The Student Room Group
How do you know you want to do it at university if you've never studied it? I hope you've done plenty of reading.

You'll also have a lot of catching up to do when you actually start.
GodspeedGehenna
How do you know you want to do it at university if you've never studied it? I hope you've done plenty of reading.

I've done lots of reading, my mums a psychiatric nurse and I've done some work experience with her and the doctors that work with her.
bigfatflanker
I've done lots of reading, my mums a psychiatric nurse and I've done some work experience with her and the doctors that work with her.

Reading is good. Keep doing that.

Psych nurse shadowing wont be much help, however.
Reply 4
GodspeedGehenna

That's a bit unfair. They say at most unis that studying psychology before isn't neccessary, and the first year brings everyone up to the same level. Even at top 20 unis I've been to like Sheffield, they've said that. Seems like you're trying to scare the poster when it's actually not that big a deal.

OT, most unis will ask for one science, but they often include maths in that, so you should be ok. However, if you can, I'd say having a science at AS level would be beneficial, and psychology would be the best one if you're going to do it as you'll have more knowledge before starting the degree.
Reply 5
first year of uni for me was just like Alevel psychology all over again. if psychology isn't compulsory for the course then i wouldn't worry about the ASlevel in psychology. Biology overall is helpful but i'm not sure how much influence an ASlevel in biology would be.
Just show you have a further interest in the topic through extra curricular activities such as volunteering etc.
haithere
That's a bit unfair. They say at most unis that studying psychology before isn't neccessary, and the first year brings everyone up to the same level. Even at top 20 unis I've been to like Sheffield, they've said that. Seems like you're trying to scare the poster when it's actually not that big a deal.

I remember when I first started my undergrad, they asked how many had done it at a-level. About 99% of the class of ~170 students put their hands up.

Not studying it at A-level will be a disadvantage.
Reply 7
GodspeedGehenna
I remember when I first started my undergrad, they asked how many had done it at a-level. About 99% of the class of ~170 students put their hands up.

This, my friend's having real trouble keeping up with things and shes got it to AS.
Reply 8
DMV
This, my friend's having real trouble keeping up with things and shes got it to AS.

disagree, one of my best friends on the course didn't do it for alevel and doesn't struggle whatsoever. Yes you don't have the general knowledge of theories but they teach you that anyway, and all the skills you learn at Alevel such as essay writing are a load of rubbish when you get to uni and they tell you to forget them and burn your Alevel notes.
Reply 9
GodspeedGehenna

Really? I wouldn't have thought it'd be so high. They've always said at open days etc it won't be an issue.

I think doing reading on psychology will be a good idea but you can never be sure you're reading the right thing. Freud, for example, probably has the biggest selection of material available on him yet a lot of unis don't study him.
haithere
Really? I wouldn't have thought it'd be so high. They've always said at open days etc it won't be an issue.

I think doing reading on psychology will be a good idea but you can never be sure you're reading the right thing. Freud, for example, probably has the biggest selection of material available on him yet a lot of unis don't study him.

the reason its not an issue, even though lots of people do it, is because you cover all the same stuff in year one. Obviously you are at a slight advantage if it is familiar to you but everything is in more depth at uni

Latest