The Student Room Group

Selection Help - Exeter, Nottingham, Lancaster

Hey experts...i am in a slight dilemma..I have been offered places at : Exeter - 36 IB Points, Nottingham - 36 IB points and Lancaser - 31 IB Points..I also have an offer from manchester but i do not want to go there..

Firstly, my course is Economics and I am an international student with a predicted score of 38 IB points..

I need help in deciding which uni to choose...my parents are asking me to choose Exeter and Nottingham and then decide which one to go to since at this time we do not know which is better for economics and from an international aspect..However, if i choose exeter and notts, I would not get into any uni if i get less than 36 points..Please tell me if i should go ahead with what my parents say or should i make one of exeter and nott firm and choose Lancaster as my backup

Also, will lancaster be there in clearing?? because if it will be there, I can apply to it if i miss the other two..Please help me asap!! I need to decide my choices

Thanks!!
Reply 1
Don't make your decision based on what your parents want, or what you think might happen. Choose your favbourite university as your firm, and your second favourite as your insurance. Yeah, they might have [dare I say slightly] varying reputations for your subject, but you're the one who's going to be studying there for the next few years at least, and you'd much rather have a few years of a more enjoyable experience really :smile:
Reply 2
I can't see much point in putting both Exeter and Notts in. Both universities are very well established and should probably fill their places with those obtaining the 36 points/A Level grades that they're asking for. So, as you say, if you got below 36, you'd miss both and, if you got the grades, you'd only be able to go to the one you put as your 'firm' choice so your insurance becomes redundant.
No one can say if Lancaster will be in clearing. Clearing places are becoming more and more limited and more and more competitive. It would be a gamble to anticipate any particular course at a particular university being available on clearing.
If you ask me, take Exeter or Nottingham as a firm (whichever you prefer) and Lancaster as an insurance.
Well the smart thing would be to Firm Exeter/Notts and insurance Lancaster, however if if you can try and visit them all. In terms of reputation Nottingham has the best for economics followed by Exeter and then by Lancaster. To be honest id be surprised if Lancaster was in clearing this year due to their being less places generally and Lancaster being a uni 'on the up'.
Reply 4
notts has the best reputation of the unis you have offers from so firm them, and take lancaster as your insurance because if you fail to get 36 IB points you dont want to end up in clearing. But i do recommend you visit the unis before making your choice as what i have stated is my opinion, you may get a different opinion after you visit them
Nottingham has the best reputation and from a lot of personal experience (I don't go to Nottingham uni though), I can tell you that it's a very nice city, with a superb bus service, a tram that was finished in 04/05, and lots to do (ice rink, decent cinemas, theatres, lots of shops, "Rock City" etc). Go out into the suburbs of the city and there are some lovely parks. Even near the centre of the city, there's Wollaton Hall, which is a really nice place to go and relax. Pretty much centre of England so you can get to most places with relative ease. Added to that, it's the uni with the Economics department that has the highest reputation out of the 3 you've mentioned. The city has a stigma of being pretty crime-ridden, but avoid the bad areas (St Ann's, Aspley etc.) and you're fine.

Lancaster is in the middle of nowhere and has the lowest rep, and I have no clue about Exeter. You should visit all of them though.

Latest