The Student Room Group

City, Kent or RHUL (foundation year)? Computer Science

Ok so im just looking for any opinions of these uni's for Computer Science next year. I have the following offers to choose from:

Kent
City University London
Royal Holloway (but with a foundation year)

I know Royal Holloway is ranked highly and loved it on the open day but they've as for a foundation year which is putting me off (more money & time). Kent i though was "ok" ... but only ok at the open day. City I really got a good fell for and could see my self there but there not ranked so well.

so what would you choose out of the 3 above and why? does ranking really have much effect on first job / career? (thats mostly for City)

Is there really much difference in what you learn?
Reply 1
I think Uni reputation does have a fairly big impact on career - both in terms of prestige but also in how good the courses are. I would suggest going for RHUL - it does have a foundation year, but a year longer being a student is a good thing in most people's books :smile: Also, the degree you get at the end of it would be a lot more valuable than that from a lesser Uni.
Reply 2
laser
I think Uni reputation does have a fairly big impact on career - both in terms of prestige but also in how good the courses are. I would suggest going for RHUL - it does have a foundation year, but a year longer being a student is a good thing in most people's books :smile: Also, the degree you get at the end of it would be a lot more valuable than that from a lesser Uni.

Thanks laser, didn't think of like that :smile:

At the moment i'm still thinking about City but don't really know how a CS degree would be see from City. Would a first from City = a 2.1 from Kent or RHUL in terms of employers?
Only other real question is would it be possible to go from City with a first or 2.1 to study for an MSc at a 'higher ranked' uni (e.g. top 20)?

Latest

Trending

Trending