The Student Room Group

Rejected! Still any chance for me?

Hi guys,

I just received my first 2 replies to my UCAS application and they were both "Unsuccessful"! I am really worried now, because the both places I applied to were my top priorities. I live in London and wanted to go to either Imperial or UCL, which both rejected me. I have no other Uni in London. I don't want to travel abroad.

The coarse I am studying is Civil Engineering. I could not find any good university close or in London. I applied to UCL, Imperial, Bath, Bristol, and Loughborough.

My predicted grades are A*AAA
My AS results were AAAB (you probably knew there was no A* last year)

Please help me and tell me is it still possible to get into Imperial OR UCL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Let's say I get A*AAA or A*AAB, which is absolutely according to the Imperial requirements. Is there ANY chance of getting into Imperial or UCL (AAB) still?
Gap year and reapply.
Reply 3
Uhhh... probably not unless you want to reapply. Why did you apply to places you didn't want to go..?
Reply 4
Not this year I guess. I have the same problem with LSE which rejected me on monday. I called them today and told that I won Young Enterprise today and if that could change anything. They gave me one fat NO. Call them and ask.
Reply 5
Muffinz
Uhhh... probably not unless you want to reapply. Why did you apply to places you didn't want to go..?

As I told you there is NO good university close to London that is good at Civil Engineering apart from Imperial and UCL. So the others were meant to be backups. I had to apply there, because there was no other decent university for Civil Engineering within 2 hrz of drive.
Reply 6
I dont think so for this cycle, once a uni rejects you thats it untill the next year but if you really want it why don't you take a year out. Your grades are really good and you can work on them over a year.

I know how bad it feels because I've already got 3 rejetions,1 offer. I'm just going to get A*A*A*Aac as I'm predicted, take a year out.
Reply 7
Rejection means rejection, my advice would be ask why you were rejected, and re apply next year.
I assume you meant you wont go anywhere but london, but manchester is basically london but a bit cheaper, be more open or look through clearing.
Remember everyone applying for your course has the required grades, so that wont make you stand out. say 10 applicants per place all with the same grades, you have as much chance as everyone else.
Reply 8
Will1692
Rejection means rejection, my advice would be ask why you were rejected, and re apply next year.
I assume you meant you wont go anywhere but london, but manchester is basically london but a bit cheaper, be more open or look through clearing.
Remember everyone applying for your course has the required grades, so that wont make you stand out. say 10 applicants per place all with the same grades, you have as much chance as everyone else.

I think you don't get me! I simply don't want to go outside London. I am living here. I just don't want to stay away from home. It will be expensive AND also a lot of work to do, which I won't at home.
Reply 9
muffingg
As I told you there is NO good university close to London that is good at Civil Engineering apart from Imperial and UCL. So the others were meant to be backups. I had to apply there, because there was no other decent university for Civil Engineering within 2 hrz of drive.

Your version of good might mean the "best" UCL and Imperial are both in the top 8ish in the UK. Top 20 is still good, you need to be more open to other places. Its like me saying im going to apply for Oxbridge and LSE. The chance of 3 rejections, due to the universities being incredibly competitive, is very high, even if i meet the requirements.
A year out may solve nothing, because even the best applicants still get rejected ,so imo its a bit risk. :smile:
awh, i feel for you! i got rejected by the one place i actually wanted to go (St A's) and felt like UCAS was loling at me when i got the rest unconditional :l.Life goes on though! 1. pick or 2. wait.
Reply 11
Will1692
Your version of good might mean the "best" UCL and Imperial are both in the top 8ish in the UK. Top 20 is still good, you need to be more open to other places. Its like me saying im going to apply for Oxbridge and LSE. The chance of 3 rejections, due to the universities being incredibly competitive, is very high, even if i meet the requirements.
A year out may solve nothing, because even the best applicants still get rejected ,so imo its a bit risk. :smile:

I did look at the top 20 for Civil Engineering. With "good" I meant a University in the top 15 or so at least. If you look in TimesOnline, you will notice that there is no other than the two I applied to, which are really close to London. Also according to my grades I don't think I should be aiming at anything under rank 15 INSIDE UK.
Reply 12
Study really really hard, get those As and A*s, take a gap year, travel or do some work experience, then reapply. Your other choices are still really good though, perhaps you should still consider them?
muffingg
I did look at the top 20 for Civil Engineering. With "good" I meant a University in the top 15 or so at least. If you look in TimesOnline, you will notice that there is no other than the two I applied to, which are really close to London. Also according to my grades I don't think I should be aiming at anything under rank 15 INSIDE UK.

Theres more than just grades, perhaps they rejected you on the basis that you lack work experience, or had a poor personal statement or there was just better candidates to fill the places they have
Reply 14
Since UCL and Imperial are amazing unis, and such, I've heard that they may not even reconsider on the basis that you have already been rejected. (could be a myth I dunno) Lets say you get your Predicted grades which seem really high, it maybe better for you to apply to a good university outside London. I realise that you don't really want to leave London. If it is money problems, with your grades you could try for a scholarship or a bursary. if you are legible you could also get a grant. your other three choices are still pretty good universities. I am actually facing a similar choice atm, i have got an offer from unis outside london, warwick, but was rejected from london unis UCL for mechanical engineering
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-engineering-civil There are plenty of amazing unis all over England, and as long as you get on a decent course, then it shouldn't matter where you live. Why do you feel like you have to apply for a uni in London or abroad? And the league tables don't tell you the whole story, tbh.

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/home.html
http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/civil-engineering-degree-courses-united-kingdom/civil+engineering/m/united+kingdom/united+kingdom/25/0/a1/0/vd/0/1/0/uc/page.html

There is still UCAS Extra and clearing, so there's still a chance that you will get into the ones that you want.
Reply 16
muffingg

If you are so keen for icl and ucl, sit your ass down at home and re-apply next yr!! These schools can never reverse their rejection so accept it, i too was rejected and i know how it feels. Note that even if you apply next year you may not be guaranteed an offer.
Reply 17
muffingg

Like someone else said grades arnt everything.
Im going to Manchester which is top 20 and its still AAB.
Universities are starting to realise you need to be a well rounded person, and if you watch the news competitions for places are going up.
say you take a year and apply for Imperial again, all applicants have similar grades to you or they wouldnt apply, then 10 people to a place, they then look on PS, Work experience etc, and i guess you were not there this year.
Im saying applying next year is too risky, you could find yourself in the same situation and if your definately going to university you need to open up abit, i applied to two awesome unis, two nice well respected ones, and the safe option for if it goes badly.
I got rejected from the awesome ones, but im still going to a fantastic place.
Hope this helps
You can either be picky on location or on reputation, but if you want both London area *and* a great university then you may be looking at rejections because it's so competitive. Maybe if you reapply then you might get an offer but it is by no means certain and if being close to London is so important to you then you need to apply to less prestigious universities in the London area as well.
Reply 19
Consider clearing as a last resort?

Latest

Trending

Trending