The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
josh1988uk
Geography is a very desireable subject as it involves both science and social skills as well as mathematics and literacy skills. It also teaches analysis and evaluation of sources. There is not a great deal of work at AS but revision is essential. As people have said there are no essay questions maximum 6 to 8 marks for questions.

Chemistry, Biology and Physics will all be pretty hardwork. Many people at my school are dropping one of them at AS because they find the workload exsessive. Further maths would not be too much work as an extra module but with four A2's and geography AS I think that you may be pushing yourself too far. To some universities it would appear as though you do nothing but work!

Which is why there's the interview to say I don't just do work!
Elspungo
Well if he is good at geog than there is no real reason to worry, as you are basically saying that he shouldnt take it if he wont get a good grade. And personally I do not think variety is 'overatted'. The majority of his subjects are science based, therefore it is not like he has got half humaties and half science. Thus if he was to take geography, and get a good grade it will look good on uni applications or job applications as he will not be a 'one trick pony'. Plus its not as if he is taking History, Geography is closer realted to science subjects such as biology, and mathematics is needed in the equations in Human Geography. Moreover, you are right blah, geography AS is just an extension of of GCSE, i actually found it a little easier and far more interesting as you go into sligtly more depth. I even done better in my exams..i got a B in GCSE and got an A in AS. So thats basically my case for geography, I took the subject so I may be biased, but I also know wht I'm talking about

And you did 6 AS?
josh1988uk
To some universities it would appear as though you do nothing but work!

Good point - and besides if you can get in quite easily on 4 AS and 3 A2 to even the best universities (let's say Oxbridge for example) so long as you have good personal statement, interview etc - it's really not worth taking that much on when you don't have all that much to gain but hard work and a greater chance at worse grades. Also how are you supposed to read around your subjects/enjoy them if you're doing so goddamn many?!? Blah seriously I know you feel you might regret it if you drop a subject but personally I'd have no second thoughts about giving one up - besides this leaves you more time to concentrate on and enjoy the others right? Well, your choice..
Reply 23
The Ace is Back
Good point - and besides if you can get in quite easily on 4 AS and 3 A2 to even the best universities (let's say Oxbridge for example) so long as you have good personal statement, interview etc - it's really not worth taking that much on when you don't have all that much to gain but hard work and a greater chance at worse grades. Also how are you supposed to read around your subjects/enjoy them if you're doing so goddamn many?!? Blah seriously I know you feel you might regret it if you drop a subject but personally I'd have no second thoughts about giving one up - besides this leaves you more time to concentrate on and enjoy the others right? Well, your choice..

Seriously, you make me think!
Reply 24
But do you think it's a disadvantage to do pure sciences if say I want to do nat sci or medi at Oxbridge?

There are very few doing purely sciences at my school.

One of my classmates are doing 3 sciences and maths + Geo AS.

I want to do that combi as well + Further Maths AS... cause I REALLY want to do Further Maths.

I seriously don't want to work my ass off, and want to enjoy fully the subjects I'm gonna do. If I HAD to choose to drop either Geo AS or Further Maths AS, I'd drop Geo AS.

But then again, would unis look down on those who only do sciences? Depends on which course you want to take, one might say. But Geo is a subject that can open up many choices, so I'm told.

AH!!!
Reply 25
I would continue 3 A2's and carry the AS levels forward. Some universities might consider the AS-levels into one A-level.
blah888
But do you think it's a disadvantage to do pure sciences if say I want to do nat sci or medi at Oxbridge?

There are very few doing purely sciences at my school.

One of my classmates are doing 3 sciences and maths + Geo AS.

I want to do that combi as well + Further Maths AS... cause I REALLY want to do Further Maths.

I seriously don't want to work my ass off, and want to enjoy fully the subjects I'm gonna do. If I HAD to choose to drop either Geo AS or Further Maths AS, I'd drop Geo AS.

But then again, would unis look down on those who only do sciences? Depends on which course you want to take, one might say. But Geo is a subject that can open up many choices, so I'm told.

AH!!!

Ok sure there is always an advantage to having variety, but to be honest does geography really give that much variety (as someone said it's not exactly the opposite end of the spectrum like history for example - it's one of those bridging subjects between the arts and the sciences right), and secondly in my opinion there is no harm in having a wholly sciency combination - shows dedication to your subject and that field.

You're right that geo would open up a lot more options, but for nat sci / medi i'm sure you won't need geography - on the other hand if you ended up wanting to do something like... maybe international relations (for want of a better example)... at university then yeah geography would probably be helpful. But having said that, you can't cover every single uni course available - I mean maybe you might want to do a language at uni or something.. does that mean you should do a language AS as well? No obviously not that would just be too much - you gotta choose now what your limitations will be when going for a course at uni and 3 sciences and maths still leaves you with plenty of options - for example you could go off and do economics right? Further maths would be perfect for that
blah888
Which is why there's the interview to say I don't just do work!

Dont forget not all universities do interviews
josh1988uk
To some universities it would appear as though you do nothing but work!

I agree with this - universities look for people who have extra curriculars as well from what I've heard. At my school we're supposed to get 4 hours of self-study per week..that would be ok with the normal 4 subjects..but with your 6 subjects..thats 24 hours, or 1 whole day, of self-study. (Obviously it varies from school to school, but I'm just using my school as an example). You'll hardly have time for anything/anyone but school work.
Reply 29
Why dont you do 5 ASs, and if the workload does get too much than you can always drop one. And with geog, i find unless you really wanna do it...you wont put the work in needed, so if its not your top priority subject dont take it, and dont do it for the wrong reasons. Unis do like variety, and it maybe good to do it incase you change your mind of what you wanna do. But you can always take it later down the line, say if you decide you dont like one of you AS choices, you can drop that and perhaps take up geog. Ive also known people who have done and extra AS whilst doing their A2s, though this would probably be a strenuous work load. But where unis like variety - they also like good grades and evidence of extra-curricla activities .

And even if you dont get an interview - thats what your personal statement is for, so you can comment on how you dont do just work - however if you do take 6 AS you probably wont have time for anything else.
They are very good subjects, and if you get good grades in them, you can pretty much go anywhere :biggrin:
Oh.. the workload. It is not too much, you would still have spare time.

Free periods are useless, you end up dossing around, doing no work. You might as well do something useful.
Reply 32
yeah, free periods, at first they are such a novelty and you just use them as extensions on breaks and then your teachers tell them you are suppose to use them for work...so you do for a couple of months, but then you end up just dossing around again. Maybe now and again using them for work when the workload is alot. But the common room was far more appealing than the libary where we got hushed constantly...dam the constant politics of the school library
when I had a few in the lower sixth we were playing naughts and crosses... and I was reading magazines..... (studying for general studies of course)
Reply 34
oh god dont even get me started on general studies...i didnt go to one class. Biggest waste of time...just an extra free. In upper 6th i only have 3 lessons a day. Then when i took my jan exams i got an A in one of my history module so i didnt need to go to that class nemore..so i would go home at 11. I loved the common room, we would just sit around having a laugh. and when everyone started driving...roadtrip!!!

Latest