The Student Room Group

The IB&C Pre-University Thread for School and A Level Pupils

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
It's only 2 days, it's nothing great.
loggins
Yeh, Printernships are all the rage!

Seriously though, look at Rothschild, Deloitte, KPMG for year long programs pre uni.

hello! Just a very quick question about a gap year between A levels and university, I was thinking of also applying to Deloitte which offer 1 year work experience before Uni. Will this look favourable on: My CV after uni; On my application form to uni. I would have though it does but I know some employers/ admissions tutors do not see deffered entries favourably! thank you very much.
Guys can I just tell you right now, at least with respect to notts econ school, work experience will make no difference to your ps.
Amit92
I want to apply for the JPM Schools programme but have no where to live in London?

manchester with those a levels? you should be at least aiming at notts durham or bath
Reply 104
accountingmaniac2010
manchester with those a levels? you should be at least aiming at notts durham or bath

My subjects are Mathematics, Government and Politics, Economics. I don't do F.Maths and my GCSEs were mainly Bs with like 2As..
Amit92
My subjects are Mathematics, Government and Politics, Economics. I don't do F.Maths and my GCSEs were mainly Bs with like 2As..

How come you are doing so well at A-level if you didn't do well at GCSE - looking at your sig!
Reply 106
cruciform
How come you are doing so well at A-level if you didn't do well at GCSE - looking at your sig!

I just find A-level more straight-forward for some reason :s-smilie:..

Like I got a 'B' in GCSE Maths while on target for A*/A at A-level Mathematics.

I think its because of the teaching quality tbh..I went to a crappy state school where only 29% of the year passed with 5A*-C at GCSE incl Maths and English. Then when we left the school shut-down.

The 6th Form College I go to now is ran by the state but it has an excellent Maths department with teachers that went to Russell Group/1994 Group Universities. With the likes Durham. One Math teacher that taught me last year even did a PHD in Maths.

The History & Politics department is excellent aswell..but not much to say about the economics department thought :frown:
Reply 107
Ask around family freinds youd be suprised. Through my mums freinds daughter i managed to get 4 weeks at henderson and through my mums freinds freind im pretty hopefull to get a bit of work experience at rbs capital. I go to a comprehensive and my parents dont work in banking at all so its not like there particularly involved in finance.
Reply 108
How much do the levels of pay differ between FO, MO, and BO, and between 1st tier and 2nd tier banks by the age of 30?

For example, how much more would a FO worker earn at GS than a FO worker at ABN Amro?

Also if you start your career at a 2nd tier bank, if you are successful what are the chances of you being able to move to a 1st tier bank at some point in the future?
Reply 109
Hey was just wondering if anyone could tell me how useful would the following work experiences be when applying for spring week internships (1st year) and summer internships (2nd year):

1/2 months work at BrewinDolphin
Shadowing a middle office employee at the Lloyds Banking Group for a week?

Kind Regards
Reply 110
vads92
Hey was just wondering if anyone could tell me how useful would the following work experiences be when applying for spring week internships (1st year) and summer internships (2nd year):

1/2 months work at BrewinDolphin
Shadowing a middle office employee at the Lloyds Banking Group for a week?

Kind Regards

Presuming you'd be shadowing in CorpFin/Research/Investment Management at BD? I'd take that over middle office for a week, hands down.
Has anyone heard back from JPM regarding schools programme yet?
Reply 112
Not yet!
loggins

As informal as this is I sincerely do apologise. I have a friend (really, it is a friend and not I in disguise) who is interested in investment banking.

She has 18GCSE/Equivalents A*-C (9A*/6B/3C's). She got a C in her maths and 2 C's in her sciences. However, she will be retaking her maths GCSE this summer to enhance the grade.

Her Current A-Levels are Government and Politics,English,Sociology and Business Studies. (Her interest of banking/investment started from secondary school, she was great at maths -- **** teacher -- lost of confidence etc)

Do you think she has a chance or has she on the wrong path? P.S.: She will be applying for Politics and International Relations.

I would advice her myself, just that I know little about the field.
Noticed the recent inactivity on this thread, so I thought I'd give it a bump and ask everyone if they'd heard back from JP for their A-level programme, and whether anyone had come across any more rare schemes available to pre-university students.
Tenacious.Barlow
Noticed the recent inactivity on this thread, so I thought I'd give it a bump and ask everyone if they'd heard back from JP for their A-level programme, and whether anyone had come across any more rare schemes available to pre-university students.

Most of the people for JP Morgan heard back from them about week ago. :p:
Reply 116
mcp2
It's only 2 days, it's nothing great.

Its 4 days
Reply 117
iheartmondays
As informal as this is I sincerely do apologise. I have a friend (really, it is a friend and not I in disguise) who is interested in investment banking.

She has 18GCSE/Equivalents A*-C (9A*/6B/3C's). She got a C in her maths and 2 C's in her sciences. However, she will be retaking her maths GCSE this summer to enhance the grade.

Her Current A-Levels are Government and Politics,English,Sociology and Business Studies. (Her interest of banking/investment started from secondary school, she was great at maths -- **** teacher -- lost of confidence etc)

Do you think she has a chance or has she on the wrong path? P.S.: She will be applying for Politics and International Relations.

I would advice her myself, just that I know little about the field.

Shed be better off heading off to law. finance is a maths demanding enviroment.
wat are the best subjects to take at A levels for IB
Sweet_poison
wat are the best subjects to take at A levels for IB

A language and maybe mathematics A level are the only subjects which are desirable. The rest is up to you. If you don't have any interest and literally don't want to do anything apart from go into investment banking study:

A language.
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Economics
Critical thinking (they will be as useful when doing competency questions as Mathematics A level is when starting the job).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending