something with a word of prompting).

Told you it would be fine :yep:

Mine's next Thursday and the teacher I practiced with today asked how long I had to speak for during the test (she's never taught AH). I said 20 mins and she went "Oh........you might want to practice some more :wink: " rofl.
Reply 22
Mine was good too! The German lady actually said to me:

"You've written quite a lot of topics - here take this pen and score out any that you don't want to talk about"
*Scribbles out Environment and Unemployment*
"Role of the Woman? Are you suuuure you want to talk about that?"

haha. she was sound. and we ended up only talking about the EU and randomly she asked me if I wanted to get married. And that was it! Well, the books, but they were ok.

Now for Spanish on Tuesday.... :frown: can't be bothered... nowhere near prepared!
Reply 23
could anybody that's done it already tell me what depth the examiners went into?
as in, one of my topics is les transports en commun and all i can say about it is

- cars are bad for your health and release carbon monoxyde
- public transport is better for the environment
- the government should improve public transport and reduce prices
- we need to avoid cars for short journeys
- people desire a more sophisticated method of public transport

will that be anywhere near enough?

thanks if somebody replies in times (it's tomorrow :biggrin: )
Reply 24
I really just want them to be over and done with now :/
Reply 25
conway!
could anybody that's done it already tell me what depth the examiners went into?
as in, one of my topics is les transports en commun and all i can say about it is

- cars are bad for your health and release carbon monoxyde
- public transport is better for the environment
- the government should improve public transport and reduce prices
- we need to avoid cars for short journeys
- people desire a more sophisticated method of public transport

will that be anywhere near enough?

thanks if somebody replies in times (it's tomorrow :biggrin: )

To be honest, you can drive the conversation to talk about almost anything. If the examiner goes into one thing that ur not too sure about, just say you've not really thought about it but you think this.. and go into what you have prepared.

Your arguments seem fine. She might pick up on one of them and ask u to expand it, or ask you another question. eg. (point 4) what can the government do to improve public transport? make it cheaper? more comfort? etc...

As long as you know how to say "it's not something i've really thought about" then you'll be fine. it's amazing what will come to you under stress.

Good luck! My Spanish is on Tuesday... :s-smilie:
Reply 26
leitchman
To be honest, you can drive the conversation to talk about almost anything. If the examiner goes into one thing that ur not too sure about, just say you've not really thought about it but you think this.. and go into what you have prepared.

Your arguments seem fine. She might pick up on one of them and ask u to expand it, or ask you another question. eg. (point 4) what can the government do to improve public transport? make it cheaper? more comfort? etc...

As long as you know how to say "it's not something i've really thought about" then you'll be fine. it's amazing what will come to you under stress.

Good luck! My Spanish is on Tuesday... :s-smilie:

thanks, and good luck to you too :smile: thankfully i'm only doing higher spanish, one less thing to worry about...
Reply 27
French tomorrow, not confident about it in the slightest. Just keep telling myself I don't need it, it's just a nice wee conversation in another language, not important :p:
Not working so far lol.
bex285
French tomorrow, not confident about it in the slightest. Just keep telling myself I don't need it, it's just a nice wee conversation in another language, not important :p:
Not working so far lol.

True though.

You'll ace it, trust me, even I managed to get through it.

Bonne chance.

Spoiler

Reply 29
namedeprived
True though.

You'll ace it, trust me, even I managed to get through it.

Bonne chance.

Spoiler

You say that as if you're rubbish when you're clearly not :p: thanks though lol.

Spoiler

bex285
You say that as if you're rubbish when you're clearly not :p: thanks though lol.

Spoiler

Spoiler

conway!

How did it go?
Reply 31
namedeprived

Spoiler

Aah, I see. We've done Au Revoir Les Enfants and Huis Clos. I've only seen one as far as I can think :woo:
Oh, not good :frown: I've got my Spanish speaking on Friday :facepalm: but after that nothing much really :biggrin: just essays and then exam practice.
Reply 32
I do realise this is for advanced higher, but a wee bit of higher spanish chat can't hurt can it? :tongue:

I'm so glad i'm not doing AH spanish next year, sounds awful. At least at int 2/ higher you can just learn everything. I've got my higher speaking on tuesday. Eek! Mines so long...mind block... arghhh
Reply 33
what are you doing your higher spanish speaking on ? :smile: i have my higher spanish speaking the week after next and its on school and future plans, but after my advanced french one today im not too worried about the spanish one :smile:.
Reply 34
Laura2222
what are you doing your higher spanish speaking on ? :smile: i have my higher spanish speaking the week after next and its on school and future plans, but after my advanced french one today im not too worried about the spanish one :smile:.

Hi :smile:

I'm doing my presentation is on family, and my questions involve friends, local area, school and holidays. Want full marks so badly....

How long is yours?
Reply 35
jackwka
Hi :smile:

I'm doing my presentation is on family, and my questions involve friends, local area, school and holidays. Want full marks so badly....

How long is yours?

cool :smile: my questions are on family , holidays , and hobbies

my actual presentation is relatively long .. i have loads of questions to answer though. Yeah i really want to get full marks because im crashing the higher this year and it would definitley help me get the grade i need :smile:
bex285

How did it go? :smile:
Reply 37
namedeprived
How did it go? :smile:

Quite good actually, thanks for asking! :smile:
I felt really unprepared for it, but the conversation seemed to flow, which is what the examiner said at the end when she realised we'd gone by 20 minutes :p: she said I've got nothing to worry about, so yay! :biggrin:
I fear that's made me too complacent though, I've done absolutely nothing for Spanish tonight :woo:
I had my AH Spanish one yesterday. The times goes so quickly and you actually get quite into it. I was actually quite enjoying it at some point. A few of the questions I maybe didn't answer as well as I could but got some nice good subjunctives and good phrases in so I'm quite pleased. The examiner was really nice as well.

She seemed quite pleased with what I'd done and said I'd obviously worked really hard for it. I'm a bit worried though because mine was about 25 mins where as other people's were about 20 and I remember my teacher saying if it's longer they are trying to get you up a grade. So am a bit worried. Put a lot into it and really wanted to do well :frown:
Reply 39
namedeprived

How did it go?

fine, ish, examiner had strange questions like - 'Doesn't the snow outside prove global warming isn't true?' and 'What's a day in the life of a homeless person like?'

one person asked to stop and started crying during hers, and two or three people didn't turn up, out of a class of 15 or so, i wonder if that's normal :p:

Latest