The Student Room Group

The IB&C Pre-University Thread for School and A Level Pupils

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
BGS104
I'm doing my work experience next year and I'm considering a future in finance. So I thought that for work experience I would go to a bank of something... Anyone got any suggestions for good banks to do work experience in? Barclays, HSBC or Loylds TSB? Any one? No? :woo: :eek3: :confused: I'm also considering which A levels to do. I'm stuck between Economics and Accounting. Any help here? PLZ!

For A-Levels do Economics. It's much more respected than Accounting.
Reply 81
BGS104
I'm doing my work experience next year and I'm considering a future in finance. So I thought that for work experience I would go to a bank of something... Anyone got any suggestions for good banks to do work experience in? Barclays, HSBC or Loylds TSB? Any one? No? :woo: :eek3: :confused: I'm also considering which A levels to do. I'm stuck between Economics and Accounting. Any help here? PLZ!

Do not do Accounting.

In the first post of this thread you will find a list of A Levels from LSE that they prefer you don't study, and Accounting is one of them.

It may be a list for LSE, but you can think of it as applicable to all top 10 universities.

As for work experience, by all means try and get some in a bank, but don't feel like it's necessary. At your stage it doesn't really matter tbh, but as I've said before every little helps:smile:
Reply 82
Thanks. That's very helpfull. Cheers!
Reply 83
loki276
Do you have a link to the goldman insight day thing or do you have to email them?

They listed it as an event on their site when I went on it. It was a diversity event sponsored by The Black and Asian Professionals Network. Just have to look out for it I suppose - was around October when the event took place, if that helps.

BGS104

Econ by far. Accounting is a 'mickey-mouse' A - Level subject.
Viraj_c
They listed it as an event on their site when I went on it. It was a diversity event sponsored by The Black and Asian Professionals Network. Just have to look out for it I suppose - was around October when the event took place, if that helps.

As I mentioned above/previous page, they are discontinuing the programme from this year onwards sadly :frown:

if you're a women however, there is still some insight day thing at GS for you at A-level.
Reply 85
manchild007
As I mentioned above/previous page, they are discontinuing the programme from this year onwards sadly :frown:

if you're a women however, there is still some insight day thing at GS for you at A-level.

Ohh ok. Unlucky then. But to be fair, there is not much you can gain from a one day insight event really.

Keep looking out for stuff though. Writing letters, emails, cold calling, whatever. You might get lucky.
Reply 86
Bristol.
Reply 87
Was able to secure some work experience at JP Morgan in Trade Risk for lower sixth this year, do you think this would be something that would strengthen my PS for UCAS next cycle?
Reply 88
Yes, shows initiative and experience in real word economics.
Reply 89
wen are we supposed 2 hear from jp morgan schools thingy? any1 got acceptances yet?
Reply 90
I'm still waiting :/, been a while now.
Reply 91
Are you all talking about getting work experience during the summer whilst doing A levels? And how are you doing this i thought that IB's only did graduate recruitment and internships after A levels? Can anyone give me some links to useful sites to help with this please :]
Reply 92
joebloggs1
Are you all talking about getting work experience during the summer whilst doing A levels? And how are you doing this i thought that IB's only did graduate recruitment and internships after A levels? Can anyone give me some links to useful sites to help with this please :]

Either use connections or speculatively send CVs and cover letters and cold call.
Reply 93
joebloggs1

Suprisingly came across a connection during college, trust me ask around.
Reply 94
Ok will do. Btw through my dad i know a fincial advisor who will let me have some work exp with him during the summer. As well its possible that i could be working at a bank for a few weeks as well through my dad. As these are not "schemes" do they still count alot when applying for uni's? thanks :]
Reply 95
joebloggs1
Ok will do. Btw through my dad i know a fincial advisor who will let me have some work exp with him during the summer. As well its possible that i could be working at a bank for a few weeks as well through my dad. As these are not "schemes" do they still count alot when applying for uni's? thanks :]

I think as long as you can demonstrate in the personal statement what you gain from the work experience then that should be perfectly fine:smile:
Reply 96
hi where are the univeristy info like the target ones etc
Reply 97
Is a degree in maths from cambridge seen as being as good preperation as an economics degree from the LSE for investment banking etc. ? Coz i've heard it's possibly the most difficult uni course in the country, even for naturally gifted mathematicians, and was wondering how it fares for investment baking etc.. ???
Reply 98
conzag123
Is a degree in maths from cambridge seen as being as good preperation as an economics degree from the LSE for investment banking etc. ? Coz i've heard it's possibly the most difficult uni course in the country, even for naturally gifted mathematicians, and was wondering how it fares for investment baking etc.. ???

Yes, it's about as good as you can get. But fyi, this isn't the investment baking forum.
Reply 99
I want to apply for the JPM Schools programme but have no where to live in London?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending