The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MDEH8176
The high number of international students at LSE and it's reputation for having a bad social side really doesn't warrant turning down an offer to study economics there! I've looked around LSE as it's right next door to King's and it's not the most exciting campus. As another poster above said it's literally just a couple of streets. However, you'll be getting a top class education at LSE (although I've heard it's not as great at undergraduate level) and it will no doubt open a huge amount of career opportunities for you. Also, going to LSE does not necessarily mean you will have a terrible university experience. It's based in the centre of London so you'll have plenty of things to do and places to go outside of the university bubble. I would recommend applying to the intercollegiate halls of residence once you've firmed LSE. You'll be able to mix with other UoL students who are going to UCL, King's etc so we'll show you a good time if your LSE buddies aren't up for hanging out after a lecture. Exeter is lovely, but for economics I think you'd be very foolish to pick it over LSE. If you have a huge dislike for London then maybe opt for Exeter or Warwick, but I really think you'd be passing off an amazing opportunity.

Visit all three, but pick LSE. :wink:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no!

Teaching quality is **** at the LSE. One thing you are virtually guaranteed not to get there is at undergraduate level top class education, at least in terms of teaching (although econometrics is taught well :P). It has its reputation because of its research, as do most 'top' undergraduate universities - and yes I am at one for economics...

I would choose between LSE and Warwick: LSE is slightly better for reputation but the difference is marginal in the world of employment, both courses are very similar.
seadub8
I think the undergraduate 'LSE' experience is probably synonymous with that of New York University (NYU) here in the states. NYU consists of a couple building scattered around lower Manhattan and doesn't really offer the traditional four-year college experience that most American college students enjoy. The fact that NYU does not have a real campus means that it lacks the "college feel" of going to a big central campus in a college town. Thus, the social scene is basically New York City, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are independent-minded and would prefer living in a big city as opposed to a college town.

I personally prefer going to a school with a big campus. It makes the school feel "whole" and is a wholly unique experience that is unlike anything else. I wouldn't mind going to a school like NYU or LSE for postgrad, but I think you miss out on something in life if you don't get to experience going to a big university with a central campus.

except LSE > NYU... for economics it's on par with Harvard/ Chicago/ Stanford/ MIT/ Yale and Cambridge.
Reply 22
yoyo462001
Why? because of LSE's name? Personally for me university isn't just about the grad prospects and i personally would never go to a London based university (i live in London) let alone a non campus uni, i can easily tell that id hate it straight away. I would certainly not have 3 bad years of my life just to go to LSE.

I agree with you.
I can totally understand your situation.... whilst LSE has an incredible reputation, it's not somewhere that I personally would want to go due to the lack of typical 'student experience' however you shouldnt autiomatically rule it out. bare in mind that uni is what you make of it and if you make the effort, you will have a great social life etc... as someone suggested above, go to intercollegiate halls and then you have a choice of who you can spend time with! that would be my recommendation. also LSE has a HUGE advantage in terms of employment (the person above who said its not much of a difference is lying) I am currently working in the financial sector for my gap year and have been quizing quite a few people in various companies about what universities they think are teh best to go to and they did say that they have a list of places that they are 'allowed' to hire people from (its not set in stone but these are the places that will get you interviews etc) and exeter is not on that list whereas warwick and LSE are and places like LSE, UCL, oxford and cambridge are right at the top and will help you massivly in terms of graduate prospects. sorry to upset people with this but it's true and that is coming from some fairly high up people in various banks and fund management companies.

Exeter is a lovely place, really beautiful and quaint but that was exactly why i turned it down last year as it was far too small for me with not enough going on. that is a personal preference and obviously different people etc etc... but it really depends what you want out of uni, i would prefere somewhere with a bit more going on.

similarly warwick is not the livliest of places in terms of a social life (i come from that area, went to school in warwick and lived not far off) obviously there is coventry to go out in but most people do tend to go to Smack in Leamington spa which isnt too bad but also isnt great.... it can be really good fun but personnally i wouldnt want that ot be the main going out place while i was at uni. again its all about personal preference, i think you have a little bit more choice than exeter because of cov but still no where near the amount of choice you get in london.

LSE being in london obviously has much more choice in what to do whether it be for a night out (countless clubs, bars and pubs) or going to museums, art galleries etc during the day. basically you have a huge amount of choice, so you should never be bored.

really you have to decide what is most important to you, maybe put them in a order of importance out of things like: reputation, nightlife, culture, 'studenty' feel, course, type of people you might meet etc...

thats what i did with my choices and that's how i landed on UCL :smile:

good luck!
Reply 24
chat on the carpoet
paddy__power
I would go Warwick. Good academically, although not as good as LSE but from what I have heard a far better experience.

This completely.

LSE strikes me as a place where either international students go who love to work, or for postgrad students who want better job prospects (by postgrad time, you're in your mid twenties and are probably relatively "settled" in life).

It doesn't strike me as a place to have a good undergraduate experience for a typical white British student aged 18/19.

Knowing stupid old TSR though, you'll pick reputation of institution over any life experience :rolleyes: :facepalm2:
Reply 26
henrykravis
I did that actually and met many people on my course who did the same.

