The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

hi...i know this aint the right forum, but there seem to be a lot of people who really know their stuff...m stuck in a dilemma, i have offers from cass business school as well as imperial college business school for msc management..plz help me to decide which to chose...any advice is welcome..thanks
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1421
Original post by Closecl

Original post by Closecl
Is it advisable to get a bicycle for commuting around campus? I was told that the weather conditions may be prohibitive (rain and snow etc.). International student here, btw, so I'm not so clear on the road and weather conditions in warwick.

Sometimes the weather's good for cycling, sometimes it isn't. I would say most people do walk around campus rather than cycle but on the other hand, there are many people who cycle.

If you're an international student then you would probably find it easier to get a bike when you're over here, so you might want to come without a bike at first and then buy one if you think you'll need it.
I am currently studying in Year 12, looking to apply for Economics at Uni and I have a question about Warwick, so I thought I'd stick it here.

On the Economics department website it says that you can go on an Erasmus exchange (extending your degree to 4 years and having the 3rd year in a European Country). It's really important to me that I get the chance to do this, so does anyone know how competitive it is to get onto? I'd hopefully be applying for the Munich exchange.

If I were to come to Warwick, I would take a module at the language centre in the first year (as well as get involved in the German society to keep up the conversational side) to build on my knowledge of German from A-Level. Would this be sufficient preparation?

Replies from people from different departments would also be helpful, although not languages as the year abroad is part of their course from the start, damn lucky buggers! :tongue:

Thanks guys :biggrin:
Reply 1423
Original post by thegenius31416

I am currently studying in Year 12, looking to apply for Economics at Uni and I have a question about Warwick, so I thought I'd stick it here.

On the Economics department website it says that you can go on an Erasmus exchange (extending your degree to 4 years and having the 3rd year in a European Country). It's really important to me that I get the chance to do this, so does anyone know how competitive it is to get onto? I'd hopefully be applying for the Munich exchange.

If I were to come to Warwick, I would take a module at the language centre in the first year (as well as get involved in the German society to keep up the conversational side) to build on my knowledge of German from A-Level. Would this be sufficient preparation?

Replies from people from different departments would also be helpful, although not languages as the year abroad is part of their course from the start, damn lucky buggers! :tongue:

Thanks guys :biggrin:

I'm a maths student, and I know someone else doing maths who will also be doing the year abroad in Germany. You have to take German through the language centre in the second year. In maths it's common for people doing languages to do them in their 2nd year rather than their first. I've never looked into it myself so I'm not sure what the policy is about that. It's also important to make sure that your exam scores are sufficiently high. You should aim to get a 2.1 at least at the end of the first year to be accepted, although I have heard that they can be flexible if you get slightly below.
Original post by ttoby
I'm a maths student, and I know someone else doing maths who will also be doing the year abroad in Germany. You have to take German through the language centre in the second year. In maths it's common for people doing languages to do them in their 2nd year rather than their first. I've never looked into it myself so I'm not sure what the policy is about that. It's also important to make sure that your exam scores are sufficiently high. You should aim to get a 2.1 at least at the end of the first year to be accepted, although I have heard that they can be flexible if you get slightly below.

Thanks for answering :smile:

I'd be happy to do a German module as my option in the first year, but I don't want to have to use my option in the second year to take a German module at the language centre as then I won't be able to do the Mathematical Economics module (which looks really interesting to me) in second year. :frown:
Reply 1425

Thanks for answering :smile:

I'd be happy to do a German module as my option in the first year, but I don't want to have to use my option in the second year to take a German module at the language centre as then I won't be able to do the Mathematical Economics module (which looks really interesting to me) in second year. :frown:

I had a look on their website. According to page 41 onwards of http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/incoming/current_version_ug_handbook.pdf economics students can do a language in the first year, which is good. Another page which you might find useful is http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/current/erasmus
Original post by ttoby
I had a look on their website. According to page 41 onwards of http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/incoming/current_version_ug_handbook.pdf economics students can do a language in the first year, which is good. Another page which you might find useful is http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/current/erasmus

Aha, that second link I just discovered earlier today :tongue: If you go into year abroad reports, you can read the ones written by the Economics students who went to study in Munich and, according to them, all they did was A-level German plus a module at the language centre in first year, so looks promising :biggrin:

Thanks again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1427
Original post by lpassby
I appreciate the randomness of this question but would be grateful if anybody could offer some advice:

I'm going to see Hugh Laurie tomorrow at the Warwick Arts Centre, which I understand is on the Warwick campus.
Basically, I want to try and meet him afterwards (I do this at most gigs I go to), so was wondering whether anybody knew the vague locations of where the tourbus/transport would be parked, or where the "back door" would be? I've tried having a look on Google Maps but nothing is too clear.
Apologies in advance for the stupidity of this question, I just thought somebody here may have some clues!

i do know but its kind of hard to describe :/ basically the busses normally park right outside the arts centre so I assume thats the door they use, if you stand with your back to cost cutter then its right across the road from you, so if you come out of the arts centre heading towards the students union and follow the wall round to the left you should come across it :smile:
Reply 1428
Original post by lpassby
I appreciate the randomness of this question but would be grateful if anybody could offer some advice:

I'm going to see Hugh Laurie tomorrow at the Warwick Arts Centre, which I understand is on the Warwick campus.
Basically, I want to try and meet him afterwards (I do this at most gigs I go to), so was wondering whether anybody knew the vague locations of where the tourbus/transport would be parked, or where the "back door" would be? I've tried having a look on Google Maps but nothing is too clear.
Apologies in advance for the stupidity of this question, I just thought somebody here may have some clues!

If he is willing to talk to people afterwards, he will almost certainly direct people to where they can find him. If he doesn't mention anything then perhaps he's just looking for quiet.

The tour bus will be parked opposite Costcutters/SUHQ.
Original post by Danltn
If he is willing to talk to people afterwards, he will almost certainly direct people to where they can find him. If he doesn't mention anything then perhaps he's just looking for quiet.

The tour bus will be parked opposite Costcutters/SUHQ.

The show was yesterday :p:
Where's the best place to watch live televised football on campus?
Reply 1431
Original post by Talib-Lawli

Rootes Bar. They normally have it on the big screen and also several smaller screens dotted around.

See here: http://www.warwickretail.com/drink/whatson

Main quote: "We show ALL of the live sporting events (and we can put on events at your request) on any night where we do not have entertainment."
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1432

As well as rootes bar that someone mentioned, sometimes things are shown in the dirty duck, or at worst on the smaller tv's round the bars and pool room on the 1st floor of the students union.

Not technically on campus but another great place to see things is Varsity, its not technically on campus but its literally about 20 seconds from being on there, its near lakeside and the security office.
Reply 1433

Sometimes you can watch major sporting events on a big screen in the Copper Rooms, in the Students' Union as well.
Yeah, Euro 2012 will probably be covered by both the union and Rootes Bar.
Reply 1435
If I am doing MORSE and I have a friend doing PPE, will our economics stuff be the same?! Like, overlapping modules?

I assume not because we're approaching it from different sides but I was curious so thought I would ask anyway!!
Original post by alexx :)
If I am doing MORSE and I have a friend doing PPE, will our economics stuff be the same?! Like, overlapping modules?

I assume not because we're approaching it from different sides but I was curious so thought I would ask anyway!!

You probably share next to no modules: check out the course regs:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/quality/courseregs/courseregs1011/undergrad/
Anyone know where I can get a passport photo taken on campus?
Reply 1438
Original post by Zweihander

In Cannon Park there's a machine that can do that. I'm not sure how well you know Warwick, but that's the shopping centre where Tesco is, on cell H3 of http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/campusmap/
Reply 1439

there used to be one in the students union, it used to get moved about a bit but last time i saw it, it was in union HQ up the first stairs on your right just before you go into reception

Quick Reply

Latest