The Student Room Group

Broke up with girlfriend

We were together four months, we both said i love you and it was a really good relationship but we realised we werent right for each other so i initiated the break up. It was really sad and we were bot crying but we've spoken and were going to be friends so it seems ok now. Anyway, my question, have any of you had good breakups like this because i feel like this is the best it could have gone, although i still miss her etc i know itll get better every day.. so anyone think this was a good break up? and anyone had worse or better? plus i need a hug :<

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*hug*

Yeah my girlfriend (of 2 and a half years) broke up with me recently. Its hard at first but it gets better. We are supposed to still be friends but she doesnt txt or call me and she avoids me and she also fancies my best mate.

So in answer to your question 'was this a good break up' Yes
Reply 2
:hugs: It'll get better. At the moment I'm waiting to see if my boyfriend wants to break up with me (I did something bad), so maybe in a few days I'll join you with how you're feeling. Because you weren't together so long, you should get over it quite quickly - I recommend lots of time with friends and maybe some alcohol, junk food and chocolate!
Reply 3
its alot better when its mutual. Most of the relationships ive had aint been a mutual breakup so there wasnt much chance of friendship afterwards. I find being friends with ex's is very hard cos of the jeliously part, they dont like your choice of bf and visa versa. I supose thats the bitterness, i dont tend to see much of my ex's after the breakup. but i wish you both the best of luck i hope you can work it being just friends.
Reply 4
It will be hard at first, but it will get better. Eventually you will realise you will make better friends.

Well that's what I said about my ex boyfriend, but a few months ago he came out as being gay. Since he's come out we have got on so much better. But for 6 months after we broke up we basically hated each other. We were both bitter, but eventually this will pass, and you will both meet new people.
Reply 5
I thought it was a good break at the time. We became friends after but then the bitterness on my part crept in. Her moaning and crying her heart out, which had been acceptable when we were going out, became downright annoying, and I snapped at her, being a right git. She cut herself after what I said, so basically I felt like a complete fool and have not seen her since, only occasionally talking, and arranging meet-ups that never happen. All the other breaks have been messy and i've known it.
Reply 6
take it easy. i know how it feels. Its hard but believe that you'll love again. U'll be fine!
Reply 7
It's for the best. I used to think that my life was over when I finished with ex. But its been a week and a bit now and everything is great. My life is just beginning. I know this hot girl who has her own band (all girl band :wink:) and they're gonna teach me to sing and play guitar. The girl also has her own recordring studio she said I could mess about in.

And what did the ex have? Nothing, she was like a succubus lol. I sent her an email yesterday tellin her I wasnt goin out with her mate, cos she was paranoid and thought if I wasnt goin out with her/talking to her etc that I must be seein her mate.

Her reply was 'i asked her not you. please don't ask me not to email you then email me yourself' lol.

Anyway, chin up and somethin better will come :wink:
Reply 8
Just focus on all the positives. Think of it as an experience to learn from.
Reply 9
-TMG-
It's for the best. I used to think that my life was over when I finished with ex. But its been a week and a bit now and everything is great. My life is just beginning. I know this hot girl who has her own band (all girl band :wink:) and they're gonna teach me to sing and play guitar. The girl also has her own recordring studio she said I could mess about in.

And what did the ex have? Nothing, she was like a succubus lol. I sent her an email yesterday tellin her I wasnt goin out with her mate, cos she was paranoid and thought if I wasnt goin out with her/talking to her etc that I must be seein her mate.

Her reply was 'i asked her not you. please don't ask me not to email you then email me yourself' lol.

Anyway, chin up and somethin better will come :wink:

Wow you got over her quickly. Sounded like "love."
Reply 10
please dont shout at me but you were only together for 4 months! its hardly long term is it? youl be over it in no time
Hrm well it's been 3 months (101 days) since my boyfriend broke up with me. We had been going out for 200days (6months something). When he broke up with me he said that "we can still be friends" talk about a knife in the heart. He was all crying and everything saying how sorry he was and that he still loved me just it wasn't working. He even asked if I hated him but even right after he had done it I said "I love you nothing will ever change that. No matter what you say or do my heart is with you. I could never hate you."

Since all this he has moved onto a new girl (about 3 weeks after the split I think) avoids me whenever he sees me and doesn't call me or chat on MSN even though he said he would the last time I saw him. It might have been the least agro while breaking up at the time but it's turned out to be the worst overall. I still love him like mad even now but he won't even be my friend which is all I want from him now seeing as he has moved on. I really wish I could hate him now but even when I try I just hate myself and not him.

He's caused me to lose trust in people, even my close friends. I don't tell them much of what I'm thinking, feeling or going through anymore and it's because of what he's done. Weirder still HE out of everyone is the only person I actually trust :confused: .

In answer your going to have to wait to see if it's a good break up. It could be all fine and I wish that for you I really do. Just be warned that it could turn sour very quickly without you knowing the reason why.
Reply 12
trigger
please dont shout at me but you were only together for 4 months! its hardly long term is it? youl be over it in no time

agrees but at the time it doesnt feel like it, i have felt the same but after a few weeks onto the next guy omg i should such a slag ! :redface:
I had a relationship very similar to yours in length not so many months ago. It was a mutual break-up, although the relationship had been very good on the whole (as you said). We'd also both said that we loved each other, although we have both since decided that it perhaps wasn't love. We agreed to stay friends (which was pretty essential given that a close-knit friendship group seemed to have formed around us), but he soon turned very bitter, as I was coping better than him with the break-up. Then, less than a month after we broke up, he started going out with one of my best friends. My turn to be bitter. However, everything is fine between us now, and we can chat for hours, oddly much better than we could when we were going out. And I never thought during the days after the break-up that it'd end up this good. So, basically, my advice is to be optimistic about it. You have to appreciate that everyone reacts differently to break-ups, but if you both move on (after you've had some breathing space) then I think you could become good friends.

Oh yeah, *hugs*.
Reply 14
SlyPie
Wow you got over her quickly. Sounded like "love."

There was a lot of ******** goin on. We 'broke up' about ten times. In the end I was tired of it all. I did love her but I realised it wasn't doin anything so I left it.
Reply 15
I had a good break up after a 4 year relationship. Then a month later it got really bad with the division and returning of stuff/ bombshell that he was engaged/ deciding he'd rather not be my friend, actually.

So don't count on it staying good :/
Reply 16
lol same here 1.5 year relationship broke up it was all good now i just want to stab him :mad:
Reply 17
Personally, I'd find it difficult to remain friends with someone who had been inside me. I wouldn't want to fall out...but probably couldn't be just 'friends'.

This couple in my year group had a long term relationship and then broke up, agreeing to be friends, and basically she just because depressed and obsessed with him and it all ended with her making allegations that he'd hit her and other such rubbish. Maybe not the best example to give as she is seriously messed up, but in general it seems difficult for people to remain friends.
Reply 18
red_roadkill
Personally, I'd find it difficult to remain friends with someone who had been inside me. I wouldn't want to fall out...but probably couldn't be just 'friends'.

*splutter*
Reply 19
:rofl: watch youir drink

Latest

Trending

Trending