The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Question:
Is it impossible to move out of university accommodation midway through a year? e.g. if I wanted to move into a private flat in Coventry at Christmas, would this be possible?
I assume not, but want to check.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
2Lee4j
Question:
Is it impossible to move out of university accommodation midway through a year? e.g. if I wanted to move into a private flat in Coventry at Christmas, would this be possible?
I assume not, but want to check.

By all means you could do that, but you would most likely be liable for your on-campus accommodation rent for the rest of the year unless you can find someone to replace you.
Yeah: I know someone who is paying for rent in a house in Leamington as well as a JM room. Very expensive.
Reply 63
Is it a pain having to share kitchens: I saw that one place said up to 22 people sharing a kitchen 0.0 If I'm cooking that'd be quite annoying...
Reply 64
That's just Westwood. Most of the rest are 6-12.

I'm in a flat of 8 and it's fine :smile:
Reply 65
Leamington Spa seems to be far away from campus (on Google maps at least). Any thoughts on this, is it closer than it appears?
Reply 66
georgia
That's just Westwood. Most of the rest are 6-12.

I'm in a flat of 8 and it's fine :smile:

if i were to pick westwood, would the 20 odd people be a pain? :smile:
Reply 67
Kinkei
if i were to pick westwood, would the 20 odd people be a pain? :smile:

Depends on what you're like and what you're happy with. I personally would hate it, but that's why I didn't put it down. I guess it's something you learn to live with, you know? I don't know how many cookers/fridges there are and that'll make a significant difference.
I've heard that larger kitchens like in Westwood and Benefactors suffer from the case of the stolen food more often than the smaller kitchens, perhaps because there are more people in the kitchen and that there is an idea that there are so many people that you won't be able to pinpoint the person out. Then again, there are the benefits of having a larger social group to start with (which is beneficial for Westwood).

Again, I'm not sure about how the kitchens are exactly laid out/fridge numbers.
Reply 69
The kitchens in Westwood tend to be the best part of twice as big as the other kitchens. I don't think you have a problem with contention for space really :smile:
Reply 70
I'd like to ask about the societies and clubs...is it organised so that we can do, say, up to 4 classes of dance a week, or is it like, every wednesday afternoon that you'd only be able to do activities? How does dance or musical theatre society/clubs work, just in general? :smile: thanks!

I'm also quite big on healthy eating. Anything good over there? :smile: I'm a veg...sooo..

And i don't mean just salads. I mean: good, hearty meals which aren't deep fried in a bucket of oil :smile:

one more thing. I sorta like variety and I've heard the many horror stories of it being 'boring and monotonous' over there. I live in a city where I don't get any greenery. So is there much to enjoy there, walking and parks or something....are there a nice range of restaurants and cafes which are all closely situated (to the maths department :smile:..or just the campus lol ) or is pretty limited?
Reply 71
(it amuses me that the kitchen is considered to be the social hub in Warwick haha...jokes:P I'm still having some difficulty choosing between Warwick and UCL but it is leaning way more to warwick :P)
Reply 72
Sorry. last one. So i've looked at the students union page and it almost looks too amazing to believe, i love all of it.

just can't access the 'dance collective' page, what genres of dance are offered? im most interested in ballet, contemporary and street jazz, so if they are..and classes are regular and at different times... :smile:

will musical theatre probably require me to do like frequent rehearsals that would jeopardise the dance lessons?

ok :smile: thats it haha thanks everyone. im going for warwick, if the student union is as great as it seems. and the summer festival thing looks SO cute! :P
Reply 73
Kinkei
I'd like to ask about the societies and clubs...is it organised so that we can do, say, up to 4 classes of dance a week, or is it like, every wednesday afternoon that you'd only be able to do activities? How does dance or musical theatre society/clubs work, just in general? :smile: thanks!

I'm also quite big on healthy eating. Anything good over there? :smile: I'm a veg...sooo..

And i don't mean just salads. I mean: good, hearty meals which aren't deep fried in a bucket of oil :smile:

one more thing. I sorta like variety and I've heard the many horror stories of it being 'boring and monotonous' over there. I live in a city where I don't get any greenery. So is there much to enjoy there, walking and parks or something....are there a nice range of restaurants and cafes which are all closely situated (to the maths department :smile:..or just the campus lol ) or is pretty limited?

