The Student Room Group

Will resits affect my medicine application?

I have just sat a chemistry exam in January for AS Level, I know for a fact that i did not do well in the paper. Lets say, if i resit the paper in June, will this affect my admission in Medicial School.
I am concerned because it doesnt say 'RESIT' when you get your certificate so how will they find out that i have had a resit when it dont appear on the certificate. Also, i am doing it same year this june so the year will be the same, Will this affect my admission in Medical School?

Thank You
Reply 1
It would affect an application to Cambridge, as they immediately see your resits. Every medical-school has the capability of finding out if you've resat exams by contacting the exam-boards, who will tell them every exam you've sat.
vizzlad
I have just sat a chemistry exam in January for AS Level, I know for a fact that i did not do well in the paper. Lets say, if i resit the paper in June, will this affect my admission in Medicial School.
I am concerned because it doesnt say 'RESIT' when you get your certificate so how will they find out that i have had a resit when it dont appear on the certificate. Also, i am doing it same year this june so the year will be the same, Will this affect my admission in Medical School?

Thank You

I resat two AS chemistry units in order to go from C to A in both. Nobody seems to care. With the possible exception of Cambridge, they are highly unlikely to even look. Bear in mind that the average med school receives 2000+ applications, and it takes them months to go through everything on all those application forms. Imagine how long it would take if they had to check with the exam boards whether each applicant had resat any modules. You'd be in your twenties by the time they managed to make a decision.

IMHO, you really shouldn't worry about it. If in doubt, though, it wouldn't hurt to check up with the individual unis that you're interested in applying to.
Reply 3
It doesn't matter. Only cambridge know if you've resat, and even then it may not affect you that much; I know quite a few people who have got in to cambridge and resat modules! there are other factprs for them to look at in your application. :smile:
Reply 4
Some Unis really don't mind resists. I know St Georges is quite lenient with them
Reply 5
vizzlad

Thank You

I'm in exactly the same boat! :s-smilie: It was a horrific paper and asked loads of silly questions on things that were barely on the syllabus, plus I made loads of stupid mistakes so I think I got a C at most (that's being optimistic :/)
What board are you on? I did OCR spec A (boooo :p: )
Good luck! x
For most unis that won't be a problemm at all... At all the open days I went to I was told that the unis wouldn't know so long as it was within the standard 2 years and nor would they mind...
Reply 7
annarbee
I'm in exactly the same boat! :s-smilie: It was a horrific paper and asked loads of silly questions on things that were barely on the syllabus, plus I made loads of stupid mistakes so I think I got a C at most (that's being optimistic :/)
What board are you on? I did OCR spec A (boooo :p: )
Good luck! x

I've seen the OCR Chemistry A's F321 paper from January 2010, it was a ridiculously easy paper that couldn't have been more straightforward and to the point. It was a lot easier than the previous two F321 papers.
Reply 8
Noble.
I've seen the OCR Chemistry A's F321 paper from January 2010, it was a ridiculously easy paper that couldn't have been more straightforward and to the point. It was a lot easier than the previous two F321 papers.

Ouch.
To be honest it can't be the same paper. Everyone, including the teachers, thought it was very hard.
Reply 9
annarbee
Ouch.
To be honest it can't be the same paper. Everyone, including the teachers, thought it was very hard.

I'm talking about this paper. http://www.mediafire.com/?vzz15emlnmm

Compared to the last two F321 papers, and the specimen paper, that paper was pretty easy. The only question that extended the syllabus was the second part of question 4) d) ii). Even still, that's on the syllabus, so I'm not sure where you're coming from when you say the paper asked questions that were "barely on the syllabus".
Reply 10
Thanks guys, for sharing your comments,
i guess it leaves some hope for me,

i was talking about the Edexcel chemistry paper, it was a disaster.
Looking to forward resit it in june! and i would suggest you do the same if you think
you havent done very well.

Latest

Trending

Trending