The Student Room Group

should i retake yr 12, 'cos i just want to?

This poll is closed

Which is better; sixth forms or colleges?

Sixth forms0%
Colleges100%
Total votes: 1
Hey guys :smile: I'd really appreciate your advice with this :confused:

I'm just about to do my summer exams for year 12 in Law Psychology English Literature and unecessary critical thinking. Academically i'm doing alright, but the sixth form as a whole :eek: I thought the whole 'moving into college' thing was going to be a new experience and fun. It's not. I'm confined to the library, as the common room is just dull and the its a COMPLETELY different culture. to top it off, after a couple of months, i've realised that i don't want to do these subjects. I want to do eng lit &lang, spanish, textiles and psychology. Those courses were my first loves, but i compromised them because i thought the sixth form would be great

In my experience, sixth forms are not great. colleges= more independence + a RANGE of social groups, cultures and ethnicities+ more opportunities outside your course choice.

Now i know some people may say i've wasted a year, but i'm seriously considering just retaking the whole yr12 and starting afresh. I'll be ahead in psychology and eng as i would have done the 1st half. And i LOVE Spanish and textiles, plus da college i'm looking @ does bbll, proper bbll :smile:

It sounds as if i'm blabbering on, but what's your opinions on sixth forms? should you should retake the year simply because you want to?
You can do whatever you want.
If I was in your position I would retake.
the A-Levels you want to do sound better than the ones you're doing at the moment. Law and Critical thinking are considered as 'soft' subjects for a lot of universities. If you really like Spanish and Textiles so much you should go for it - you'll regret it otherwise - I don't think it would have been a waste of your time at all :smile:
Reply 2
It's not a rare situation, I know plenty of people who have gone down that route? If you're truly unhappy with your subjects, I'd suggest talking to a trusted teacher or going down to your local Connexions. :smile:
Reply 3
If your current alevel choices will affect your degree choice i would change.

Do you find there is a large sports culture at your sixth form. A group such as the football team or the rugby team? At my sixth form everyday about 20 people will be wearing the colleges rugby kit (many whom you would think judging by their appearance are studying their 6th year at college yet their mental capacity seems significantly below average) and stay amongst themselves all day in a very homosexual manner
I'm in the exact same position and I'm thinking of moving to college and retaking the year cos ive let myself get depressed this year for no reason. I know I'm capable of getting A's...not CEU which is what I predict I'm gonna get.