I heard the internet in halls is really slow. Can anyone confirm? :puppyeyes:

Especially at peak times, yes.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 161
Keoje
I heard the internet in halls is really slow. Can anyone confirm? :puppyeyes:

It has been really slow before, but they're upgrading the infrastructure of the network and since they've upgraded our halls, the speed is now a lot better. You can, for example, watch iPlayer at peak times when you couldn't before.
Anyone has any idea when will the accomodation opens to application? the website said around mid-may but still hvn't heard any news yet, also will it be helpful to secure a place of an en-suite in Heronbank if I applied as early as possible?
Reply 163
Don't worry about applications. Just keep checking every few days. There's no priority given to those who apply earlier than someone else so long as you apply before the deadline.
Reply 164
doodleamanda
Anyone has any idea when will the accomodation opens to application? the website said around mid-may but still hvn't heard any news yet, also will it be helpful to secure a place of an en-suite in Heronbank if I applied as early as possible?

Last year, they sent out the emails about this on 21 May, so I would expect yours to start opening around now. I seem to remember that they opened applications a few days before they sent out emails to everyone about it, so keep checking the website if you want to get in early. Not that it will matter though, since it's completely random as to whether you are lucky enough to get your first choice.
ttoby
Last year, they sent out the emails about this on 21 May, so I would expect yours to start opening around now. I seem to remember that they opened applications a few days before they sent out emails to everyone about it, so keep checking the website if you want to get in early. Not that it will matter though, since it's completely random as to whether you are lucky enough to get your first choice.

hmm...if it doesn't really matter then I'm not bothered to be the first pile applying,but will it matters if my conditional offer won't be changed into UC until 31/8 (GCSE results released)? I mean most of the other applicants must have got their UC offer by then...so I'm thinking the places may well be all given out when my status changed:s-smilie:
Reply 166
doodleamanda
hmm...if it doesn't really matter then I'm not bothered to be the first pile applying,but will it matters if my conditional offer won't be changed into UC until 31/8 (GCSE results released)? I mean most of the other applicants must have got their UC offer by then...so I'm thinking the places may well be all given out when my status changed:s-smilie:

To be honest, I really don't know. I suppose the best you could do is ask them. Don't get your hopes up though - even if your application is processed equally with everyone else, you do need to bear in mind that en-suite rooms are very popular so there's a good chance you won't get your first choice.
doodleamanda

You're fine, as long as you the GCSE grades meet your offer. Check out the Prinicples of Allocation for 2010.

Basically, as long as you meet the terms of your offer by August 31 (GCSE results day) then you will be considered in the relevant priority group. [So hopefully you have firmed Warwick and apply for accommodation before July 31]. If you are in the lower group, in other words insurance Warwick and apply for accommodation before July 31 and also meet your offer by the end of August, then your chances of getting popular accommodation is reduced.* If you don't match either of these then basically you are lowest priority and will probably be living off campus.

Key point to anyone else reading this thread: regardless of you having Warwick as your firm or insurance, apply for accommodation before the end of July. You should probably also consider doing the same for your insurance uni if you have Warwick as your firm.

*I know people who came here through their insurance and still ended up with Arthur Vick. The Principles of Allocation only determine whether you will get a room on campus or not. So if you firm Warwick and keep to the other rules, then you will provisionally be allocated to be on campus (although where exactly will be unknown). If you put Warwick as insurance and keep to the other rules, you will be placed in a ballot which will determine if you are on or off campus (provisionally).
Reply 168
i have a question... during freshers week, when we settle in our accomodations, are we allowed/able to have a guest stay with us for a few days to help us adapt, look around and everything?
Reply 169
raes
i have a question... during freshers week, when we settle in our accomodations, are we allowed/able to have a guest stay with us for a few days to help us adapt, look around and everything?

You can have a guest stay, sure. Wouldn't advise it though. Don't you want to be able to make the most of meeting new people?
with the 30 week let how many times to you move out in the year
Reply 171
Think it's 6 times. Might be wrong.
Keoje
Think it's 6 times. Might be wrong.

6 time omg really. i think that 2 much coz that mean that there is 6, 1week breaks.
victor_b1992
with the 30 week let how many times to you move out in the year

6 movements - but you move out only 3 times [you move in 3 times as well] :p:
Reply 174
How do you guys do it? Camping rucksack and a large briefcase? :ahee:
TheTallOne
6 movements - but you move out only 3 times [you move in 3 times as well] :p:

so you move out 3 time in a year. for 2 week periods:smile:
Keoje

well if i get 30 week let. i would just put my stuff at a friend place for a week or so. :smile:
Reply 177
victor_b1992

Nonono :smile:

You only move out two times extra.

Once for 4 weeks over Christmas. Once for 5 weeks over easter. Then again at the end of the year. That's all :smile:
victor_b1992

Term dates for next year:
Autumn Term
Monday 4th October 2010 - Saturday 11th December 2010
Spring Term
Monday 10th January 2011 - Saturday 19th March 2011
Summer Term
Wednesday 27th April 2011 - Saturday 2nd July 2011

30 week let periods:
Saturday 2th October 2010 - Saturday 11th December 2010
Saturday 8th January 2011 - Saturday 19th March 2011
Saturday 23th April 2011 - Saturday 2nd July 2011

Most likely. Easter plays up with the summer term start date, but I'd assume that you will get to move up on the weekend before.

Basically you get the room on October 2 from 9.30am all the way until 10am on December 11. Then from 10am on Jan 8 to 10am on March 19, then from 10am on April 23 to some time on July 2 or 3.

Again, it will be fully laid out in your accommodation contract.

For 39 week lets, it is continuous from October until July. 37 week let is from October until two weeks before Christmas, then there's a two week break before starting continuously until July.
Keoje

It's possible to leave your kitchen stuff in the lockable cupboard and live from a medium sized suitcase and two bags. I've tried it for a week after the snow in January forced me to go up by train :colonhash: however, tugging a 20kg+ suitcase along with a rucksack and another bag with my laptop along the underground is not nice, especially when there are stairs. Oh, and due to the snow it took me 3 hours to get to London when it normally takes less than 1. And it required me to board 3 different trains up to London. And the final train basically picked up 3 trains worth of people after dumping them in Orpington and turning back. And there was a football match on. And there were Arsenal supports getting up to London. And the final train to London was completely packed (more than on the tube). Once I got out of the underground, everything was fine though :smile:

But most people either dump their stuff in a 39 week or get a car to take their stuff on the Friday/Saturday and then when returning get their parents to bring their stuff again either on the weekend or a few days later.

Quick Reply

Latest