The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I've applied for Japanese, and I've always assumed that a language would be more helpful for a graduate than, say, Philosophy or Classics. Isn't Japan the world's second largest economy? I could be very much wrong, but I thought there'd be a good few opportunities in companies that have operations in Japan and the UK, with translation, or interpretation, or teaching.

And besides, I think that any language degree at a half-decent uni is going to be well respected post-graduation,
dale_cooper
I've applied for Japanese, and I've always assumed that a language would be more helpful for a graduate than, say, Philosophy or Classics. Isn't Japan the world's second largest economy? I could be very much wrong, but I thought there'd be a good few opportunities in companies that have operations in Japan and the UK, with translation, or interpretation, or teaching.

And besides, I think that any language degree at a half-decent uni is going to be well respected post-graduation,

Teaching, yes, but you would need to be at JLPT1 level (and beyond) if you hope to work with a company to do translation or interpretation.
Same graduate prospects as any language. The fact that fewer people have it may even work in your favour. :smile:

Latest