The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys! I've received a conditional offer for International Business at Warwick and for similar courses at the University of Bath and the Durham University. I'm an EU student and I've heard that all of them are very good at studying business/management.. so now I don't know which one to choose.

Is anyone else applying for the same universities? Could you tell me your opinion on them or which one would you choose and why?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I understand that the application process for Warwick bursary is via Student Finance. Does that mean that when i apply for student finance the university will look into the application through student Finance. Then decide if I am eligible for the bursary. If that is the case how long will it take for the university to let me know if i qualify for their bursary.
Does anyone know why the Department of Economics at Warwick is so expensive?
It's as much as Engineering or other science course that need lab equipment.
Reply 3663
Original post by Sara158
Hi guys! I've received a conditional offer for International Business at Warwick and for similar courses at the University of Bath and the Durham University. I'm an EU student and I've heard that all of them are very good at studying business/management.. so now I don't know which one to choose.

Is anyone else applying for the same universities? Could you tell me your opinion on them or which one would you choose and why?

I applied for Durham as well. I personally would narrow it down to Warwick vs Durham in terms of prestige. Then if your course is located at Stockton in Durham then I would choose Warwick. Stockton is awful.
See you at Warwick :smile:
Reply 3664
I really enjoyed warwick when I visited and will most likely firm it (doing politics). I just have two main concerns. Firstly, I've heard it has one of the highest proportions of internationals. Now this wouldn't be a problem for me because I love to find out about other cultures but I've also heard that they tend to form exclusive groups. Is this the case and is the high number of internationals really noticeable? For a course like Politics would it be very diverse? What is the ethic mix of the university? How many Black Africans/Carribeans/Others, Asians, Indians? Also what is the ration of private schooled to state schooled students? Are there any private school people or is the number very low and would you say Warwick is quite elitest?
In terms of halls, has anyone got any information on Sherbourne? I never seem to hear any pros and cons.
Finally, would you say there is a 50/50 split in terms of ethnicities and wealth within the halls? Are some halls distinctively full of Middle class and others really international?

Many thanks in advance :smile:
I really enjoyed warwick when I visited and will most likely firm it (doing politics). I just have two main concerns. Firstly, I've heard it has one of the highest proportions of internationals. Now this wouldn't be a problem for me because I love to find out about other cultures but I've also heard that they tend to form exclusive groups. Is this the case and is the high number of internationals really noticeable?

I believe the proportion is slightly higher than average, yes. Having come here from Leicester, I can't really talk about whether it'll be noticeable or not. Some groups of international students tend to keep themselves, others don't, much the same as any other group of people.

For a course like Politics would it be very diverse? What is the ethic mix of the university? How many Black Africans/Carribeans/Others, Asians, Indians?

Don't know about Politics specifically, but here's the information available on the university website (here - not detailed, unfortunately, but better than nothing):

The population of the West Midlands is 90% white, and Coventry is 84% white. The University Community is even more diverse: the staff body is 82.5% white and 10.5% BME. The student undergraduate body is 64% white with the next largest grouping being Indian at 6%. The postgraduate body is 47% white with the next largest grouping being Chinese at 17%.

Also what is the ration of private schooled to state schooled students? Are there any private school people or is the number very low and would you say Warwick is quite elitest?

This claims 76:24, whilst this claims 25.3% private.
It depends what you mean by "elitist". Specifically, it's academically elitist, in the sense that it only takes students with very good grades. Other than that, not really.

In terms of halls, has anyone got any information on Sherbourne? I never seem to hear any pros and cons.

Sherbourne's quite nice. A tad expensive, but very new and fancy. If you happen to care, it's a slightly longer walk from there to most parts of campus than most halls.

Finally, would you say there is a 50/50 split in terms of ethnicities and wealth within the halls? Are some halls distinctively full of Middle class and others really international?

They're mostly similar sorts of ratios. Bluebell perhaps marginally more international students.
Hi all! I'm an international postgrad holder on a scholarship... I'm trying to get an idea of what a weekly budget would look like, and how much I can expect to spend on general living expenses after rent.

What's the general weekly cost of living for most students (particularly postgrads if possible)?

Also, is it very common for postgrad students to join societies? From what I can tell they mainly seem aimed at freshers starting for the year - would I be the odd one out if I joined some?

Cheers!
Original post by Theridamas
Hi all! I'm an international postgrad holder on a scholarship... I'm trying to get an idea of what a weekly budget would look like, and how much I can expect to spend on general living expenses after rent.

What's the general weekly cost of living for most students (particularly postgrads if possible)?

If you're living on campus: basically just food. Something like £30/week wouldn't be unreasonable.
If living in private accommodation: the same, plus whatever bills aren't included in your bills. Internet will be pretty cheap - electricity/heating/water will be the big chunks. For a house, they'll probably average something maybe £50/week over the year between them, so maybe something like £20/week would be a reasonable number to use for budgeting reasons (Going off generic information found online here, I got a contract with gas & electricity included, so I don't have firsthand knowledge)?

Also, is it very common for postgrad students to join societies? From what I can tell they mainly seem aimed at freshers starting for the year - would I be the odd one out if I joined some?

Cheers!

Yeah, absolutely. Some societies have more or less postgrads than others, for whatever reason, but most have a fair number. Not as many as the SU would like us to have, but you're unlikely to be the only one.
Reply 3668
Original post by BlueSam3
I believe the proportion is slightly higher than average, yes. Having come here from Leicester, I can't really talk about whether it'll be noticeable or not. Some groups of international students tend to keep themselves, others don't, much the same as any other group of people.

Don't know about Politics specifically, but here's the information available on the university website (here - not detailed, unfortunately, but better than nothing):

The population of the West Midlands is 90% white, and Coventry is 84% white. The University Community is even more diverse: the staff body is 82.5% white and 10.5% BME. The student undergraduate body is 64% white with the next largest grouping being Indian at 6%. The postgraduate body is 47% white with the next largest grouping being Chinese at 17%.

This claims 76:24, whilst this claims 25.3% private.
It depends what you mean by "elitist". Specifically, it's academically elitist, in the sense that it only takes students with very good grades. Other than that, not really.

Sherbourne's quite nice. A tad expensive, but very new and fancy. If you happen to care, it's a slightly longer walk from there to most parts of campus than most halls.

They're mostly similar sorts of ratios. Bluebell perhaps marginally more international students.

Thank you so much this was perfect! You've cleared all my issues :smile:
Reply 3669
Does Warwick have a edgy/drum and bass scene or should I just go for a city uni like Bristol?
Original post by Age
Does Warwick have a edgy/drum and bass scene or should I just go for a city uni like Bristol?

Loooooooooool nope! Bristol is soooo much better for that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3671
Original post by yabbayabba
Loooooooooool nope! Bristol is soooo much better for that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is so upsetting, how am i going to cope?? haha. How accurate are those personal statement forms you fill in? Like if i mentioned that I want to be around really sociable outgoing people into dnb/hip hop/house etc
Original post by Age
This is so upsetting, how am i going to cope?? haha. How accurate are those personal statement forms you fill in? Like if i mentioned that I want to be around really sociable outgoing people into dnb/hip hop/house etc

Nobody's going to take notice of your taste in music, but they'll take into account you want to be in a noisy halls.
Reply 3673
Is Warwick as ugly as everyone says
Original post by stuf
Is Warwick as ugly as everyone says

What's your definition of ugly? :curious:
Hi everyone, bit early as I'm sitting my GCSEs currently, but Warwick might be one of my choices, can any History students reccommend it? whats the course like? is it engaging? Thanks :smile:
Original post by hrmpurser
Hi everyone, bit early as I'm sitting my GCSEs currently, but Warwick might be one of my choices, can any History students reccommend it? whats the course like? is it engaging? Thanks :smile:

My flatmate does History, it sounds really interesting from how she describes it. Nothing like the boring history at school where you just learn facts and figures - you learn about things like postmodernism etc. Though I imagine it's like that at lots of unis too. Not much contact time. But you really should wait a bit before deciding on a uni subject so soon! At least wait til you start A levels, you may change your mind completely. I did a little.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yabbayabba
My flatmate does History, it sounds really interesting from how she describes it. Nothing like the boring history at school where you just learn facts and figures - you learn about things like postmodernism etc. Though I imagine it's like that at lots of unis too. Not much contact time. But you really should wait a bit before deciding on a uni subject so soon! At least wait til you start A levels, you may change your mind completely. I did a little.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I completely changed my mind since GCSEs, I'd been convinced I was going to go to uni and do psychology. I even thought this up until about Easter in Year 12. I've since changed my mind totally, I'm now a firm offer holder for English Lit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3678
not aesthetically pleasing, not nice to look at, dark, grey,
Original post by stuf
not aesthetically pleasing, not nice to look at, dark, grey,

But that differs for different people :curious: . I would highly recommend you come and have a look yourself. Some buildings on central campus are grey, because they're made from concrete, some are red because they're made from bricks, some have 1960s ''square'' architecture, some are modern-styled, some accommodation looks like grey blocks on the outside, some are new and modern, there're some places which don't look nice, but there are lakes, green spaces, various artworks around.

Warwick has a mixture of everything. It was built in the 1960s, so does have some 1960s architecture, same with the accommodation blocks. But a fair number of buildings are newly built and look fairly modern (SU, arts centre, WMG/maths/IDL/Product buildings). Some accommodation is 1960s-like (Rootes) and some are more red-brick and homely (AV/JM) and some are more modern (Bluebell/Sherbourne). There's a new business school being built which is modern. The Science building LOOKS old from the outside, but MAS and Chemistry has had a refurb, and engineering is trying its best...

I can't answer your question for you. Yes, some areas are ugly. Yes some are ugly on the outside only. No, some areas are NOT ugly.

Come see for yourself!

Quick Reply

Latest