The Student Room Group
how did they mislead you out of interest?
Reply 2
kelpic
misleading me?

Do you have a slightly more detailed version of you question?
Reply 3
kelpic
misleading me?

In what way?

You'll want to direct your query directly to the university first; people won't look at it before you do.
Reply 4
The university, UCAS?
Nowhere? Complain to a newspaper for revenge!
Reply 5
It's a long story. Basically they didn't specify that I need a CAE passed with grade A in order to get in. They just said I need to have the CAE. My CAE doesn't have grade A. So basically I wasted a UCAS choice on them. They mislead me(unintentionally).
Reply 6
kelpic
It's a long story. Basically they didn't specify that I need a CAE passed with grade A in order to get in. They just said I need to have the CAE. My CAE doesn't have grade A. So basically I wasted a UCAS choice on them. They mislead me(unintentionally).

Surely before hand you could have called admissions, or the head of the department you were applying for?
Reply 7
kelpic

Universities can change the criteria even if it is posted on their website, it all depends on the "level" of applicants they have each year... last year they could have accepted someone with a B and this year have had so many good applicants that even people with A might have not been offered a place.

The criteria on the prospectus and website is a guideline
kelpic

So if it was unintentional what's your problem and what affect do you think your complaint will have?
I doubt your complaint will have any effect. It's like saying you'll complain because a university gives you an offer of AAA when their minimum requirement is ABB, and you feel that is what you should have been offered. They can give offers of whatever they want.
kelpic
for misleading me???

What do you mean? Did they lie to you or something?
They don't have to offer you a place even if you meet their requirements.... they may have rejected you regardless of the A grade. Its possible they were willing to accept those without As but given the calibre of applications, only went with those with As.
Reply 12
Im currently pretty angry coz Nottingham changed my English language requirement for IELTS from 6.0 overall (none of the elements below 5.0) to "overall: 6.5 (none of the elements below 6.0)" .. my IELTS is
Listening: 7
Reading: 7
Writing: 5.5
Speaking: 7
Overall: 6.5

and they said they won´t accept my IELTS just because of that damn writing part...I don´t have money to retake IELTS... FML :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 13
Merlinn
Im currently pretty angry coz Nottingham changed my English language requirement for IELTS from 6.0 overall (none of the elements below 5.0) to "overall: 6.5 (none of the elements below 6.0)" .. my IELTS is
Listening: 7
Reading: 7
Writing: 5.5
Speaking: 7
Overall: 6.5

and they said they won´t accept my IELTS just because of that damn writing part...I don´t have money to retake IELTS... FML :frown: :frown: :frown:

I feel you!!!!!
Reply 14
JellyBean123
I doubt your complaint will have any effect. It's like saying you'll complain because a university gives you an offer of AAA when their minimum requirement is ABB, and you feel that is what you should have been offered. They can give offers of whatever they want.

Well the grade in a test of level of English is hardly the same as having a qualification in a proper subject.
synvilla
Well the grade in a test of level of English is hardly the same as having a qualification in a proper subject.

I'm not debating the significance of different qualifications, I only said they can state certain things on a site or in a prospectus or whatever, but when giving out offers they can give what they want.

Also, it is a bit ridiculous to say English is not a "proper" subject, considering it is compulsory until the age of 16, and without it you would probably be illiterate.
Reply 16
JellyBean123

Also, it is a bit ridiculous to say English is not a "proper" subject, considering it is compulsory until the age of 16, and without it you would probably be illiterate.

I'm not saying that English as a subject is not a proper subject, I said that a test of level of English is not a subject/qualification for a subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending