The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2720
Looking to apply to Warwick for Maths / MMaths next year.

I went to the open day on Saturday and I was told ~1400 of the ~1500 applications get given a conditional offer and of that ~1400, ~300 get in after getting the grades. I was also told that as long as you get the required grade you're in.

Does this mean it doesn't matter what you got at your GCSEs? Also I'd like to know why those ~100 people don't get a conditional offer.

I'm anticipating 4 As and a B at AS and then 2 A*s (in Maths and Further Maths) and an A in Physics at A2. I also got 2 A*s, 5 As, a B and 2 Cs at GCSE if that's useful to anyone for the above.

Thanks in advance.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by JJMills

I went to the open day on Saturday and I was told ~1400 of the ~1500 applications get given a conditional offer and of that ~1400, ~300 get in after getting the grades. I was also told that as long as you get the required grade you're in.

Does this mean it doesn't matter what you got at your GCSEs? Also I'd like to know why those ~100 people don't get a conditional offer.

I'm anticipating 4 As and a B at AS and then 2 A*s (in Maths and Further Maths) and an A in Physics at A2. I also got 2 A*s, 5 As, a B and 2 Cs at GCSE if that's useful to anyone for the above.

Thanks in advance.

You should be alright, my GCSEs weren't great either, and from what I've heard they're not really bothered about them when applying for maths here. As long as your A-Level predictions aren't too low, you should be fine. :smile:
Original post by georgia
Oh god, that sounds horrific. I'm really not a fan of public speaking like that, but I'm fine in smaller groups/teams. Boooo. At least I can draw maps, though :wink:

Thanks for the tips! Do you remember how many get through?

Normally there are 80 helpers in total, split into ten teams of eight, of which one is a Team Leader.

TLs have already been allocated, so there are 70 places left (plus usually if you are invited to TL interview you also automatically get a helper place if you don't make TL) so perhaps 60-65.

The number of people who apply varies, but it was advertised on the SU website for a while. At a guess it's no worse than 2 people competing for a place.
Original post by jilebinator
What is the selection evening?

The university holds an Orientation week for International students in the last week of September and at the moment they are recruiting current students to help out with the various tasks such as getting the new students from Heathrow to uni, directing them on trips and generally being helpful.
Original post by JJMills

Thanks in advance.

The maths policy is that if you are predicted AAB you will receive an offer of A*A*A2/A*AA1. The 100 that don't get an offer are usually those who don't have high enough predicted grades. They don't look at GCSEs at all. The problem with getting in isn't the A*A* bit, it's the STEP bit.

Those grades should be fine at GCSE, my son got 2 A*s, 5 As, 5Bs and received 5/5 offers from Warwick, Lancaster, Exeter, Baths and Queens.
Reply 2725
Original post by jameswhughes
You should be alright, my GCSEs weren't great either, and from what I've heard they're not really bothered about them when applying for maths here. As long as your A-Level predictions aren't too low, you should be fine. :smile:

Original post by KittyKattyKaity
The maths policy is that if you are predicted AAB you will receive an offer of A*A*A2/A*AA1. The 100 that don't get an offer are usually those who don't have high enough predicted grades. They don't look at GCSEs at all. The problem with getting in isn't the A*A* bit, it's the STEP bit.

Those grades should be fine at GCSE, my son got 2 A*s, 5 As, 5Bs and received 5/5 offers from Warwick, Lancaster, Exeter, Baths and Queens.

Thanks to both of you.

I'm going to work on STEP papers as soon as my exams have finished to try get a feel for them (I understand that I won't be able to do them straight away due to some lack of knowledge).

A few final questions:

I can get a 2 on any of the three STEP papers, right? Which one would be better to do? Also, would AEA be worth doing over STEP or maybe doing both to try increase the possibility I'd get in (presuming I failed one but not the other)?

Will Warwick look at the AS grade for the subject I didn't continue to A2 at all?

Original post by JJMills
Thanks to both of you.

I'm going to work on STEP papers as soon as my exams have finished to try get a feel for them (I understand that I won't be able to do them straight away due to some lack of knowledge).

A few final questions:

I can get a 2 on any of the three STEP papers, right? Which one would be better to do? Also, would AEA be worth doing over STEP or maybe doing both to try increase the possibility I'd get in (presuming I failed one but not the other)?

Will Warwick look at the AS grade for the subject I didn't continue to A2 at all?

Doesn't matter which STEP paper you do, so long as you get the necessary grade. The subject you drop after AS won't be looked at at all (Son got A*abbc in Yr 12, although he resat two to get A*aaac obviously those results were after his UCAS application).

The difference between AEA and STEP really comes down to personal preference. A Distinction in AEA = STEP 2, so you'll still need an A* at Further. The structure of the two exams is quite different so it depends which suits you better. Best thing to do is try some past papers from both. For AEA you have to answer all the questions on the paper whereas for STEP you have a totally free choice. Usually 4 pretty much complete answers should get you a 1. You can answer up to 6 questions.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your application.
Reply 2727
Original post by JJMills

A few final questions:

I'd recommend that you DON'T choose to do AEA over STEP. If you don't do STEP, you'd have to get an A* in Further, which is not an easy task. By doing STEP, you're covered in case you don't get the A*. I personally am not doing AEA, but it's individual choice as to whether you do it or not.

As the person above said, have a look through past papers and see what takes your fancy, but I think it's always worth doing two different papers from the 4. That way, you improve with your Maths skills more, and have a greater chance at getting in. Don't do all of them though - it will be a killer during exam time, and may take away from your A Levels.

:smile:
Reply 2728
Hey everyone!
I have firmed Warwick for Law for the year 2012-2013. However, the website doesn't say anything about the structure of exams etc. I was wondering if any current law students can give me some information on this? Also, just the nature of studying law at Warwick! I am so incredibly excited! :biggrin:
Reply 2729
Original post by shaminn
A question directed at Law applicants:

Has anyone received an offer from Warwick the for LLB 3 Year Course with AABa as their AS grades?

Much appreciated for any help.

Wow! No, I don't but getting such a low offer is amazing! I got 4 A's at AS, so does that mean that you need 'early' A levels to get such a low offer? Probably... :/
Original post by missach
Wow! No, I don't but getting such a low offer is amazing! I got 4 A's at AS, so does that mean that you need 'early' A levels to get such a low offer? Probably... :/

I don't know, I don't think it will help to decrease the offer. I was just asking what AS grades people had when applying.

Seeing as you are a successful applicant do you think you can help me with a couple of question?

How subjects did you take? What other things did you have when applying to Warwick e.g. Work experience etc.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what is your conditional?

Thank you for your help
Reply 2731
No worries. At the moment, I am taking History, English Literature, Psychology (with an AS in Art). I had work experience from year 10 at a solicitors firm, along with tutorials and summer schools I took part in at Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol. Also, I took part in a Pathways to law Programme at LSE, and then went to Warwick for a 4 day visit on a law course, performing in front of the President of the Law society etc. But to be honest with you, I didn't put all of that on my personal statement- I wouldn't have been able to fit it in. I managed to fit a few more things in my SAQ for my Cambridge application, but even that could not be in too much depth.
My conditional/ firm is Warwick! :smile:
So what year are you in at the moment?

No worries for the help. Anytime :smile:
Original post by missach
No worries. At the moment, I am taking History, English Literature, Psychology (with an AS in Art). I had work experience from year 10 at a solicitors firm, along with tutorials and summer schools I took part in at Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol. Also, I took part in a Pathways to law Programme at LSE, and then went to Warwick for a 4 day visit on a law course, performing in front of the President of the Law society etc. But to be honest with you, I didn't put all of that on my personal statement- I wouldn't have been able to fit it in. I managed to fit a few more things in my SAQ for my Cambridge application, but even that could not be in too much depth.
My conditional/ firm is Warwick! :smile:
So what year are you in at the moment?

No worries for the help. Anytime :smile:

Cheers, I'm in Year 12, so next year will be my turn to apply. I haven't done any work experience yet for Law, but what I am doing is an EPQ in the field of Law and i've been to a taster course at Queen Mary's I have one more to attend at LSE in late June. Do you think it is a good idea to get work experience in a Law firm, and in terms of your offer, was it AAA, or anything higher?

Thanks.
Is it still possible to transfer my residence at this point???
Original post by JJMills
Thanks to both of you.

A few final questions:

STEP I is probably the easiest of the 3 STEPs so it would be best to do that, and doing AEA as well would be quite a good idea as it will help if you don't do so well on one of the papers. As for an extra AS level, I doubt they'll look at that, maths is what's most important. :smile:
Reply 2735
Original post by shaminn
Cheers, I'm in Year 12, so next year will be my turn to apply. I haven't done any work experience yet for Law, but what I am doing is an EPQ in the field of Law and i've been to a taster course at Queen Mary's I have one more to attend at LSE in late June. Do you think it is a good idea to get work experience in a Law firm, and in terms of your offer, was it AAA, or anything higher?

Thanks.

Hey again,
Well, it really is not a requirement to have work experience at a law firm. I think what is the most important is how you apply your existing work experience to the skills needed for law. So don't stress out at all if you don't.
Yep, my offer is AAA. What subjects are you doing then? :smile:
Original post by missach
Hey again,
Well, it really is not a requirement to have work experience at a law firm. I think what is the most important is how you apply your existing work experience to the skills needed for law. So don't stress out at all if you don't.
Yep, my offer is AAA. What subjects are you doing then? :smile:

Ah okay, I will bare that in mind for the Summer. I'm doing English Lit, History, Economics and Photography. So it's quite a solid set, of which I'm dropping Photography at A2. Just 3 exams left to go!
Reply 2737
Original post by shaminn
Ah okay, I will bare that in mind for the Summer. I'm doing English Lit, History, Economics and Photography. So it's quite a solid set, of which I'm dropping Photography at A2. Just 3 exams left to go!

Good luck with them! I'm sure you'll do fab! :smile:
Reply 2738
Original post by ttoby
Had another look. There's two from Santander, two from Barclays but none from Lloyds TSB. Then in Cannon Park there are two from Tesco and one from Coventry building society. All of the ones I saw had the PLUS logo on. Here's some photos so you can see what they're compatible with (sorry about the sidewaysness of them).

Brilliant! Thanks!
Are there any Afro-caribbean barbers in or around the Warwick/Leam/Cov area?

Quick Reply

Latest