The Student Room Group

Disabled Students Allowance

I've applied + sent the relevant letters from my GP + other organisations confirming that I need support. I've had the assessment, and now I'm waiting for a reply. One of the things they wanted to order for me is the computer.

However, I have not been diagnosed with dyslexia, and I heard from a friend who applied several times (Even with mental illnesses) that you're more likely to not be refused if you have dyslexia. How overly strict are they?
Reply 1
DSA isn't just for students with dyslexia.
Reply 2
Don't you already have a computer?
Reply 3
DSA isn't given for diagnosis; but how it affects ytour studies.
Reply 4
Titch89
DSA isn't given for diagnosis; but how it affects ytour studies.

Exactly this. People with dyslexia are no more or less likely to receive DSA than those without. The condition makes a student eligible for DSA, but personal factors and other things decide what funding if any is given.
Bitmap
I've applied + sent the relevant letters from my GP + other organisations confirming that I need support. I've had the assessment, and now I'm waiting for a reply. One of the things they wanted to order for me is the computer.

However, I have not been diagnosed with dyslexia, and I heard from a friend who applied several times (Even with mental illnesses) that you're more likely to not be refused if you have dyslexia. How overly strict are they?

I reckon it is harder to get DSA with dyslexia because they insist on an updated assessment whereas for many conditions they asccept a previous medical opinion of your condition.
see here

http://brunel.ac.uk/442/Disability%20Service%20Documents/plugindg174794.pdf

Latest