Dance lessons and practises are spread throughout the week, you can definitely do more than one kind of dance - you're not restricted to Wednesday at all. I dance with Latin and Ballroom sometimes and their beginners classes are Mondays and Thursdays at 6/6.30 in Cryfields Pavillion or Westwood. L&B have coaches who come in and teach, and also the exec teach the basics to beginners when they first go. They're all super friendly and supportive! I know ballet varies between professional and student run classes. Musical theatre, no clue.

I'm vegetarian and have no problems. There's a huge Tesco just off campus (Canon Park) with most of what you'd need, and there's healthfood shops in Leam and Cov if you want something more obscure. There's also fruit and veg markets in the SU atrium once or twice a week. All Warwick accommodation is selfcatered but all the cafes/restaurants on campus have multiple veggie options and even vegan ones. Check out the Bread Oven - so addictive and so tasty!

Kinkei
Sorry. last one. So i've looked at the students union page and it almost looks too amazing to believe, i love all of it.

just can't access the 'dance collective' page, what genres of dance are offered? im most interested in ballet, contemporary and street jazz, so if they are..and classes are regular and at different times... :smile:

will musical theatre probably require me to do like frequent rehearsals that would jeopardise the dance lessons?

ok :smile: thats it haha thanks everyone. im going for warwick, if the student union is as great as it seems. and the summer festival thing looks SO cute! :P

They have all those types of dance, or so I believe. Classes are at the very minimum weekly and most will be different times. You may find clashes with your lectures if it's a club that offers daytime lessons...I found that with ballet which sucked and meant I couldn't do it :frown:

Why would rehearsals jeopardise dance lessons?
Reply 74
Kinkei

If the dancing's like the drama then I'd guess that the "collective" thing just brings together all the individual societies - which are listed in the performance section :smile:

I'm a 2010 fresher too so probably completely wrong on that though :biggrin:

Have you seen the Musical theatre website? http://www.musictheatrewarwick.co.uk/ Looks like there's some pretty cool stuff going on :yes:
how much does it cost to join a society on average?
victor_b1992
how much does it cost to join a society on average?

Societies federation membership costs £10 for one year (or £18 for two or £22 for three or £25 for four years). Then joining a society on top of that costs a few quid, usually no more than £4 or 5. Most are £3.

There are also free societies (for example Free Hugs and the Halls societies) which do not require the Societies Federation membership.

Warwick Sport (for sports clubs) costs £40 to join for the year and sports clubs are £4.
TheTallOne
Societies federation membership costs £10 for one year (or £18 for two or £22 for three or £25 for four years). Then joining a society on top of that costs a few quid, usually no more than £4 or 5. Most are £3.

There are also free societies (for example Free Hugs and the Halls societies) which do not require the Societies Federation membership.

Warwick Sport (for sports clubs) costs £40 to join for the year and sports clubs are £4.

so you have to pay 3-5 for ever vist. e.g. say you are in a dance society it would be from £3-5 for ever lesson
victor_b1992
so you have to pay 3-5 for ever vist. e.g. say you are in a dance society it would be from £3-5 for ever lesson

Joining a society is a one off payment each year. They also get money from the large societies federation pot.

There can be additional costs to the society, for example with the Student Cinema you will need to pay to see a film (£2 instead of £3 for non-members) and the Poker Soc requires you to pay a buy in (depending on the tournament, there is a free tournament at the start of the year).

Dance/performance societies I would say would charge nothing for the rehearsals if doing a performance, but perhaps you will have to pay for a professional lesson. You can find out more stuff during the societies fair in Week 1.

Socials with societies will involve more money (you need to get to wherever the social is happening and pay for food/drink/entrance fee).
TheTallOne
Joining a society is a one off payment each year. They also get money from the large societies federation pot.

There can be additional costs to the society, for example with the Student Cinema you will need to pay to see a film (£2 instead of £3 for non-members) and the Poker Soc requires you to pay a buy in (depending on the tournament, there is a free tournament at the start of the year).

Dance/performance societies I would say would charge nothing for the rehearsals if doing a performance, but perhaps you will have to pay for a professional lesson. You can find out more stuff during the societies fair in Week 1.

Socials with societies will involve more money (you need to get to wherever the social is happening and pay for food/drink/entrance fee).

thanks man.

one last question, what accommodation Auther vic, or jack martin would be closer to the engineering lectures and by what difference.

sorry:smile:

and is Auther vic worth the extra money or not because i heard that it not much different at all the jack martin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending