The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greg.
They would probably have to stay in a nearby hotel. Warwick Accommodation has this page, but just Googling something like 'hotels in Coventry' would also be effective.

Original post by ttoby
My parents stayed at a guest house in Leamington. There isn't really the room for the university to provide somewhere.

Original post by Greg1989
one of the international students i lived with in first year had his mom stay in his room for the first 2 weeks after moving in....it was weird...but she literally scrubbed our kitchen every day, so we were ok with it :biggrin:

Original post by TheTallOne
These are the closest to Warwick Uni:
http://www.78cannonclose.co.uk/
http://wwcottage.co.uk/
The above are bed and breakfasts and are within walking distance to campus.

As for Hotels, perhaps try the Village Hotel (which is on the 12 bus route to campus) or try some of the links above/Google.

Thank you a lot everyone...
Will look in those websites given above....and...yayy I'm gonna go to Warwick :biggrin:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Ah! That reminds me, haircuts! Do students who live on campus have anywhere to get there hair cut? (Indeed, do they even cut their hair at all?) Or do you have to head out to Coventry/Kennilworth/Leam?
Original post by Kidms001
Ah! That reminds me, haircuts! Do students who live on campus have anywhere to get there hair cut? (Indeed, do they even cut their hair at all?) Or do you have to head out to Coventry/Kennilworth/Leam?

Yeah there's a salon on campus: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/retail/salon/

It's located right next to the banks in Union south.
Yeah there's a salon on campus: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/retail/salon/

It's located right next to the banks in Union south.

Thanks (again)! Do they cater for just basic cuts in there? :rofl: .. I only get my hair cut and not styled :wink: .. And is it cheap?

I feel like I missed out so much when I came for the open day, we totally missed that area out! :woo: .. We got taken through the bar area and that was it for the SU. Is there a santander/abbey branch on campus?
Thanks (again)! Do they cater for just basic cuts in there? :rofl: .. I only get my hair cut and not styled :wink: .. And is it cheap?

I feel like I missed out so much when I came for the open day, we totally missed that area out! :woo: .. We got taken through the bar area and that was it for the SU. Is there a santander/abbey branch on campus?

Never been myself :p: I've been to Rio's in Earlsdon, as that was on my way there/back from my off campus house last year.

Banks on campus: Barclays, Natwest and yes, Santander.
How many days does the university usually take to give CAS statement for international student????
Original post by cazzy-joe
How many days does the university usually take to give CAS statement for international student????

Some information here but otherwise I'm not sure. Bet bet is to email [email protected]
Original post by cazzy-joe
Thank you a lot everyone...
Will look in those websites given above....and...yayy I'm gonna go to Warwick :biggrin:

The SU has arranged discounted rates for graduation week accomodation, you might be able to blag it for arrivals weekend as well? If not, at least here is a list of local hotels...
http://www.warwicksu.com/graduation/

Santander, Natwest and Barclays, the hairdresser (there is also one 10 minutes away in Cannon Park by the big tesco) and an STA travel in the union building
Reply 1569
What do girls normally wear for lectures? And is there any particular way in which Warwick students dress?
Reply 1570
Original post by mrigs

Original post by mrigs
What do girls normally wear for lectures? And is there any particular way in which Warwick students dress?

There's no dress code at all. Most people just dress casually, although if you want to wear something slightly dressier than that then that's fine as well.
You can even turn up in pyjamas if you really want to. Seriously, people don't care. Some make more effort than others, but that is to be expected.
Do we only need to give our name & number...or show some form of identification?

Thank you!
x

When do we have to re-enrol on my.warwick? (final selection of modules, etc.)
Original post by Focus08
When do we have to re-enrol on my.warwick? (final selection of modules, etc.)

September.

Final selection of modules - same time, although I'm not 100% sure how the econ department does it. For Maths, we choose modules on eMR and then they are locked in over term 1. Then there is a 2 week window in term 2 to change options, then it locks and you can't register for more modules. There is then a deregistration period at the end of term 2 and also for a few days at the start of term 3.
Original post by abrp
Do we only need to give our name & number...or show some form of identification?

Thank you!

To be honest I don't have much idea - perhaps your best bet is to contact the Academic Office directly: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/congregation/faqs/contactingus
Hey, how do students dry their clothes? I guess there are driers in the launderettes, but is there another way? I'd like to avoid spoiling my clothes by putting them in a drier, so could I just hang them up to dry somewhere?

And on a slighty different subject, is it windy in Warwick/Coventry? I was just wondering since I hate wind.

Thanks for your help
Original post by Hank_Moody
Hey, how do students dry their clothes? I guess there are driers in the launderettes, but is there another way? I'd like to avoid spoiling my clothes by putting them in a drier, so could I just hang them up to dry somewhere?

And on a slighty different subject, is it windy in Warwick/Coventry? I was just wondering since I hate wind.

Thanks for your help

It normally has to be dried in your room then - or if you have an en suite you can hang them from the shower curtain rail.

Consider getting a clothes horse: examples from IKEA, available in Coventry. I particularly recommend this one.

Wind: you're basically in the middle of the UK - the point furthest away from the coast is somewhere here. It's not as windy as being on the coast line, on the majority of days you won't notice any strong winds, probably less than 10% of days will be really windy.
Original post by Hank_Moody

Thanks for your help

You can buy an airer for fairly cheap in the local shops (Tesco or Wilkinson are both only 5 minutes away from campus) for about £15 or so to hang your clothes on. In the winter students hang their clothes on their radiators, and in the Summer they might hang them outside.

It's no windier in Coventry than anywhere else in the UK really. I didn't notice an abnormal amount of wind!
Thanks to both of you - and I've never heard the expression "clothes horse" before, that's my new favourite english word :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest