The Student Room Group

Southampton Vs Royal Holloway

i made a similar thread to this, but because of my so called 'text talk' which i aplogise for guys as i find it quicker and easier to type that way, hardly many people commented and i did not get as many views i wanted. So i applied to LSE,Birmingham, Southampton, Royal holloway and Surrey. I got rejected by Birmingham and LSE. I have an offerr from southamptonn for economics and management sciences and from Royal Holloway a offer for economics. Now what i wanted to ask you guys is which of these 2 unis has more prestige and reputation and s well known as a great uni for economics and overall in general name?
Also is economics and management sciences seen to be a weaker degreee than pure economics, and also can a person do a masters in economics after doing a economics and management degree from southampton or will they be disadvantaged compared to a person with a economics degree?

P.S: i visited southampton on the 17th february, I liked the campus and the accomadation, but the lecturers did not impress me, they failed to answer my questions properly,and failed to outline a question i had about the course. I will be visiting Royal holloway on the 10th march to see how i find that.

So please go give your views and opinions, they are largley appreciated because i need the help in making the decision of what uni i go to and which degree i take and that will affect my future so please do help guys. Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Southampton, look at TAELT , it is probably seen as a weaker subject than pure economics.

Dont go on lecturers, there will be very good ones and very bad ones regardless of which university you go to and you will be changing lecturers probably every term
Reply 2
Southampton is probably seen as the "better" university, if that's how you want to make your decision. Also, like goian said, there will be good and bad lecturers at any university. :smile:
After visiting RHUL you should be in a strong position to decide however personally i would rank a RHUL Economics degree higher than an Economics and Management degree from Southampton. The main question is how do you feel about doing management, are you interested in it?
Reply 4
yoyo462001
After visiting RHUL you should be in a strong position to decide however personally i would rank a RHUL Economics degree higher than an Economics and Management degree from Southampton. The main question is how do you feel about doing management, are you interested in it?

I dunno why, but I could imagine Paulwhy saying that exact same thing you did, word for word :p:
Reply 5
yoyo462001

I wouldnt mind doing management in my degree, even though it would not allow me to take more modules from outside my degree, areas which highly interest me such as politics and history. However i do think i would slightly prefer a pure econonmics course, even though i quite dislike math, but the issue is is economics and managment viewed as a far weaker degree than economics, as southampton is ranked higher in the league tables and TALET than royal holloway, is a joint degree in economics weaker from a higher ranked uni than a pure economics degree than a lower ranked uni?
Reply 6
anymore views and opinions?
Reply 7
You wont be disadvantaged in doing an Economics MSC in most universities providing you get a strong first degree classification and have studied Micro Macro and perhaps some econometrics. You have to consider that you have to fund this all out of pocket (Or a CDL) so it is an important point to keep in mind!

I think Southampton might be slightly more reputable but its marginal consider the costs of studying in London and the benefits of eachs location / department / campus and see which suits you best.
Reply 8
DaddyT
You wont be disadvantaged in doing an Economics MSC in most universities providing you get a strong first degree classification and have studied Micro Macro and perhaps some econometrics. You have to consider that you have to fund this all out of pocket (Or a CDL) so it is an important point to keep in mind!

I think Southampton might be slightly more reputable but its marginal consider the costs of studying in London and the benefits of eachs location / department / campus and see which suits you best.

I did not say would i be disadvantaged doing an MSC economics, what i asked was would taking economics and management sciences at Southampton disadvantage me in applying to do a MSC at top level unis such as oxbridge/ucl/lse?
Reply 9
Nurie
I did not say would i be disadvantaged doing an MSC economics, what i asked was would taking economics and management sciences at Southampton disadvantage me in applying to do a MSC at top level unis such as oxbridge/ucl/lse?

It will, severely. The BSc Economics and Management Sciences at Southampton limits you massively as it's more of a Management Sciences with Economics course; in the second and third years you have few economics options (all based around industrial economics), you don't cover more the more advanced macroeconomic (growth) or game theory modules on offer to straight economics students, and also you cover no econometrics.

Given the option, I'd go for RHUL since you're doing just economics, you'll cover the core modules, you'll get to do econometrics both in your second and third year, you have the option of doing game theory in your third year, and all in all, a straight Economics degree from RHUL prepares you better for a MSc Economics than a BSc Economics and Management Sciences from Southampton.
Reply 10
.ACS.
It will, severely. The BSc Economics and Management Sciences at Southampton limits you massively as it's more of a Management Sciences with Economics course; in the second and third years you have few economics options (all based around industrial economics), you don't cover more the more advanced macroeconomic (growth) or game theory modules on offer to straight economics students, and also you cover no econometrics.

Given the option, I'd go for RHUL since you're doing just economics, you'll cover the core modules, you'll get to do econometrics both in your second and third year, you have the option of doing game theory in your third year, and all in all, a straight Economics degree from RHUL prepares you better for a MSc Economics than a BSc Economics and Management Sciences from Southampton.

Thanks for that reply very useful. Also another question does Economics and managment sciences limint the possible future careers compared an Economics degree. And do you also feel that employers view economic and management sciences as a lesser compared to an economics degree?
Reply 11
Nurie

Yes and my answer was no you will not be disadvantaged going forward onto an MSC providing you have a good degree classification and have studied micro macro and econometrics...I thought i made that clear, perhaps not.

However what you didn't mention in your first post are your aspirations for going on to Oxbridge/UCL/LSE so in light of the new information I would now say you would be disadvtanged. What stands these 3 unis out, and a couple more, is just how rigorous and technical their courses are. If you havn't got an A level maths and a strong Quant based undergrad degree you can forget about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending