The Student Room Group

Reapplying - Surveying

Hi,

I'm about to apply (late) for Quantity Surveying but am really struggling to finish my PS...

Originally I applied to study Business and Accounting at Edinburgh. I had reasonable grades at Higher (AAABB) and received an unconditional offer. I scraped by first year with passes but after 2nd year I didn't have good enough grades to get in the honours course so I asked if I could take 2 of the required courses in 3rd year to achieve these grades. However I failed them both so I took 2 more in the second semester but failed them also. The university then put me into the normal BA course (which would normally be year 3 but as I had wasted a year trying to get onto honours I was on my 4th year at uni). I passed and failed some subjects in my final year and ended up with a Diploma of Higher Education instead of the BA.

I don't even have a good reason for all my poor grades. I didn't go to lectures and I didn't try. I know if I worked hard I could get decent grades. I think I just got stuck in a rut. I wasn't interested in the course but didn't do anything about it as I didn't know what to do. I'm quite an indecisive person and didn't really know what I wanted to do before. I don't know if I should say that in my statement though when I'm trying to show that I've got a stong interest in property and surveying!?

I really don't know how to explain this all in my PS. I know it looks very poor being at uni for 4 years and only having this to show for it. Especially when it only takes 2 years to get a diploma. I have to mention all the courses taken on my application, I don't want to look like I'm hiding anything. There are a few fails in there and a few B's. I've got really depressed at times but don't know if it would be sensible to mention that. I never went to the dr so wouldn't have any dr notes or anything to back it up and they might wonder why I didn't mention it to the uni. As I didn't go to lectures I didn't know anyone in my course so that also contributed to me not wanting to go to lectures. I felt quite alone.

Does anyone have any tips on how to explian my situation in a positive, concise way!? I don't think 'personal reasons' would be enough to justify those 4 years.

Surveying doesn't seem to be that popular so hoping there'll be some spaces left!

Thanks very much,
Vicki x

PS. I've also posted in the PS ask an assisant bit but I wanted ur opinions too :smile:
vicki2010
Hi,

I'm about to apply (late) for Quantity Surveying but am really struggling to finish my PS...

Originally I applied to study Business and Accounting at Edinburgh. I had reasonable grades at Higher (AAABB) and received an unconditional offer. I scraped by first year with passes but after 2nd year I didn't have good enough grades to get in the honours course so I asked if I could take 2 of the required courses in 3rd year to achieve these grades. However I failed them both so I took 2 more in the second semester but failed them also. The university then put me into the normal BA course (which would normally be year 3 but as I had wasted a year trying to get onto honours I was on my 4th year at uni). I passed and failed some subjects in my final year and ended up with a Diploma of Higher Education instead of the BA.

I don't even have a good reason for all my poor grades. I didn't go to lectures and I didn't try. I know if I worked hard I could get decent grades. I think I just got stuck in a rut. I wasn't interested in the course but didn't do anything about it as I didn't know what to do. I'm quite an indecisive person and didn't really know what I wanted to do before. I don't know if I should say that in my statement though when I'm trying to show that I've got a stong interest in property and surveying!?

I really don't know how to explain this all in my PS. I know it looks very poor being at uni for 4 years and only having this to show for it. Especially when it only takes 2 years to get a diploma. I have to mention all the courses taken on my application, I don't want to look like I'm hiding anything. There are a few fails in there and a few B's. I've got really depressed at times but don't know if it would be sensible to mention that. I never went to the dr so wouldn't have any dr notes or anything to back it up and they might wonder why I didn't mention it to the uni. As I didn't go to lectures I didn't know anyone in my course so that also contributed to me not wanting to go to lectures. I felt quite alone.

Does anyone have any tips on how to explian my situation in a positive, concise way!? I don't think 'personal reasons' would be enough to justify those 4 years.

Surveying doesn't seem to be that popular so hoping there'll be some spaces left!

Thanks very much,
Vicki x

PS. I've also posted in the PS ask an assisant bit but I wanted ur opinions too :smile:

You don't want to be coming across as indecisive or making excuses in your PS. Avoid discussion of the bad aspects of your history where possible and focus on why you want to do surveying, why you think it is the course for you and what you have gained from your previous experience.

As an aside, you need to check funding because there is a strong possibility that having completed more than 1 year of study you will need to be entirely self funded and the government will not support you with tuition fees (ie you would need to pay ~£10K a year instead of £3K).

Latest

Trending

Trending