No way mate. Not for undergrad Econ at LSE. My mind would explode.:eek: Your profile says you're at Cambridge so you must be talking postgrad which is a different ball game. And what course are you talking about...not undergrad Econ regardless :yes:

Na, I know Warwick is an awesome uni especially for Economics. It depends what you want to go into probably.
:s-smilie: maybe the LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS is the best place to go
TerryTerry
No way mate. Not for undergrad Econ at LSE. My mind would explode.:eek: Your profile says you're at Cambridge so you must be talking postgrad which is a different ball game. And what course are you talking about...not undergrad Econ regardless :yes:

Na, I know Warwick is an awesome uni especially for Economics. It depends what you want to go into probably.

Currently at Cambridge, but trust me,it was for 'undergrad Economics' and as I said earlier I was not the only one at Warwick who did this! Moreover, there are people on this forum who have done this or will be doing it. Warwick Economics is very strong, not only in terms of career prospects but research rankings as well. Have a look at REPEC researh scores (More than half of Warwick academics are top 5% worldwide!) On top of these credentials, an excellent campus ! I do not want to advocate Warwick or start a Warwick vs LSE discussion, but just giving some points that I considered back then.
Reply 29
invictus_veritas
No no no no no no no no no no no no no!

Teaching quality is **** at the LSE. One thing you are virtually guaranteed not to get there is at undergraduate level top class education, at least in terms of teaching (although econometrics is taught well :P). It has its reputation because of its research, as do most 'top' undergraduate universities - and yes I am at one for economics...

I would choose between LSE and Warwick: LSE is slightly better for reputation but the difference is marginal in the world of employment, both courses are very similar.

This demonstrates your misunderstanding of the point. The teaching for all subjects at lse is of the same quality (given normally sized courses) but has a very high variance, basically its very hit and miss.

Given its clearly sub par to both oxford and cambridge it is exactly the same as all other unis out there. The only reason it has such reputation is that lse students bitch the most about it since they feel they should be special since they got in, when in fact they dont realize how the teaching is the same across the board and is only different at a select few decentralized institutions.
astudent
This demonstrates your misunderstanding of the point. The teaching for all subjects at lse is of the same quality (given normally sized courses) but has a very high variance, basically its very hit and miss.

Given its clearly sub par to both oxford and cambridge it is exactly the same as all other unis out there. The only reason it has such reputation is that lse students bitch the most about it since they feel they should be special since they got in, when in fact they dont realize how the teaching is the same across the board and is only different at a select few decentralized institutions.

I would say econometrics is the exception because the lecturer who teaches it is so exceptional, but the seminar tutoring is awful. The reason the LSE is different in this respect is that there are so many foreign students whose grasp of English is quite frankly limited.

It is therefore not the same as other universities out there: I have asked friends at Warwick/ Bristol and Durham how often they get a seminar tutor who can't speak English and none of them ever have done, so the LSE is an exception BECAUSE the seminar tutors barely speak English quite often and this is not copied across UK universities.
invictus_veritas
I would say econometrics is the exception because the lecturer who teaches it is so exceptional, but the seminar tutoring is awful. The reason the LSE is different in this respect is that there are so many foreign students whose grasp of English is quite frankly limited.

It is therefore not the same as other universities out there: I have asked friends at Warwick/ Bristol and Durham how often they get a seminar tutor who can't speak English and none of them ever have done, so the LSE is an exception BECAUSE the seminar tutors barely speak English quite often and this is not copied across UK universities.

Well actually my econometrics lecturers and seminar tutors don't speak fluent English with the formers English being very hard to grasp most of the time. I think we'd need further evidence than a few friends from different unis that LSE was in fact an exception.

astudent

I think your last point would be very hard to prove, its more reasonable to conclude that the teaching of LSE (and other institutions) varies rather than the expectations of students across Universities. i.e a statement of 'Uni X lecturers are bad due to Uni X lecturers generally being bad' is more sensible than that of 'Uni X lecturers are more or less equal to those of other universities due to Uni X students having different expectations of lecturers compared to the rest of the UK'

Im basically saying that the expectations of Students across universities are similar.
Reply 32
invictus_veritas
Speak for yourself, my econometrics teacher is quality.
Reply 33
invictus_veritas

May I ask which econometrics course in particular you are referring to? Im assuming its ec309 (econometric theory with Seo), but in fact I like all of my lecturers this year, and all my class teachers are at least on a good level. However I dont agree with your point about foreign students. Most quantitative subjects attract foreign phd students to british unis in general. As an example a friend of mine being a second year at bath uni has had a total of 3 class teachers with "excellent" english (out of a total of 16 classes).
Reply 34
yoyo462001
Well actually my econometrics lecturers and seminar tutors don't speak fluent English with the formers English being very hard to grasp most of the time. I think we'd need further evidence than a few friends from different unis that LSE was in fact an exception.

I think your last point would be very hard to prove, its more reasonable to conclude that the teaching of LSE (and other institutions) varies rather than the expectations of students across Universities. i.e a statement of 'Uni X lecturers are bad due to Uni X lecturers generally being bad' is more sensible than that of 'Uni X lecturers are more or less equal to those of other universities due to Uni X students having different expectations of lecturers compared to the rest of the UK'

Im basically saying that the expectations of Students across universities are similar.

Thats a crazy assumption to make.
astudent
Thats a crazy assumption to make.

I should have said 'the expectations of teaching quality' is similar, just because you go to a lower ranked uni you dont automatically feel you don't deserve to be taught well.

Latest

Trending

Trending