The Student Room Group

How is patriotism different to racism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Patriotism is just celebrating your nationality. Even skin colour can be celebrated, eg. during events like Black History Month. And with these anyone can join in or be happy for them. There's no harm in someone eg. a black person celebrating their culture, as long as they have some respect for other people's.
But being racist is totally different. It's like you ONLY have respect for your own culture and everyone else's is **** and you'd spit in their faces and burn their people or swear at them or whatever. I think i summed that up fairly understandably.. :p:
jwb
I'm not sure it was really clear what I meant. I was trying to say that they're different in that racism is saying someone is better because they are white, whereas, for instance, Britain could technically be seen as a better place to live than many countries - people on average have larger disposable incomes, better healthcare, etc. Patriotism becomes racism when it says that British people are better than people from, say, Afghanistan, but I don't think there's anything wrong with believing that Britain, as a country, is a better place to live.

I could say exactly the same about societies dominated by white people. White nations tend to have a higher standard of living, more political and personal freedoms, etc.

Believing Britain is a nice place to live does not = patriotism. Dictionary definition - "devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty." Liking the NHS and the British economy etc. is not the same as love for the abstract notion of a country. I'm sure living in the south of France would be awesome. That doesn't make me a French patriot does it.
Hafsaay
Patriotism is just celebrating your nationality. Even skin colour can be celebrated, eg. during events like Black History Month. And with these anyone can join in or be happy for them. There's no harm in someone eg. a black person celebrating their culture, as long as they have some respect for other people's

I think things like Black History Month etc are fundamentally different because black people have historically been oppressed, and have not really had their history recorded, so black pride is inherently different in character to other forms of racial pride imo.

Black pride is acceptable because of historical repression and domination, which still has a bearing on how black people are viewed and treated today. White pride is clearly not acceptable imo (I won't bother saying why, but I'm sure someone will make a dumb post about this being inconsistent (it's not)).
Reply 83
a.posteriori
Patriotism is a form of nationalism. Nationalism, the adherence to and support of a particular nation, is intrinsically linked to the concept of nationhood; and a nation is simply a psychological concept, a grouping of people with similar cultural viewpoints within a geographic region. Nations are not necessarily linked to race (see the US).

Racism, on the other hand, is the systemic denigration of individuals or groups of individuals because of their racial background. No mention of nationality involved.

This is not to say that racism and patriotism are not frequently found in combination, of course.

This response is the best in the thread. ^^ :smile:

Just to clarify: Nationalism / Patriotism, strictly speaking, is not based on race and is usually focussed on expounding the positives of a country. It is possible to emigrate to America, for example, and become massively patriotic towards the States as a lot of US-bound emigrants do.

Racism is not usually focussed upon expounding the positives of being a particular race but is typically known to demean members of other races. Even if racists centre around discussing the advantages of the white race, for example, it is still asimilar to patriotism as a non-white in this instance cannot join the group, on account of a tacit he cannot change.
Reply 84
Mr_K_Dilkington
I could say exactly the same about societies dominated by white people. White nations tend to have a higher standard of living, more political and personal freedoms, etc.

Believing Britain is a nice place to live does not = patriotism. Dictionary definition - "devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty." Liking the NHS and the British economy etc. is not the same as love for the abstract notion of a country. I'm sure living in the south of France would be awesome. That doesn't make me a French patriot does it.

Well, loving Britain and loving the white race are very different. Would someone who loved the British lifestyle, believing it to be the best in the world, and was prepared to fight to defend it, be considered a patriot? If so, would they also be considered racist?
Allocating prejudice on birthplace defined by arbitrary borders doesn't seem a lot different to many other frowned upon 'isms'. Although there is some inherent cultural worth in patriotism, but commonhood probably shouldn't be defined in birthplace or arbitrary borders in my opinion.
Reply 86
Mr_K_Dilkington
Simple question. How is patriotism any different to racism?

Why is it completely fine to say "The United Kingdom is the best country in the world!", "Britain is awesome!" but obviously not ok to say "The White race is the best race in the world!" and "Whites are awesome!" What is the difference?

Why is it ok to make fun of, say French people, but definitely not ok to make fun of, say, Asian people?

I really don't see any logical difference between someone coming out with these sort of patriotic statements, and someone coming out with a White Power statement.

Is there any real difference? Discuss.

Britain isn't a race. People who make fun of our french neighbours are usually joking and in good humour. If they are discriminating, then it is racist.
Reply 87
The fact that anyone is stupid enough to think there's anything in this question worries me.
Personally I think that Patriotism is Xenophobia.
Racism is generally excepting as being stupid, it amazes me that people don't share the opinion on Xenophobia.

"Patriotism is the belief that you are superior to someone, simply because of where you were born"
easy- patriotism is thinking your country is superior/loving it.

Racism is thinking others to be inferior due to the colour of their skin
Reply 90
Mr_K_Dilkington
I come from the white race. Is it ok for me to publicly be proud of this. Would something along these lines be socially acceptable for me to display?

I'd guess not acceptable. However, if I change the word "white" to "British", somehow it magically becomes perfectly acceptable.

In a different dimension, no it wouldn't be offensive and it shouldn't be really, but given the violent, oppressive history surrounding race - particularly whites against blacks )and other minorities) having such a display is entrenched in fear, as often the people who shout white pride the loudest are those who STILL have no problem being racist, treating others dfferently, thinkin they are superior and being violent towards another because of their colour.

i mean the KKK still exists. The national front is alive, just take a look at a v.active racist website to see racism and the views based behind the orignal connotations of 'white pride' are still alive.

If there wasnt all this history behind it, fewer would take offence. I really dont get why people alsways ask this. is it because your white and on the other side so to speak, and just want to play devils advocate? surely u knw the history? and why it riles people up. yea it may not be fair that u cant shout 'white pride' down your street without being given a funny look, but it aint fair that people are still treated bad because of thier skin. so hey get over it.
Reply 91
Roobagnall
Personally I think that Patriotism is Xenophobia.
Racism is generally excepting as being stupid, it amazes me that people don't share the opinion on Xenophobia.

"Patriotism is the belief that you are superior to someone, simply because of where you were born"

So Jamaicans waving Jamaican flags are racist?

Gotcha.
i think OP means nationalism, not patriotism. (anyone made this point already?)
Reply 93
Planned
In a different dimension, no it wouldn't be offensive and it shouldn't be really, but given the violent, oppressive history surrounding race - particularly whites against blacks )and other minorities) having such a display is entrenched in fear, as often the people who shout white pride the loudest are those who STILL have no problem being racist, treating others dfferently, thinkin they are superior and being violent towards another because of their colour.

i mean the KKK still exists. The national front is alive, just take a look at a v.active racist website to see racism and the views based behind the orignal connotations of 'white pride' are still alive.

If there wasnt all this history behind it, fewer would take offence. I really dont get why people alsways ask this. is it because your white and on the other side so to speak, and just want to play devils advocate? surely u knw the history? and why it riles people up. yea it may not be fair that u cant shout 'white pride' down your street without being given a funny look, but it aint fair that people are still treated bad because of thier skin. so hey get over it.

Just nah. What's funny is how threatening white pride is taken, compared to black pride. I will never feel guilty about being white. I'm glad I was born white, because you do get treated better wherever you go.
Planned

Do you have any idea how many people this country has subjugated? How many people the French, the Belgians, the Americans, the Germans, the Russians, the Chinese, the Spanish, the Portugese etc. have exploited, oppressed, murdered and subjugated?

I'd say the history of murder and oppression of people of other nations has been far more prevalent throughout history than the murder of people of other races throughout history.

I'd say oppression of one nation by another is far more threatening to humanity right now than the threat of oppression of one race by another.

Kinda defeats your point, huh?
Reply 95
Mr_K_Dilkington

Why is it completely fine to say "The United Kingdom is the best country in the world!", "Britain is awesome!" but obviously not ok to say "The White race is the best race in the world!" and "Whites are awesome!" What is the difference?

Why is it ok to make fun of, say French people, but definitely not ok to make fun of, say, Asian people?

I really don't see any logical difference between someone coming out with these sort of patriotic statements, and someone coming out with a White Power statement.

Is there any real difference? Discuss.

Its really none of your business what anyone thinks. What are you, thought police?
meebodied
Its really none of your business what anyone thinks. What are you, thought police?

It's really none of your business what anyone else posts on the internet. What are you, internet police?
Reply 97
Mr_K_Dilkington
It's really none of your business what anyone else posts on the internet. What are you, internet police?

:yes: reportin' fer duty
King Pieb
Britain isn't a race, being White is.

I'm proud of being British but I'm pretty indifferent about being White.

wrong. anglo saxon is a race. white is a skin tone, which has little relevence to race outside being a characteristic of certain races.

personally, i think anyone who tries to invalidate arguments using "thats so (x)ist" should gtfo. i got that on another thread a while ago... sorry, what, your description whether apt or not is going to change anything?

racism is a ridiculous concept. prejudging someones characteristics based only on their race is pretty bad, but judging general characteristics of a race of people is perfectly logical. nor is there any problem with using skin tone as a signal of someones ancestry or origin, nor is there anything wrong with e.g. giving jobs to your own nationality, and therefore, broadly, race.

an insult based on race is no worse than an insult based on intelligence or girth. a prejudice about a race is no worse than one about fat people or certain social classes.

imho everyone needs to stfu thinking race is a taboo subject.
Reply 99
Mr_K_Dilkington

I've got a simple question. How is protectionism any different to racism?
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2005/0328/046.html

Unless you're against protectionism, in which case, oops. But... the opposite of protectionism is unfettered free trade... so I guess that's what we should strive towards, right... right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending