Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Flipsta
Hey,

I'm a really big music enthusiast and look to be playing for fun or possibly gig at the uni providing that I can pull together a band. I play guitar and drums. Will I be able to play at university gigs, will the university be able to offer me a band room and finally is the live music scene decent in Warwick itself or at Coventry?

You'll be wanting to join Bandsoc then: http://bandsoc.co.uk/
They have a bookable band room, annual BOTB and the local gigging scene is... decent enough.
Final of BOTB is next week too, I'm looking forward to it :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 41
estel
You'll be wanting to join Bandsoc then: http://bandsoc.co.uk/
They have a bookable band room, annual BOTB and the local gigging scene is... decent enough.
Final of BOTB is next week too, I'm looking forward to it :smile:

Hi again. Had a look and its exactly what i've been looking for. A great help :smile:. I've got to decide between either Warwick or Leeds as first choice so i'm having to get to the nitty gritty of everything.

If any other hopeful Warwick applicants who are interested in forming a band, here's me on the drums http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5NKY5jgjio . Quite experienced on the guitar too :P.
Reply 42
Hiya, please quote me so I know that someone's replied to me ^^

I'm trying to pick between Warwick and Imperial to study Maths.

Would anyone be able to outline how Warwick may surpass Imperial in this field (apart from league tables :smile: )

How many lectures a week, how often are we supervised, examined and checked on? If you know these details for imperial too, that'd be helpful.

Also, what sort of dance classes are on offer, I'm a big dancer. Is there an ice rink near by, i'm a figure skater too.

I play the piano and drums too; what sort of opportunities would i have?

I'm also into drama, more musical theatre and dance. How involved can you get in these without it taking up your life?

Does it get boring in this little 'bubble' as some describe it?
What's the weather like? I come from somewhere pretty hot so I'm not used to cold weather. Is it like London, or more like Durham?

After having a look at Imperial's timetable, I saw that some lectures could be at 5pm. Is this also the case in Warwick? What time would the earliest one be?
Hi all!!

I would like to know about part time opportunities.. I have a degree in Business Management (Finance & Accountancy) from my home country, and will be heading over to Warwick to start my studies..

Will my prior degree help in securing a part time job with higher hourly wages in a related field? Or do you think that a CFA Level 1 certification will be more beneficial?

Thank you so much! =D
Kinkei
How many lectures a week, how often are we supervised, examined and checked on? If you know these details for imperial too, that'd be helpful.

Also, what sort of dance classes are on offer, I'm a big dancer. Is there an ice rink near by, i'm a figure skater too.

I'm also into drama, more musical theatre and dance. How involved can you get in these without it taking up your life?

What's the weather like? I come from somewhere pretty hot so I'm not used to cold weather. Is it like London, or more like Durham?

After having a look at Imperial's timetable, I saw that some lectures could be at 5pm. Is this also the case in Warwick? What time would the earliest one be?

Hi again :smile:

We have 3 or 4 core modules in Terms 1 and 2: (Term 1: Foundations [infinite sets, number systems], Analysis I, Differential Equations. Term 2: Analysis II, Geometry and Motion, Linear Algebra). Each of these have 3 hours of lectures a week for 10 weeks each. Analysis also have a few hours of support classes in addition to lectures - in fact the support classes for Analysis I are much more helpful than the lecture. There are also smaller 6 CAT modules (worth half as much as the 12 CAT core modules) that are Vectors and Matrices, Probability A, and Maths by Computer which run for fewer weeks or have fewer lectures in a week. In total the core modules total 90 CATS. For other modules, have a look at the PYDC so see other option modules you can take and all about over CATing.

1 72 My term timetable where I did CATS

2 66 My term timetable where I did CATS

We get weekly assignments for the core modules which we have to do every week - they get set weekly and we have between 6 to 10 days to hand them in. These assignments typically come to 15% of the module, so each one is perhaps worth less than 0.3% of your first year. There are some small, but significant exams in the first term with Foundations and Vectors and Matrices, as well as an exam in January (worth 10% of the year) in Analysis I and Foundations. Then there are the exams in Term 3 which make up the majority of your marks.

We get 2 hours of supervisions every week and I personally see my tutor once a week (some only see their tutor every other week). The supervisors mark your work and in them you go through any assessed questions from the core modules. If you choose options that are outside of the maths department (statistics/physics/economics/etc) you normally get support classes.

Not too sure on Imperial.

Dancing: there are dance societies check this page out that you can join and there are plenty of performances all year around, especially during One World Week in term 2. There is an ice rink at the Coventry SkyDome which is a 20 minute bus ride from campus. Not too sure about a skating soc but if you want to you can set one up :yy:

There are plenty of societies you can join and you can practice piano and drums in the music centre in the Warwick Arts Centre on campus. Similarly you can do the same with theatre and arts. You can choose how much you can participate and you don't have to go every week (unless there's some sort of performance you've signed up to do and you probably need to practice for that).

Weather is pretty negligable. Perhaps in London it will feel warmer because of the higher population density, you still get snow and you get get freezing cold days where ever you go. However Durham will probably suffer the cold days more often as it is nearer the north east.

You've already seen what I've said about the bubble in my PM.
Reply 45
davidcarvalho
I Love Mathematics. It is indeed the thing I love the most. I think as a mathematician and not as a physicist. Albeit my primary focus was/is Physics, I was quite thrown out of it mainly due to the somewhat frequent lack of evidence or proof that I always encountered while learning Physics.
As much as I love Physics, the "mathematical side skills" I needed to acquire soon grew immensely on me and today I'm quite confident to state that I could be one of those happy clever undergrads getting in to Maths courses.
With this in mind, I categorically chose Warwick because of its reputation and leadership in the area. Mathematics and Physics at Warwick seemed a pretty advanced and theoretically consistent course and, being a joint degree, I felt it could suit my interests and aims, mainly due to: a) its interdisciplinary nature and flexibility; b) the flair for natural and exact sciences. Now my point is, for some reason (not quite logical, so it seems), Maths students tend to look down on MathPhys or even Physics students (that's what I've been noticing). Would you agree with this?
I definitely don't want to regret this option I'm going to take, so I definitely want to be proved wrong!

Thanks once again
David

Being a maths student who is currently taking all of the phyiscs modules available this year I'll answer some of your questions.

Firstly, yes it is true that in general, MathPhys and physics students get looked down on at Warwick by the Maths department. I don't really think its deserved, seeing as in the first year most maths students with an interest in physics will take similar if not almost identical modules to a MathPhys. I guess Dave Wood doesn't really help in the first 10 weeks either by insulting them at every opportunity. However, I have noticed a few things:

1. The first year physics modules are generally easier than the maths ones. There will be a lack of mathematical rigour in all physics modules. (Some, such as particle physics, have almost no maths). Several of my friends doing physics modules have voiced the exact same opinion, and many have dropped modules because of this. While I agree that its impossible to keeps things 100% mathematically rigorous in a physics course, it can be pretty frustrating to regularly see holes in proofs and derivations.

2. I'm not sure about this, but I've heard that the marks for the maths modules MathPhys students take are scaled differently to the maths guys. (Can someone here clarify this?)

3. I also know several MathPhys students who seem to regularly get away with lack of rigour in their assignments. Their supervisors seem slightly more relaxed as well in terms of marking. I know this doesn't necessarily mean all MathPhys are like this, but (current students), you should see the stuff they sometimes come up with.

Having said this, at the end of the day it all depends on whether you are happy with your course. These tiny differences and the banter that goes on between the two courses are not really worth taking into consideration if you're happy with your course, and if you're not happy you can always switch (I mean between Maths and MathsPhys- it quickly becomes impossible for physics students to swap to MathPhys/Maths)
turgon
1. The first year physics modules are generally easier than the maths ones. There will be a lack of mathematical rigour in all physics modules. (Some, such as particle physics, have almost no maths). Several of my friends doing physics modules have voiced the exact same opinion, and many have dropped modules because of this. While I agree that its impossible to keeps things 100% mathematically rigorous in a physics course, it can be pretty frustrating to regularly see holes in proofs and derivations.

2. I'm not sure about this, but I've heard that the marks for the maths modules MathPhys students take are scaled differently to the maths guys. (Can someone here clarify this?)

I did Classical Mech and Special Relativity last term and found it utterly mind numbing. The way it was taught wasn't inspiring and the way he relied on double projectors in a dark room at 9am on a Wednesday and mid afternoon on the other two days just made me sleep (those hours - 9-10 and 2-3 are the ones I'm most likely to drift off during). Support class wasn't great and the textbook (University Physics - £50 or more for a new one, which you need to access the online materials) is so expensive especially for a 12 CAT module which makes up less than 1% of my overall degree.. That's the trouble with learning some module outside your department: the support isn't as great (even with Prob B I see this).

Credit wise - Maths students don't have assessed work and it is 100% exam. Physics it is like 15-20% assessed and the final exam only 80-85%. That's for CMSR, not sure for anything else.
turgon
Being a maths student who is currently taking all of the phyiscs modules available this year I'll answer some of your questions.

Firstly, yes it is true that in general, MathPhys and physics students get looked down on at Warwick by the Maths department. I don't really think its deserved, seeing as in the first year most maths students with an interest in physics will take similar if not almost identical modules to a MathPhys. I guess Dave Wood doesn't really help in the first 10 weeks either by insulting them at every opportunity. However, I have noticed a few things:

3. I also know several MathPhys students who seem to regularly get away with lack of rigour in their assignments. Their supervisors seem slightly more relaxed as well in terms of marking. I know this doesn't necessarily mean all MathPhys are like this, but (current students), you should see the stuff they sometimes come up with.

Having said this, at the end of the day it all depends on whether you are happy with your course. These tiny differences and the banter that goes on between the two courses are not really worth taking into consideration if you're happy with your course, and if you're not happy you can always switch (I mean between Maths and MathsPhys- it quickly becomes impossible for physics students to swap to MathPhys/Maths)

thanks, that helped a lot.
I mean, I keep all the possibilities open. As much as I like Physics, I'd swap for single maths. I want rigour and I was pretty convinced Physics at university level was just that. I don't want this "let's try to show this formula by whichever mathematical atrocity / dubious-heinous consideration we shall find" paradigm to go on any more...

P.S. I mean, Physics and Mathematics walk towards the sunset, hand in hand!:hugs: :yep: so what's the point of this rivalry... jeez, mess around with chemistry, biology, environmental sciences and so on :rolleyes:
Reply 48
Kinkei

Dancing - there's loads of dancing on offer here. Latin & Ballroom are very welcoming and the classes are great fun. There's also salsa, modern jive, ballet, tap, Irish...and I'm probably missing a few out. The dance societies put on a huge show each year too in Leamington called Pizazz - check that out if it sounds like your thing.

Ice rink - yes, in Coventry. Short bus ride away.

Piano/drums - if you want to play with other people there's plenty of bands/groups/whatever around. There's tons of musical people here!

Drama - depends upon what extent you wish to be involved really. If you throw yourself into it wholly then yes it will start to take up your whole life...if you want less involvement then I'm sure that's possible. Some of the drama socs are quite cliquey (predictably) though so it's worth getting properly involved I think as you'll get further.

The bubble is easy to escape even if you do get bored. Personally I like it - everything's here and makes life much more simple.

Weather...varies a lot. It can be pretty cold but then it can also be pretty warm. Typical for the UK climate! It rains less here than where I'm from though. Plus is warmer...I'd guess it's more London than Durham!

Lectures start at 9am (although you won't necessarily have 9ams every day) and I know people who have 6pm lectures finishing at 7pm...although I don't think that maths students have ones this late - the lecture I'm thinking of is for law students.
What's the best way to get laid at Warwick? Like which events are usually crawling with loose girls? I intend to go through as much fresher pussy as possible in my first week.
Zweihander
What's the best way to get laid at Warwick? Like which events are usually crawling with loose girls? I intend to go through as much fresher pussy as possible in my first week.

Basically any club night during Freshers Fortnight then :p: Also, arrive on Saturday regardless of your name and go to both Fresher's Arrival nights :yy: If it is a gig then you're getting crushed by everyone around you. If you are looking for tips about the best way then 'mafraid it's against the rules, but generally it involves some :jiggy:

Get your freshers passport (£50 last year) - it's worth it if you intend on going to a few gigs and the ball in addition to the club nights. The Platinum Card is more expensive (£200 last year) and reduces uncertainty as you won't need to pay for any union event for the year. Get it before you buy the passport or don't get it at all. I don't think many people spend £200 on union events (I might go through £150, perhaps), but if you enjoy the expensive events (Pressure - Drum and Bass, Ministry of Sound, a few Gigs) then you will get value for money. The Platinum card as you can still 'buy' your ticket for the event (for £0) and don't bother to go if no one else is going - useful for events that sell out a day before perhaps and there's indecision whether to go to Smack or not.
Reply 51
Hey all, I got into Warwick Law and originally was excited to go,but the Bristol package looked way more appealing. Where can I get/who do I have to email to get a law package or prospectus from Warwick?

Thanks guys,

Harris
Harris
Hey all, I got into Warwick Law and originally was excited to go,but the Bristol package looked way more appealing. Where can I get/who do I have to email to get a law package or prospectus from Warwick?

Thanks guys,

Harris

Found this on the department website:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/law/ug/prospective/admissions/prosp.pdf

Otherwise, scout around here.

And if you want the general prospectus, go here :smile:

And you seem to be an international student. Check out this page and consider doing the Orientation programme. It can give you more time to prepare for uni if you have just arrived from Canada (on the other hand it isn't as necessary if you have family over here who can put you up for a week for you to get all your stuff ready, but perhaps a nice way to meet people before Freshers properly starts).
Reply 53
TheTallOne
Found this on the department website:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/law/ug/prospective/admissions/prosp.pdf

Otherwise, scout around here.

And if you want the general prospectus, go here :smile:

And you seem to be an international student. Check out this page and consider doing the Orientation programme. It can give you more time to prepare for uni if you have just arrived from Canada (on the other hand it isn't as necessary if you have family over here who can put you up for a week for you to get all your stuff ready, but perhaps a nice way to meet people before Freshers properly starts).

Thanks so much for the help, that was awesome.
Hi there,

I got an offer for Business Management and would like to know more about the course, such as the number of lectures, whether the course requires a lot of work, and most of all, whether I'll get to have fun during my first year at Warwick!

Reply 55
hey, I've got 2 questions :smile:
1. Part-time job
How common it is to have a part-time job at Warwick? I'd really use some extra cash and I'd like to get a job while at uni but i'm afraid that since Warwick is a campus uni it'll be hard to find some vacancy. How easy it is to get a job there?

2. Studying abroad
I was looking at economics depertment website and they have ERASMUS exchange programmes and like 2spots to study at University of California but studying abroad is considered as extra year. It is really weird.. at all other universities I've been looking at, you can easily go abroad for a semester or a yr and it'd count towards ur final degree..
Reply 56
fruttidee
hey, I've got 2 questions :smile:
1. Part-time job
How common it is to have a part-time job at Warwick? I'd really use some extra cash and I'd like to get a job while at uni but i'm afraid that since Warwick is a campus uni it'll be hard to find some vacancy. How easy it is to get a job there?

2. Studying abroad
I was looking at economics depertment website and they have ERASMUS exchange programmes and like 2spots to study at University of California but studying abroad is considered as extra year. It is really weird.. at all other universities I've been looking at, you can easily go abroad for a semester or a yr and it'd count towards ur final degree..

1. So long as you apply for lots of positions and apply early (as in, make it a top priority when you get to campus, or even put some applications in before term starts) then you should be able to find some kind of job. The only people I know who whinge about not having a job are the ones that aren't proactive about finding one. Look into Warwick Callers, best paid job on campus. Try and get some kind of experience of paid work over the summer if you haven't already, it'll stand you in really good stead and they look for experience on pretty much all the job applications.

2. Depends on your specific degree scheme as to how much time it'll be and whether it'll add an extra year or not, I think. Most will add, yeah, because you're spending a year away from Warwick so not studying their modules so not getting CATS with them... Don't worry about an extra year though if you want to have the study abroad experience - it's really not much in the grand scheme of things and you'll gain so much!
Reply 57
georgia
1. So long as you apply for lots of positions and apply early (as in, make it a top priority when you get to campus, or even put some applications in before term starts) then you should be able to find some kind of job. The only people I know who whinge about not having a job are the ones that aren't proactive about finding one. Look into Warwick Callers, best paid job on campus. Try and get some kind of experience of paid work over the summer if you haven't already, it'll stand you in really good stead and they look for experience on pretty much all the job applications.

2. Depends on your specific degree scheme as to how much time it'll be and whether it'll add an extra year or not, I think. Most will add, yeah, because you're spending a year away from Warwick so not studying their modules so not getting CATS with them... Don't worry about an extra year though if you want to have the study abroad experience - it's really not much in the grand scheme of things and you'll gain so much!

thanks a lot!
it's great that there are some jobs available. I'm planning on working during summer to earn some money for uni so I'll hopefully get some work experience :wink:
Reply 58
When does freshers week start? If unknown, when did it start last year?
blap
When does freshers week start? If unknown, when did it start last year?

Freshers starts during arrivals weekend (or the Monday after, whatever), and continues for two weeks (amongst lectures and stuff). Arrivals weekend is probably October 2nd/3rd this year so there's your answer.

Quick Reply

Latest