The Student Room Group

Should homosexuality be taught in primary schools?

How can people actually be arguing to be able to teach homosexuality in primary schools?!
Some argue that this must be done otherwise homosexual students will be bullied- I mean kids get bullied for having big noses in primary school, and few children will even know that they are gay!
I am in no way homophobic and have a few homosexual friends- but woah this is way too much!
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol at the way you twist things around :biggrin:

the whole thing is about teaching homosexual children how to use protection during intercourse, not to teach homosexuality. See the difference? Besides, sexuality is not something that can be "taught", you acquire it naturally.

It would reduce the number of people with AIDS and help children who ARE homosexual to come to terms with it.

I'll let it go this time because you're new here, but usually I'd slate someone for believing that sex ed is about teaching children to be homosexuals. That's NOT what it's about.
Reply 2
Of course. You're never too young to start bumming.
Reply 3
MrHappy_J
the whole thing is about teaching homosexual children how to use protection during intercourse, not to teach homosexuality.

Primary school children really shouldn't be sodomizing one another though should they?
Reply 4
Howard
Primary school children really shouldn't be sodomizing one another though should they?

what does sodomizing mean?

in my opinion, the sooner they learn about protection the better.

edit: just checked what it means. I think you got the wrong end of the stick, sex ed is not encouraging children to have sex at an early age, rather that they are prepared to act responsibly when they do engage in sexual intercourse.
Reply 5
MrHappy_J
what does sodomizing mean?

in my opinion, the sooner they learn about protection the better.

edit: just checked what it means. I think you got the wrong end of the stick, sex ed is not encouraging children to have sex at an early age, rather that they are prepared to act responsibly when they do engage in sexual intercourse.

Not that I particularly care what you think - if you have to reach for a dictionary to look up the word sodomy you're clearly no expert - but I'm curious to know what your opinion is based on.
They teach religion in schools so why not?
Reply 7
To be honest I think it's quite a wise move to be made, it brings everything forward and children who have been brought up to be told it's wrong in maybe a christian home will know that actually it isn't a bad thing and there is nothing unhealthy about it. Children who might also be growing up "wanting to give their sweets" to the same gender might also feel more confident and it's nothing worse than teaching other things such as religion etc.
Reply 8
I think children should be taught not only what heterosexuality is but also what homosexuality/bisexuality is and, like MrHappy_J said, how to use protection.

I have a lesbian friend who always thought she was wrong for finding the same gender attractive, because homosexuality had never mentioned during her sex ed. Had she been aware of what it was, she could have been saved some of the confusion and guilt she felt for fancying girls.
Reply 9
Howard
Not that I particularly care what you think - if you have to reach for a dictionary to look up the word sodomy you're clearly no expert - but I'm curious to know what your opinion is based on.

wow, someone has a superiority complex. :rolleyes: Why do you have to look down on me? My opinion is based on the high rates of teens having underage sex, AIDS, teen pregnancy etc. Sex education, including for homosexuals, could help reduce all these factors and make teenagers aware of the risks of unprotected sex.

Don't be such an arrogant snob.
Reply 10
emilia13
To be honest I think it's quite a wise move to be made, it brings everything forward and children who have been brought up to be told it's wrong in maybe a christian home will know that actually it isn't a bad thing and there is nothing unhealthy about it. Children who might also be growing up "wanting to give their sweets" to the same gender might also feel more confident and it's nothing worse than teaching other things such as religion etc.

Nothing to do with my views on homosexuality or christianity - but I'm really not sure how keen I am on teaching my kids one thing at home while the State is busy telling them that I don't know what I am talking about and that a completely opposing view is the right one to have.

Sets a dangerous precident I think. Generally, I prefer the burden of child raising/personality moulding to be with parents, not the state.
Yes and it should be taught by the PE teachers.
Lol why are people talking about how primary school kids should be taught how to use protection?? Sick. That's not what's being taught.

They'll be taught - 'most of you have a mummy and a daddy, but some people have two mummies or two daddies. 'etc
Reply 13
thunder_chunky
Yes and it should be taught by the PE teachers.

in the showers

:ninja:
I don't see how you can teach homosexuality. It's not like you can indoctrinate someone into being gay (just like you can't turn a gay man straight).

I think the only thing that's necessary, is to educate children in saying that some individuals choose to be homosexual, and explain what homosexuality is - and leave it at that.

Much in the same way we educate our children what Bhuddistm, Islam, Athiesm is and what the adherants of those beliefs do.

I have no problem with that.
Mr Sparkles
Lol why are people talking about how primary school kids should be taught how to use protection?? Sick. That's not what's being taught.

They'll be taught - 'most of you have a mummy and a daddy, but some people have two mummies or two daddies. 'etc

This. :yep:

But I'm all for teaching year 5 and 6 kids the basic aspects of sex education and see no reason why it shouldn't cover other aspects of human sexuality. Sex isn't some dirty little secret and shouldn't be treated like one; and by 10/11 most kids know full well what it is and by 12/13 some of them, regardless of how determined adults are to protect their 'innocence', will actually be having sex. Seems like a good idea to get in before that point rather than leaving it too late.
heidigirl
This. :yep:

But I'm all for teaching year 5 and 6 kids the basic aspects of sex education and see know reason why it shouldn't cover other aspects of human sexuality. Sex isn't some dirty little secret and shouldn't be treated like one; and by 10/11 most kids know full well what it is and by 12/13 some of them, regardless of how determined adults are to protect their 'innocence', will actually be having sex. Seems like a good idea to get in before that point rather than leaving it too late.

Oh I forgot year 5 and 6 were primary. Yeah, we learnt about sex ed and about homosexuality, some in year 5 mainly year 6. When they said primary I was thinking like Year 1/2/3!
ROTF
How can people actually be arguing to be able to teach homosexuality in primary schools?!
Some argue that this must be done otherwise homosexual students will be bullied- I mean kids get bullied for having big noses in primary school, and few children will even know that they are gay!
I am in no way homophobic and have a few homosexual friends- but woah this is way too much!
:smile:

Official slogan for homophobes everywhere.

Teaching students ABOUT homosexuality won't make them gay, and even if it did, why would that be a problem? are you saying there's something inherently inferior about homosexuality? I would hope not.

Teach acceptance in schools, tbh you should be a lot more worried about homophobia in schools then a few of the kids ending up gay.
tired yet?

Teach acceptance in schools, tbh you should be a lot more worried about homophobia in schools then a few of the kids ending up gay.

Agree.

Howard
I'm really not sure how keen I am on teaching my kids one thing at home while the State is busy telling them that I don't know what I am talking about and that a completely opposing view is the right one to have.

Sets a dangerous precident I think. Generally, I prefer the burden of child raising/personality moulding to be with parents, not the state.

agree with this too. the classes should be optional based on parents' permission.
The fact that this is controversial shows that society is still not free of homophobia. Maybe the reason that people think this is such a weird or inappropriate idea is that they weren't exposed to homosexuality at an early enough age.

Latest

Trending

Trending