The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unidentified_object
Nearly as complicated as Physics?Have you studied Psychology?No offence in physics you can just learn laws and how to apply them, in Psychology you have to take everything into account and find an approach somewhere in between the different theories. Psychology is a study of human mind, isn't that complicated?

Okay yeah fair point. But statisically Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics are the hardest subjects at A level. Maths and Biology are ment to be half a grade easier and then History comes in sixth.

But either way once your at university every subject is as complicated as you make it. There is stuff in every field which hasn't been discovered and research and developments are constantly occuring!
Reply 41
Yes, Psychology, as many have said before, incorporates rigorous emperical testing to answer questions which would mystify the average person.

Those who disagree are delusional. :P
Reply 42
Jk.d
What non-scientific means can lead to understanding of anything?

Really?
Well... Here's something for starters: Morality.

Lots of discoveries in the past did not come about from the 'scientific method' but through some other paradigm.
Reply 43
h-star
Most of it isn't, science is based on proof, psychology mostly isn't.

Thats not particularly true.
Palmistry, dowsing, UFOology and astrology are real sciences too, just like psychology.
Reply 45
flugestuge
Palmistry, dowsing, UFOology and astrology are real sciences too, just like psychology.

Yes, the level of empirical testing for all of those are the same.
JacobM
Yes, the level of empirical testing for all of those are the same.

And so are the intellectual requirements.
flugestuge
And so are the intellectual requirements.

If Psychology is so beneath you, please complete my 3000 word essay for me:

"Compare the visuomotor transformation and planning-control accounts of optic ataxia. What evidence supports each theory?"

Go.
GodspeedGehenna

"Compare the visuomotor transformation and planning-control accounts of optic ataxia. What evidence supports each theory?"

Go.

Nicely put.If it wasn't for the 28 day limit for rep, I would have repped you twice already darn it. :s-smilie:

We had this whole discussion in school a little while back, but it basically ended with the whole class against me, with me saying that I thought it was pretty much a science due to the fact many studies produce empirical data, showed objectivity and replicability etc. I understand how it cannot be seen by some as a science as there is no single paradigm etc. It was apparently a good opportunity for everyone to prove 'the one doing psychology at uni' wrong. Soo fun. :rolleyes:
GodspeedGehenna

Go.

Sure.
First do an essay for me on management of glioblastoma multiforme.
I am currently managing someone with it.
Reply 50
flugestuge
Sure.
First do an essay for me on management of glioblastoma multiforme.
I am currently managing someone with it.

You totally missed the point imo.
Tombola
You totally missed the point imo.

The point is that what you think of as being terribly difficult is pretty elementary compared to what many other fields do.
flugestuge
The point is that what you think of as being terribly difficult is pretty elementary compared to what many other fields do.

Er, management of GBM isn't that complex, dude.
GodspeedGehenna
Er, management of GBM isn't that complex, dude.

How many cases have you managed ?
flugestuge
How many cases have you managed ?

GodspeedGehenna

So are you a dab hand with the operating microscope or just a ward coolie ?
flugestuge
So are you a dab hand with the operating microscope or just a ward coolie ?

To be fair, it's irrelevant anyway. Anyone could read one textbook on the topic and be able to write that essay.

It would take about 50 individual research papers to be able to discuss visuomotor transformation and planning-control accounts of optic ataxia.

Latest

Trending

Trending