The Student Room Group

Gangsters: Organized Crime

For anyone old enough to of played it - do you know any modern games which are very similar ? - needs to run on Vista.

Here if you need your memory jogged Gangsters review

Cheers :smile:

I will neg the first person to say GTA because that is a RPG not a strategy game. :smile:
Reply 1
I have no idea which games may be similar, but I remember spending many hours on this :love:

Watching this thread for any good suggestions.
Reply 2
FrancesO
I have no idea which games may be similar, but I remember spending many hours on this :love:

:biggrin: My mum must of loved it too. Kept having to ask her what whorehouses and speakeasies were, then ask if they made much money :biggrin:
Reply 3
RyanT
:biggrin: My mum must of loved it too. Kept having to ask her what whorehouses and speakeasies were, then ask if they made much money :biggrin:

Haha, I think I was at the point were I just assumed there were some things I would never understand :rolleyes: Did you take any long-term money making ideas from the experience? :biggrin:
Reply 4
FrancesO
Haha, I think I was at the point were I just assumed there were some things I would never understand :rolleyes: Did you take any long-term money making ideas from the experience? :biggrin:

Get a good, five star accountant. :biggrin:
Reply 5
RyanT
Get a good, five star accountant. :biggrin:

Aww, now I'm going to have to try and download it - don't think I have my original CD around. :frown: So how come you looking for a modern version? Been playing it lately and need something new? I tend to find the only PC games I ever play nowadays are ones I used to love and get a craving for. :biggrin:
Reply 6
FrancesO
Aww, now I'm going to have to try and download it - don't think I have my original CD around. :frown: So how come you looking for a modern version? Been playing it lately and need something new? I tend to find the only PC games I ever play nowadays are ones I used to love and get a craving for. :biggrin:

Similar vein to your comment really :smile: Very few games around today interest me. I think in 10 years time today will be regarded as an era with a poverty of interesting ideas. Paradox still produce amazing games like Europa Universallis and Hearts of Iron but I do think the best games now lie in the past :smile:

Well I'd love to play it again but I somehow doubt it'll run okay on a windows vista PC. Ah well, this chat has given me an idea to go hunting old demos on steam :biggrin:

Besides, gangsters was just plain fun. Like the 2D GTA used to be :biggrin:

Duke Nukem quips :biggrin:
Reply 7
RyanT
For anyone old enough to of played it - do you know any modern games which are very similar ? - needs to run on Vista.

Here if you need your memory jogged Gangsters review

Cheers :smile:

I will neg the first person to say GTA because that is a RPG not a strategy game. :smile:

It's rather unique...and for the record, it works fine in Vista :smile:
Reply 8
Is there a trick to this? I've installed it from the old CD and all it does is change my resolutions, force colours to windows basic and crashes explorer :s-smilie: Got compat mode for 95 enabled.
Didn't they make Gangsters 2?
Reply 10
not-another-number
Didn't they make Gangsters 2?

They did, yes, but Gangsters 2 is actually quite different from the original.

RyanT
Is there a trick to this? I've installed it from the old CD and all it does is change my resolutions, force colours to windows basic and crashes explorer :s-smilie: Got compat mode for 95 enabled.
http://www.mastertronic.com/support.asp?pid=253#Downloads
Download the XP patch from that page and that'll hopefully sort it for you. My game definitely had no issue with running on Vista even without a patch, though; I was playing it just a few months ago...
Gangland's probably up your alley then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangland_%28video_game%29

If you be wanting for some 1930's style Gangster action, then try The Godfather Game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Godfather:_The_Game

You could take track of this, if you wanted: http://www.urban-empires.com/index.php

Seriously, though, there are no real alternatives here to Gangsters. Not talking about it being good or bad or anything, the type of game it was had never been made again. First because it was pretty tedious to learn and execute orders and all that (you had to spend time learning what the game was really like...). Second because the game was a concept at the time that didn't sell and just didn't get a big enough fanbase. You're strapped, RyanT, it apparent to see.

Unless I'm wrong, which could be the case.

P.S. GTA is an Action-Adventure game, not an RPG. If you're thinking of the `stats` (San Andreas) and mission trees from the whole series, those are `lite-RPG` features for which most served almost-purely asthetic purposes. They used in many games, but they are not relied on heavily for the core game and, as such, do not count.
Reply 12
I loved that game :biggrin:
Reply 13
Gangsters 2 was far better, although way too easy. Shame it wasnt patched up more to make police/FBI an actual threat.

Godfather game - Poor ripoff of GTA. Entertaining for a day's worth of play but not much more.
https//m.reddit.com/r/GangstersOC
Trying to bring all the hardcore fans together so hopefully we can make something happen.
https//m.reddit.com/r/GangstersOC

Trying to bring all the hardcore fans together so hopefully we can make something happen.
Reply 16
I would question the intelligence of someone who would suggest third-person sandbox games like GTA or Mafia.

I haven't played it, but Omerta: City of Gangsters is the closest I can think of.
Hi,

We have created this google group ( groups.google.com/group/gangsters-organized-crime-development ) for all developers and a like to join who'd be interested in discussing recreating this great game. Please add yourself there and I will subsequently add you to our Slack development group at gocdev.slack.com. We're currently based there.

We're looking first to accumulate enough talent and skills and see what we have and then plan how we can approach the development stage.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest