The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BlackHawk
Sir Squire is an AEF instructor now where my old UAS is located.

Sir Pete, you mean!

InaSpin
Most people stick S/L F/L as abbreviations for chits/warning in etc. Never in official letters etc though.

Is APO official?

No, it's A/Plt Off. Like everyone else, I use F/L etc on lunch orders, logbooks, etc etc, but it's actually a made-up abbreviation. It's all so commonly used that you'll even find it in some official documentation, but my old defence writing tutor used to go rather mad at that.
Reply 21
SexyKe
Also you have to have a family to get a house; as a singleton you get a room in the mess, woohoo!!

Utter nonsense.

You can get a married quarter if you are single, or if you are married without children or if you are in a homosexual relationship.
Reply 22
Wzz
Sir Pete, you mean!

My mistake. Thanks honey. :wink:

Much easier just calling him 'Sir'
Reply 23
BlackHawk

You can get a married quarter if you are single,.

Its unlikely though. There are less and less quarters available now and im pretty sure they give priority to families.
Reply 24
BlackHawk
My mistake. Thanks honey. :wink:

Much easier just calling him 'Sir'

or even 'Sir, Sir' :wink:
Reply 25
SexyKe
Its unlikely though. There are less and less quarters available now and im pretty sure they give priority to families.

Really? Better tell DHE and the RAF that then as they seem to give quarters to singles. In fact there are so many on a certain base I'm at that they give them away to the Army.
Reply 26
SexyKe

There are surplus quarters at virtually every base right now. Last couple I've been at has more singlies living out than families.
Reply 27
Elmlea
There are surplus quarters at virtually every base right now. Last couple I've been at has more singlies living out than families.

Fair enough. Obviously my dad is just f***ing unlucky :mad:
Reply 28
Living in the mess is more fun though. A bed and a locker, what more do you need?

Mark
maybe people jus dont wanna live on base! i wouldnt!!!
Aib?
Rcb?
Reply 31
UETF

Uninstalled Engine Test Facility
Reply 32
AIB and RCB are RN + Army mate.

Why would anyone want to know what 'UETF' is? If they really have to mention it, probably just say Uninstalled Engine Test Facility. Just wondering.. but what on earth is it?

RAF - Royal Air Force.

Mark
Reply 33
djmarkmclachlan

Why would anyone want to know what 'UETF' is? If they really have to mention it, probably just say Uninstalled Engine Test Facility. Just wondering.. but what on earth is it?
Mark

Don't have a clue - my Dad thought he'd try and find something that wasn't in the list, thought I'd post it - seems kinda silly now... :redface:
Reply 34
Blackhawk,
When did the DHE policy change for single-sex couples? I heard they were reviewing it, but I wasn't aware that they now allocate housing to homosexual couples?
--------------
I'll make that statement a bit clearer, we have always had the option of allocating surplus SFA to serving homosexuals where they had a parental responsibility to a child/ren. I thought that we were not allocating SFA to same sex couples because we open the flood gates to anyone in a relationship i.e. met her on Fri, shacked up by following Friday. I thought this was still under review by PTC and DHE?
Reply 35
Que?
Blackhawk,
When did the DHE policy change for single-sex couples? I heard they were reviewing it, but I wasn't aware that they now allocate housing to homosexual couples?
--------------
I'll make that statement a bit clearer, we have always had the option of allocating surplus SFA to serving homosexuals where they had a parental responsibility to a child/ren. I thought that we were not allocating SFA to same sex couples because we open the flood gates to anyone in a relationship i.e. met her on Fri, shacked up by following Friday. I thought this was still under review by PTC and DHE?

I got a bulletin today... something along the lines of "any serviceman/woman in a legally recognised civil partnership will have the same rights, benefits and restrictions as those awarded to married personnel. This comes into effect on 5th Dec 05.

I'll post the main points from it tomorrow when I get to work.

[edit] will post in new thread to keep this from going even further off topic
Reply 36
Cheers Reme,
I thought it hadn't come into force yet...not long though. They'll have to apply a matrix to check eligibility.
Reply 37
Que?
Cheers Reme,
I thought it hadn't come into force yet...not long though. They'll have to apply a matrix to check eligibility.

eligibility is homosexual and civil partnership. caveat is it does not apply to any other long term relationship at the moment.
Reply 38
SMS - Sentry Maintenance Squadron

Where I work :biggrin:
Reply 39
Could someone please confirm for me that the correct abbreviation for squadron leader is definitely Sqn Ldr? And not Sq Ldr?

Thanks

Latest