The Student Room Group

Graduate entry into medicine

Hey guys

I was wondering if you could help me. I am currently undertaking a BSc Biochemistry degree and i am on target for gain a first class honours degree.

I am interesting in perusing a career in medicine after i graduate and i was wondering whether my a-levels and GCSE grades will be taken into consideration. I got CCC in my levels (maths, chem, bio).

I was also wondering if the university you graduate from will be taken into account e.g someone from oxford with a first in biochem pplying to (graduate entry into medicine) GEM compared to someone from royal Holloway with the same degree and grades.

Reply 1
siamak3096
Hey guys

I was wondering if you could help me. I am currently undertaking a BSc Biochemistry degree and i am on target for gain a first class honours degree.

I am interesting in perusing a career in medicine after i graduate and i was wondering whether my a-levels and GCSE grades will be taken into consideration. I got CCC in my levels (maths, chem, bio).

I was also wondering if the university you graduate from will be taken into account e.g someone from oxford with a first in biochem pplying to (graduate entry into medicine) GEM compared to someone from royal Holloway with the same degree and grades.

Some still ask for A-level results even with a science degree, some don't at all. All depends on where you're applying really! You biggest thing is getting the experience needed, a decent personal statement, the best result as possible on whatever entry exam they ask you to sit etc etc. Where you did your first degree should not come into it (like normal postgrad applications).

What I will say though is that the GEP is probably even more competitive than the 5 yr course so be prepared to apply for both the 4 year AND 5 year courses and to end up on the 5 year course with 80 other 18 yr olds.
siamak3096
Hey guys

Some will consider your a-levels, some won't. Departmental websites are a good place to look for entry requirements, surprisingly.

There are probably 25 more important application factors that admissions would consider in an application before they considered prestige of university.

Finally, it's an undergraduate degree. Wrong subforum.
Reply 3
ohh sorry for posting it in the wrong place, i was sure i clicked on postgraduates.

I was just wondering what would be the top 3 factors that admissions tutors looks for in application apart from work experience and relevant degree subject ?
Reply 4
siamak3096
ohh sorry for posting it in the wrong place, i was sure i clicked on postgraduates.

I was just wondering what would be the top 3 factors that admissions tutors looks for in application apart from work experience and relevant degree subject ?

OKAY, im in the same position as you...

But i think you need to "research" a lot more than you seem to have done.

GEP is very competitive, to the point I'm not even going to bother going for GEP, its not even worth it.

Your A level grades aren't that bad, you can still apply... but try and eliminate the ones you defo defo can't apply to.

You need to achieve 2.1/ 1.1 for bham and oxbridge it think, and a lot of universities dont bother even predicting you a higher grade if you dont achieve it now.
Reply 5
Hey, i understand that it is competitive, i am currently on a first having achieved 70% in all of my assignments. From the university websites most of them state that they require a 2.1 or a first, some even say that they do not require any scientific background ...... but what i was confused about is that i thought it would of been less competitive than undergraduate medicine seeing as most people dont get a 1.1 or 2.1 or just dont want to continue futher education ...... also i was wondering apart from grades what other factors do university take into account when considiring applicants ??
siamak3096
Hey, i understand that it is competitive, i am currently on a first having achieved 70% in all of my assignments. From the university websites most of them state that they require a 2.1 or a first, some even say that they do not require any scientific background ...... but what i was confused about is that i thought it would of been less competitive than undergraduate medicine seeing as most people dont get a 1.1 or 2.1 or just dont want to continue futher education ...... also i was wondering apart from grades what other factors do university take into account when considiring applicants ??

It is competitive because:
A. Less places for graduates.
B. Prior University education opens it to a wider audience of applicants.

Factors (In no particular order):
1. Academics.
2. Work experience.
3. Extra-curriculars.
4. Personal statement.
5. Entry exam performance.
6. Interview performance.
Reply 7
Nutta!
OKAY, im in the same position as you...

But i think you need to "research" a lot more than you seem to have done.

GEP is very competitive, to the point I'm not even going to bother going for GEP, its not even worth it.

Your A level grades aren't that bad, you can still apply... but try and eliminate the ones you defo defo can't apply to.

You need to achieve 2.1/ 1.1 for bham and oxbridge it think, and a lot of universities dont bother even predicting you a higher grade if you dont achieve it now.

Are BM5 places for graduates any easier (relatively speaking) to get? arent there only a few places for graduates on BM5 courses?
Reply 8
sorry to be a retard..... what is the difference between BM5 and normal graduate entry into medicine ? :-s
Reply 9
siamak3096
Hey guys

Hiya mate

No, the university you go to does not matter.

Also: Are you Iranian? :awesome:
Reply 10
siamak3096
sorry to be a retard..... what is the difference between BM5 and normal graduate entry into medicine ? :-s

"normal" graduate entry is a 4 year medicine course (A104) that only applicants with a past qualification i.e. in most cases a degree can apply for.

The "BM5" well what you mean is the 5 year medicine degree (A100) that is for A level applicant to apply for but many graduates also apply, for varied reasons either they can't get into the 4 year courses, slower pace etc

Hope that explains it...otherwise have a look a the medicine guide
Reply 11
"Normal" grad entry is A101. :smile:
Reply 12
Democracy
Hiya mate

No, the university you go to does not matter.

Also: Are you Iranian? :awesome:

Hey yes i am iranian :-) i take it from your flag that you are also iranian .....
Reply 13
thanks guys for clearing that up :smile:
Sorry but i have one more questions lol, just wondering whether it makes a difference for applicants if they have a masters or just a straight degree to get into graduate entry ? or do the uni's conclude there decision based on your degree ?
Reply 14
siamak3096
thanks guys for clearing that up :smile:
Sorry but i have one more questions lol, just wondering whether it makes a difference for applicants if they have a masters or just a straight degree to get into graduate entry ? or do the uni's conclude there decision based on your degree ?

Again, this depends on the university you are applying to.

Latest

Trending

Trending