The Student Room Group

AS Student preparing for a politics degree. SOME ADVICE PLEASE!

Hello! This is my first ever thread, so excuse it's shoddy-ness please.

I am currently studying 4 as Levels at a very good comprehensive school and i am taking: government and politics, sociology, economics and biology and i'm predicted AAAB in my exams coming up this summer. I think i can achieve these grades, possibly with the exception of economics which i am finding rather difficult and may get a B in!

Extra info: i also got 1A* 8As 1B in the GCSEs

After my as levels i'll probably drop biology and desperately aim to achieve AAB in the A-Levels. :woo:

My question to the forum is... what advice would people offer me in terms of dropping subjects for A-level in order to get a place at a competitive university studying either a straight politics degree or a joint honours degree in politics and philosophy?

ALSO... does anybody have suggestions for universities to apply for such a degree with the above, predicted qualifications???

ANY ADVICE OR REPLIES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY EVERYONE :smile:
Drop the one you enjoy the least, obviously biology is the least relevant but i doubt it matters greatly. In terms of good universities for politics, you might want to look at; Warwick, York, Bristol, Sheffield, Nottingham and LSE.
Reply 2
IMO drop sociology. I think you could apply pretty much wherever you wanted to.
Rule of Idiocracy
Hello! This is my first ever thread, so excuse it's shoddy-ness please.

I am currently studying 4 as Levels at a very good comprehensive school and i am taking: government and politics, sociology, economics and biology and i'm predicted AAAB in my exams coming up this summer. I think i can achieve these grades, possibly with the exception of economics which i am finding rather difficult and may get a B in!

Extra info: i also got 1A* 8As 1B in the GCSEs

After my as levels i'll probably drop biology and desperately aim to achieve AAB in the A-Levels. :woo:

My question to the forum is... what advice would people offer me in terms of dropping subjects for A-level in order to get a place at a competitive university studying either a straight politics degree or a joint honours degree in politics and philosophy?

ALSO... does anybody have suggestions for universities to apply for such a degree with the above, predicted qualifications???

ANY ADVICE OR REPLIES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY EVERYONE :smile:

Drop the one you like the least, and remember you won't need politics for a politics degree. Basically if you get the grades, you should get the interview, and it's there I think you have to excell. Just make sure you are reading reputable papers (Times/Telegraph sort of thing) regularly, and I'd also recommend The Economist on a regular basis to get a good, sophisticated take on current affairs and economics.
To competitive universities high grades will be sort of a given, so just really focus for now on getting those sorted :biggrin:

In the summer I'd look at reading round the subject and working on ways to prove to your chosen unis that politics is really the thing you want to do and show that you want it more than everyone else they look at :smile:

With those predicted grades there's loads of places you could look at, most politics courses seem to work on an AAB type range :biggrin:

Hope this has been a help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending