The Student Room Group

Can you apply to both Cambridge and Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Rationalist
There have been replies that students that apply to one will apply to both. However, in the U.S. why is it that students can apply to all the universities they want to. I mean people apply at Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and Stanford at one time. All 4 are prestigious and thus many people would apply to them. Why not Cambridge or Oxford?

I don't think the top US universities have the intensive interview process that Oxbridge has and that would be unworkable with twice as many applicants per place.

Also the US does have a system where you can apply early to one such university and are given priority in admissions or something similar, so that probably helps keep numbers down.
Reply 21
Okay I get it a little. Thanks for the quick replies guys.
Reply 22
Original post by iamru
or if it is your second undergraduate degree you can i believe

I will be applying for engineering in 2013/14 and was wondering how true this was.... can you give further details
Original post by Le Franc
I will be applying for engineering in 2013/14 and was wondering how true this was.... can you give further details

It looks like this is no longer true:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/choices

It only works for grad medicine now.
You can only apply to Oxford and Cambridge at the same time if you're either applying as an Organ Scholar or if you're applying for Graduate Entry Medicine at both. You can't apply to both for a second undergraduate degree but can if you're applying for postgraduate courses.
Taken from UCAS site:

Can I apply to both the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge?

2013 entry: you can only apply to one course at either the University of Oxford or the University of Cambridge. The exception to this has changed: if you will be a graduate at the start of the course and you're applying for graduate medicine (course code A101) at the University of Cambridge, you can also apply to medicine (course code A100) at Cambridge, in addition to being able to apply to graduate medicine (course code A101) at the University of Oxford. No other combinations are permitted.

I want to apply to both for a second undergraduate degree but UCAS told me that I couldn't :frown:

Does this mean organ scholars can no longer apply to both?
Reply 26
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Taken from UCAS site:

Can I apply to both the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge?

2013 entry: you can only apply to one course at either the University of Oxford or the University of Cambridge. The exception to this has changed: if you will be a graduate at the start of the course and you're applying for graduate medicine (course code A101) at the University of Cambridge, you can also apply to medicine (course code A100) at Cambridge, in addition to being able to apply to graduate medicine (course code A101) at the University of Oxford. No other combinations are permitted.

I want to apply to both for a second undergraduate degree but UCAS told me that I couldn't :frown:

Does this mean organ scholars can no longer apply to both?

Organ scholars apply and have their organ trials and academic interviews in September. They have to express a preference for Oxford or Cambridge although they can go for trials at both but they will only get one offer. They don't put their UCAS application in until after they get an offer from a specific college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rationalist
There have been replies that students that apply to one will apply to both. However, in the U.S. why is it that students can apply to all the universities they want to. I mean people apply at Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and Stanford at one time. All 4 are prestigious and thus many people would apply to them. Why not Cambridge or Oxford?

US universities tend to have centralised admissions with dedicated admissions officers (not academic teaching staff) sorting through the applications. Most of it is done by looking at a paper application, with the occasional alumni interview.

In contrast, Oxford and Cambridge admissions take up a lot more of the actual professors' time. It is the professor who (should you be successful) will be tutoring you for the next three or so years who reads your UCAS form and interviews you and the interview is a much bigger deal with Oxford and Cambridge than it is for US universities. This sort of personal attention from academic staff is just not possible at the scale at which US universities process applications.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending