The Student Room Group
Reply 1
balin2k
Hey. Im new to this site so I don’t know if this is the place to ask this stuff so sorry if it’s wrong. Im a 21 year old male studying BETEC national diploma. Im in my first year and have recently been looking at uni course’s just to get an idea where I may head. Looking at the requirements of the corse's I have started to worry (I do that a fair amount) you see I did my GCSE's 5 years ago and they were very bad indeed. The highest grade I got was a C in drama and a D in food tech (bad I know) I went on a got a NVQ lv 2 in catering and hospitality and another NVQ in bakery.

A year later I realised it wasn’t for me and decided to try and take on media studies. I didn’t have the GCSE's for the course I wanted but because of my age and enthusiasm I showed (also I had done a lot of growing up) they let me in. now I look at uni course’s and get worried. all of the ones I am interested in say im recommended to have 4 GCSE's C or above ( I only have one C ) im going to retake English but that still will only put me up to two! So my question is. How important are GCSE's in getting onto a unit course? Will I instantly be turned down with just two C's? Was it a waste of time money and effort to start this course? Was I doomed from the beginning? If you could help it would really out my mind at ease:woo:

No offense, but if you couldn't even get 4 GCSE's, I don't think University is a good choice for you. Some sixth forms nowadays even put at least 5 GCSE's at their entry requirements (the pre-cursor for getting into Uni!).

Although you are older, why do you particularly want a degree? Going from bakery to media is very random in my opinion, and although people may criticise it as being a "soft" degree, you still need a good level of knowledge. Indeed, nearly all degrees require a basic C grade in GCSE Maths and English (sometimes Science as well!)

Are you looking at any Uni's in particular?..
I'm afraid I can only agree with FT. Uni will be tough going as it is and it only makes it worse if you aren't able to grasp most/all of the concepts of the course.
Good luck anyway. . .
Reply 3

Latest

Trending

Trending