Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1840
Original post by jakash
Please tell me this applies to cars as well :colondollar:

Or will I just have to bite the bullet and purchase one of those scratch-off passes?

Hah sorry I have never brought a car on campus. AFAIK it's pay as you go, and it's usually quite difficult to find a spot.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hey guys, anyone receive Economics offers here?

I just want to gauge what kind of predicted A2 grades, what A2 subjects and GCSEs people have out of those who got offers this year, thanks! =)
Reply 1842
Totally random question :confused:: are public parks closed during the night? What time do they open in the morning? For example, the Jephson Gardens in Leamington Spa, Victoria Park, etc
Reply 1843
Jephson Gardens is closed at night, opening hours are 8am-dusk. Not sure about Victoria Park etc. I know that Newbold Comyn doesn't close.
Reply 1844
Original post by Jale
Yup I got a motorbike, 125. I would recommend the bike over the scooter, because of the speed considerations. If you are looking to buy new, Frettons in Leamington are a decent suzuki dealer that are really helpful with repairs etc. Otherwise there are plenty of second hand dealers in Coventry.

Parking on campus is a breeze. There's typically space outside the main science building/library, down by Rootes building and up at University house. None of it is covered. You don't have to pay, and really can park most places.

Roads are not great. On a 125 you will find the A46 terrifying, because you will not be able to keep speed unless you are on something that is ridiculously lightweight. Via stoneleigh is probably the best way, but thats a 50mph road thats pretty twisty, so if you are a learner you will probably annoy a lot of other drivers (screw em). Theres a really nice road going from Campus to Leam, but you can't access it on the other way.

Its effectively useless as soon as it snows though. Not worth the risk.

Thanks, that's really helpful!

I was definitely not even considering going on the A46. I have an Austrian driving license (including motorbike) so I'll have to get used to driving on the left side for a while first as well.

Going through Stoneleigh seems the right thing to do for me, seen as I'll be living in the north-eastern area of Leam. How long does it take you to get to campus on average? How is the traffic in the morning for those 9/10ams?

Over the course of the year, do you find the weather allows using a motorbike most of the time?
Reply 1845
Original post by Welix
Thanks, that's really helpful!

I was definitely not even considering going on the A46. I have an Austrian driving license (including motorbike) so I'll have to get used to driving on the left side for a while first as well.

Going through Stoneleigh seems the right thing to do for me, seen as I'll be living in the north-eastern area of Leam. How long does it take you to get to campus on average? How is the traffic in the morning for those 9/10ams?

Over the course of the year, do you find the weather allows using a motorbike most of the time?

The Stoneleigh route is quite nice. Although its a bit twisty, the roads are very well maintained.

I live in Coventry, so it's a totally different route, I have no idea what the traffic would be like, but I doubt anything that would properly hold you up. Probably the worst bit would be actually on campus.

I don't think that the last two weeks of Term 1 or perhaps the start of Term 2 are good for bikes. Other than that, while we get a bit of rain up here, its mostly quite dry but windy.

Your Austrian licence should be valid for as long as you remain a student AFAIK (rather than the normal 3 years), but you might want to check what kind of bikes you are allowed to ride. 125s should obviously be okay, but the insurance is higher on account of theft and bad young riders.
Reply 1846
Original post by Jale
The Stoneleigh route is quite nice. Although its a bit twisty, the roads are very well maintained.

I live in Coventry, so it's a totally different route, I have no idea what the traffic would be like, but I doubt anything that would properly hold you up. Probably the worst bit would be actually on campus.

I don't think that the last two weeks of Term 1 or perhaps the start of Term 2 are good for bikes. Other than that, while we get a bit of rain up here, its mostly quite dry but windy.

Your Austrian licence should be valid for as long as you remain a student AFAIK (rather than the normal 3 years), but you might want to check what kind of bikes you are allowed to ride. 125s should obviously be okay, but the insurance is higher on account of theft and bad young riders.

I checked as well, and I would be allowed to drive a motorbike in the UK with no extra paperwork/exams which is good. Due to Austrian law I'm not allowed to ride anything with more than 0.16 kW/kg for the first two years of having my licence, but that shouldn't be a problem if I just stick to a 125cc.

Thanks for your help!
I can't seem to long onto upload my photo for the university card...

I have the 10 number long username

and I've tried entering my date of birth for the password but it's still not working. any suggestions?
Original post by economics123
I can't seem to long onto upload my photo for the university card...

I have the 10 number long username

and I've tried entering my date of birth for the password but it's still not working. any suggestions?

You need a 7 digit university ID number that starts either 10XXXXX or 11XXXXX and is found on your offer/firm/insurance letters sent from the university. Also check previous email from the uni :h:
Original post by TheTallOne
You need a 7 digit university ID number that starts either 10XXXXX or 11XXXXX and is found on your offer/firm/insurance letters sent from the university. Also check previous email from the uni :h:

awesome, sorted thanks
Couple of questions about the gym:

How much is it? I just want the standard gym with treadmill, bike, cross trainer and a couple of weights - not the extra weights room. Also how good is the equipment, is it new eg bikes have tv with music channels?

Fitness classes - such as circuits, body pump. How much are these? Anyone have a timetable
Cheers
Original post by economics123
Couple of questions about the gym:

How much is it? I just want the standard gym with treadmill, bike, cross trainer and a couple of weights - not the extra weights room. Also how good is the equipment, is it new eg bikes have tv with music channels?

Fitness classes - such as circuits, body pump. How much are these? Anyone have a timetable
Cheers

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1621799
is it fine that my photo appears not fully 100% of the photo submission box...
Reply 1853
They will reject it if they don't like it. Regardless, if it doesn't work its on them to print a new one, and they can do that immediately.
Original post by Jale
They will reject it if they don't like it. Regardless, if it doesn't work its on them to print a new one, and they can do that immediately.

So do you think I should upload new one???
Reply 1855
Original post by cazzy-joe
So do you think I should upload new one???

Not if it's effort. If the system hasn't rejected it, then it's probably fine, and if they find out on the day that it isn't, then they can actually just take a photo there and then.

Might want to get there nice and early so theres no queue and they are less cranky :wink:
Does anyone know how easy it is to get to (and more importantly, back from...) club nights etc in Birmingham? Doesn't seem like there are many goth nights around the uni itself or Coventry but I know of several in Birmingham which isn't that far away. I heard talk of some kind of night bus service, but I'm assuming that's more for things where there are a decent number of people going? :/
Original post by Mouse Potato
Does anyone know how easy it is to get to (and more importantly, back from...) club nights etc in Birmingham? Doesn't seem like there are many goth nights around the uni itself or Coventry but I know of several in Birmingham which isn't that far away. I heard talk of some kind of night bus service, but I'm assuming that's more for things where there are a decent number of people going? :/

The uniexpress* only seems to go to gatecrasher in Birmingham... I've never actually taken it but have been out in Birminghamquite a few times.getting there is no trouble, 12 to cov and next train to new street. Getting back is a taxi (
Fair if there are 5 of you ffor a full taxi) or hang around in new street for the first train back (not recomended if you have lectures at 9 the next day!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1858
Original post by TheTallOne
Are you living on campus this year?

Yeah, not sure what accommodation yet though. Theyre all pretty close together though.
Original post by WaterfrontWAR
The uni bus only seems to go to gatecrasher in Birmingham... I've never actually taken it but have been out in Birminghamquite a few times.getting there is no trouble, 12 to cov and next train to new street. Getting back is a taxi (
Fair if there are 5 of you ffor a full taxi) or hang around in new street for the first train back (not recomended if you have lectures at 9 the next day!)

Ah, thanks. Looks like I'll be trying to grab some people to come with me, otherwise that taxi's going to be pricey for just me on my own! (or I'm going to be super tired the next morning... is it okay to hang around the station or does it get nasty at that time of night?) D:

From what I've heard people tend stay on campus for first year anyway? In which case maybe something I can worry about more in my 2nd year. :3

Quick Reply

Latest