The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
kultist
Obesity doesn't correlate with increased morbidity until you get to the BMI 35+ morbidly obese ranges. Are there more people who have been morbidly obese than people who have been underweight?

i have no idea d00d, but there are more people tonight dying of heart disease and related complications than are dying of starvation in the UK.
Reply 81
aeonflux
That isn't what you said originally. You claimed and I quote "it's much healthier to be overweight" and used those statistics to back it up, when you would be the first to criticise another person doing the same thing to argue the opposite side of the debate.

Did I claim that being overweight made you healthier, or just that overweight people are more healthy?

theres a reason why the "normal" weight range is set between 20-25 and above that is overweight and obese.

Yeah? Well why don't you share that reason, because from here it looks like the obesity crisis is mainly about fat-hate; and I'd welcome some evidence to suggest otherwise.
Reply 82
kultist
Did I claim that being overweight made you healthier, or just that overweight people are more healthy?

If you claimed either of these you would be wrong
Reply 83
kultist

Yeah? Well why don't you share that reason, because from here it looks like the obesity crisis is mainly about fat-hate; and I'd welcome some evidence to suggest otherwise.

Maybe you should give this a read.

Reverse epidemiology is a term for a medical hypothesis which holds that obesity and high cholesterol may, counterintuitively, be protective and associated with greater survival in certain groups of people, such as very elderly individuals or those with certain chronic diseases. It further postulates that normal to low body mass index or normal values of cholesterol may be detrimental and associated with higher mortality in asymptomatic people.
[...]
Although the negative health consequences of obesity in the general population are well supported by the available evidence, health outcomes in certain subgroups seem to be improved at an increased BMI, a phenomenon known as the obesity survival paradox.[5] The paradox was first described in 1999 in overweight and obese people undergoing hemodialysis,[5] and has subsequently been found in those with heart failure, and peripheral artery disease (PAD)

Emphasis on "Although the negative health consequences of obesity in the general population are well supported by the available evidence". What makes you think you know better than the doctors? If they tell me that being overweight is unhealthy, I'm more inclined to believe them.
Reply 84
WEB
there is no way they are equally unhealthy...the detrimental effects of being overweight are well proven in both lab studies and in humans. Meanwhile, caloric restriction is shown to extend life in a number of studies. In fact, the biggest killer in the UK is directly linked to being overweight, as are a number of cancers.

Physically no that's obv, though it's still more damaging to someone's perception that they can't fit the public's 'ideal' figure. Do you know how many in the UK have fallen into depression or some other mental disorder as a result of feeling rejected from society?
Reply 85
No. OP, you're an idiot. Both obesity and size-zero are extremes, that are both equally unhealthy. And mentally, the diet to keep a size-zero figure is awful, and so bad for not only your physical growth but brain stimulation and what not.
Reply 86
Kezzi
obviously they are more complex than that; i've suffered from it, i should know. but if the media didn't parade size zero, i would never have felt the need to be that way in the first place. the "size zero mentality" is a real trigger for that kind of eating disorder.

just because someone suffers from cancer doesnt mean they automatically become an expert on the subject or automatically know the cause or cure. in the same way, just because you were anorexic doesnt make you the font of all knowledge on eating disorders.
Reply 87
I dont think being a bit overweight is worse than being a bit underweight in therms of health. You may be comparing people who are abit underweight with the obese.
Thinking about it, being underweight might actually be more negative in the sense that people die as soon as they get below a certain food intake / weight (e.g i get to 4 stone, i die (4 stone underweight). but with increasing weight you wil probably survive a while (e.g if im 20 stone overweight, i may live for many years, even if i have a higher chance of disease. )
Reply 88
_lauren
No. OP, you're an idiot. Both obesity and size-zero are extremes, that are both equally unhealthy. And mentally, the diet to keep a size-zero figure is awful, and so bad for not only your physical growth but brain stimulation and what not.

i dont see the need to start insulting people directly like that, it isnt going to add anything to the discussion and just undermines your otherwise valid point.
Reply 89
What!?
Both are as bad as each other - either way your organs can easily fail. Sure, there is alot of media coverage on the impacts of obeasity, however this is due to the RISE in obeasity and the government are trying to clamp down on it. To the OP: You actually think size 0 models are healthier than obease people... The amount of runway models that have dropped dead ON the runway is huge...sure sign of being healthy. :s
WEB
just because someone suffers from cancer doesnt mean they automatically become an expert on the subject or automatically know the cause or cure. in the same way, just because you were anorexic doesnt make you the font of all knowledge on eating disorders.

When you attend counselling, see professionals etc about your ED, you do end up with a hell of a lot of knowledge about the subject, because you have to in order to recover. Someone who hasn't been through an ED can not truly understand it, no matter the number of hours they spend studying it and the qualifications they have.
Reply 91
WEB

That is extreamly insensitive. Plus, Cancer is totally differant, even scientists are struggling to find a full cure.
If anyone is in a position to give some sort of authoritive answer, it's someone who has been through it and came out the other end.
Reply 92
tinkx91
What!?
Both are as bad as each other - either way your organs can easily fail. Sure, there is alot of media coverage on the impacts of obeasity, however this is due to the RISE in obeasity and the government are trying to clamp down on it. To the OP: You actually think size 0 models are healthier than obease people... The amount of runway models that have dropped dead ON the runway is huge...sure sign of being healthy. :s

it was an obvious exaggeration to highlight a point, people should understand that not everything is meant to be taken literally. It simply was an extreme enough example to counter balance the other side of the argument i.e. morbidly obese. most people seem to have taken it literally tho, so next time i post an abstract idea ill be sure to highlight the fact LOL
neither of those things are healthy, they are both extremes. size zero is anorexic and unhealthy.
People with anorexia and other similar eating disorders have far worse health risks than those that are obese, both in the long term and short term. The BBC lists these risks: "Lack of food deprives the body of essential protein and prevents the normal metabolism of fat, resulting in:

An irregular heartbeat that can lead to heart failure and death
Dehydration
Kidney stone formation and kidney failure
Weakness because of muscle wasting
Constipation
Growth of fine downy hair on the face and arms
Lack of calcium, which may cause osteoporosis
Interrupted or no periods"

I don't think that role models have much of an impact over how people want their bodies to be. As soon as people see that their role model is unhealthy, then they tend to just discard them as a role model because they see them as unhealthy. When people want a certain figure, then they have role models that have that figure, like if someone wants a body like jessica alba, then they will probably follow her diet and exercise regime. What I'm trying to say is that there is more chance of someone aspiring to have a healthy figure than one that is too skinny or too large. IMO, people should be looking at this BMI chart rather than looking at unhealthy role models:
If I could be size 0 trust me I would.
Reply 96
i think when it comes to health its not the size that should be encouraged, its the diet etc. As some size zero ladies will be very healthy and have a natural small frame for others it will cause health problems in the long run. I agree obesity is a problem but why get rid of one problem in exchange for another. Girls do not need to be pressured to look a certain way, as previously said this can lead to depression, body dismorphia etc (excuse spelling) but excercise and maintaining a healthy weight for the individual as well as a healthy diet is what does need adressing.
Reply 97
The thing is , being thin is presented as the desirable body. All you have to do is type "am I fat?" into google and see the amount of results that come up ,there are sites devoted to becoming skinny and practically none (if any) devoted to " how to become over weight/how to gain weight " . So ,if this isn't enough to make over-weight people want to loose weight (or motivate them enough to do it ) ,then glorifying size 0 models isn't going to do it , it's only going to make everybody else more worried about their body .

For example , at my school " you're fat!" is used as an insult,I've seen girls break down in the middle of corridors over it , I've seen (experienced) it triggering eating disorders . "you're skinny !" is normally taken as compliment ,although I think making comments on people's weight is rude full stop . Yes, there are articles in magazines glorifying curves , but in the same magazine the clothes will all be worn by a skinny model , the majority of the celebrities in it will be thin , there will be articles about weight loss, how to tone up ect .

My point is, as a culture we're already obsessed with being skinny , if this isn't enough to prompt a drop in obesity then nothing will , the people who will suffer will be people who are fine but are suddenly presented with even higher , unhealthier ,unacheviable standards of beauty . Why can't we promote health instead of a size ? .
Reply 98
I have to say, I do feel bad for naturally skinny girls given the proliferation of 'real women are curvy' campaigns and the like. Surely real women are all manner of different shapes and sizes? Smaller people do get more stick than fat ones.
The problem is this - you say Size 0, people *think* skeletor.

Which in the majority of cases is simply not true. People seem to have a very warped idea of how big sizes are (I would also like to point out at this juncture that we're talking UK Size 4. On this side of the pond, there is no such thing as Size 0).

Now, I am 5'10", and I have a 23" (yes, Size 4 :O) waist. I've always been like this, and I do not diet or over-exercise. I walk my dogs and that's about it. I am not skeletal, anorexic, bulimic and I have no problems with food. I don't calorie count either. I just don't eat excessive amounts of junk :dontknow: it's not rocket science to eat healthily.

To give you an idea of what a "Size 0" waist actually looks like, please see below. It's mine. Please note the curves and the lack of bones sticking out. (If anyone can tell me how to put it into a "Spoiler", you know one of those bars where you have to click to see it, so that I don't become a bad role model for the idiotic impressionable :rolleyes: that'd be great!)

Why should I not be allowed to be a role model because of my size?

Latest