The Student Room Group

Genetics at Uni

Hello there!

I completely screwed up on my Physics AS and i am waiting for a B...
The only thing i wanted to study at uni was Physics. I started reading all about it even got to learn basic particle physics etc. But unfortunately i did all the stupid mistakes one could make and some major ones so i am expecting a B ( or a low A ).

So my second choice for subject at uni is genetics. I have no clue about it. Could anyone tell me about Genetics courses what they do etc. And what unis are the good ones? Some reading i could do?

Thanks for all the help. PM me if you find it easier to communicate :smile:
Reply 1
If you've only screwed up at AS Level you can do some retakes to boost yourself up if it really was just stupid mistakes. So don't rule physics out just yet if that's what you really wanna do.
Reply 2
I'm just about to start a Human Genetics degree at Notts Uni, the best Uni I could find that offered it really (Notts or UCL) anyway.
I did genetics as an option in my biology a level. It's great i really enjoyed it, it's really interesting, i'm sure at uni it will be much better.
Reply 4
Genetics is one of those subjects you either find incredibly interesting or incredibly dull. I would personally say that learning the theory is quite boring but the consequences of what you can do once you are a geneticist are fasinating. But then that is just me...some of my friends love it.

I would advise getting a genetics textbook and flicking through to get a feel for the sorts of things you would be learning.
Reply 5
cerebrum_core

So my second choice for subject at uni is genetics. I have no clue about it.

Here's a tip: It's rarely a good idea to change your mind from a subject you love to one you don't have a clue about based on a couple of low grades.

A B is not a total screw-up. A low A is even less so.

Retake some modules to get your AS up and stick with physics is my advice. Just make sure you're a bit more prepared for what A2 can throw at you.
Reply 6
hey guys! thanks for the advise. i got an A after all so i am not changing my mind.

thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending