The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm going to apply for Williamson, Tuke and Butler.

Does anyone know when we can start applying for accomodation??
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
"Please note that the application information for 2010/11 academic year is not yet available. The Student Housing Bureau will anticipate all information to be available to New students towards the end of March / beginning of April 2010. Please check again here for detailed information at that time. Students eligible for halls of residence will be communicated to their email address, which has been provided to our Admissions Office. Thank you!"

xx
Reply 22
JPeche
Since there only are two catered places, Reid and Founder's, the choice is not difficult to make: apply for Reid Hall. That's what I'm going to do.

HALLS INFORMATION:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Registry/sac/sh/halls.html

FEES INFORMATION:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Registry/SAC/sh/fees-ug-pg2010.html

I hope that I helped you.

Actually kingswood 1 and 2 are catered as well
Reply 23
gm15
Actually kingswood 1 and 2 are catered as well

You're right. I'd read it up too fast. Thanks.
Reply 24
Just wondering, does anyone know if the en suites in Butler, Tuke and Williamson are wet rooms or if they have actual showers like a normal bathroom?
Reply 25
llacerta
Just wondering, does anyone know if the en suites in Butler, Tuke and Williamson are wet rooms or if they have actual showers like a normal bathroom?

They're wetrooms too. The wetroom style is actually really good as its easy to keep clean!
Reply 26
I was wondering if anybody else is considering putting Runnymede as their first choice for accommodation. It seems like a slightly cheaper version of Gowar/Wedderburn/Butler/Tuke/Williamson with a normal sized bed, but am I less likely to get it because mainly second/third years and postgrads take the rooms? :confused:
Reply 27
CrazyYear
I was wondering if anybody else is considering putting Runnymede as their first choice for accommodation. It seems like a slightly cheaper version of Gowar/Wedderburn/Butler/Tuke/Williamson with a normal sized bed, but am I less likely to get it because mainly second/third years and postgrads take the rooms? :confused:

A friend of mine is in Runnymede at the moment and I'm pretty sure she has a double bed...Don't quote me on that though, I'm just sure when I went to visit her she was saying how great it is having a double bed. :p: Her room was lovely though, I have to admit I am a little tempted to put it as my first choice, and if not, then my second or third.

My friend chose Butler, Tuke and Williamson as her first and Gowar and Wedderburn as her second but ended up in Runnymede, which was her third choice. As she's in her first year it seems like even though some second/third years and postgrads take up some of the rooms, there's still plenty of space for first years.
I have a friend also staying in Runnymede and I gathered from what she was saying that if you're looking for a more social hall, you're better off being in a completely undergraduate hall but I will say they look very nice :smile: The standard of accommodation is amazing in RHUL...the price, not so amazing! xx
Reply 29
Thanks guys. So it seems like Runnymede isn't really one of the best for first-years then! :frown:

The standard of accommodation is amazing in RHUL...the price, not so amazing!

I know, the en-suite accommodation seems great but amazingly expensive! Looks like I'll be on a seriously tight food budget come September...
Reply 30
if you go for a 30 week (term time only) tennancy then its much cheaper, although a bit more hassle.
Reply 32
I was thinking for putting Founders as my first choice, but I heard that the rooms are a bit too shabby :frown: Are there any pictures of what the rooms look like? :s-smilie:

Still, I think I would be better of in Reid Hall.... any opinions?
I saw Reid Hall on the open day and I was very pleasantly surprised, they rooms were rather nice :smile: xx
Reply 34
samanthachan03
I saw Reid Hall on the open day and I was very pleasantly surprised, they rooms were rather nice :smile: xx

I also saw Reid Hall, and I really liked the rooms. I would like to be in catered housing, so I am probably going to apply for both, just still thinking which one to put as first choice :confused: although it seems not many people got into their first choice :lol: oh well...well see :smile:
Reid's been renovated, so you'll get a lot of third years saying stuff like 'Urgh Reid was gross when I stayed there' but FEAR NOT, I hear it's really nice now. I've been living in Wedderburn since September, and recently I've had an epiphany re: accommodation and would say that if I were to choose again, I'd go for either Founder's or Kingswood (if I had a car. You need a car if you want to not be pissed off at how far away it is) because they're way more fun than Wedders. Thankfully, my best friend lives in the block next door so I'm not totally isolated from my social life.

Also, if you've got an unconditional offer and you've accepted it, then you're pretty much going to get your first choice of accommodation (or rather, it's highly unlikely that you wouldn't, because then why would they bother with the preference system). That's also the case if you're an international, it's just the way they do it if they know you're coming for sure. The chances of this get lower and lower depending on how far away you live, whether you've a conditional offer etc.

When I first applied to RHUL, I thought I would hate living in a big hall without my own bathroom and with 30 other people on my corridor, but it's actually a bit miserable living in one of the newer blocks, I've found. You live with only 7 other people, and it's a bit intense sometimes. But, my kitchen's always nice and tidy and of course having my own bathroom is pretty great.
anapoison
I was thinking for putting Founders as my first choice, but I heard that the rooms are a bit too shabby :frown: Are there any pictures of what the rooms look like? :s-smilie:

Still, I think I would be better of in Reid Hall.... any opinions?

Founders is really hit and miss. Some of the rooms, especially in the towers are HUGE and really nice, others are tiny and shabby in comparison. Plus the Founders food isn't the nicest.

Think about what you really want - kitchen & en-suite vs living in Founders with shared everything.
Reply 37
apotoftea
Founders is really hit and miss. Some of the rooms, especially in the towers are HUGE and really nice, others are tiny and shabby in comparison. Plus the Founders food isn't the nicest.

Think about what you really want - kitchen & en-suite vs living in Founders with shared everything.

That about the Founders rooms I didnt know... and as for the food, the food at my school right now is not really good, so I wouldnt be expecting much from that anyway. On the other hand, the catering cuts the costs... I dont think Ill get into my first or second choice since I am an international student with a conditional offer, so I wont put my hopes up too high :s-smilie:

Thanks for the info :smile:
anapoison
That about the Founders rooms I didnt know... and as for the food, the food at my school right now is not really good, so I wouldnt be expecting much from that anyway. On the other hand, the catering cuts the costs... I dont think Ill get into my first or second choice since I am an international student with a conditional offer, so I wont put my hopes up too high :s-smilie:

Thanks for the info :smile:

As an international student I think you get even more priority than the home students do :smile:
Reply 39
CrazyYear

Im putting Runnymede II as my firm, mainly because i don't have a choice aha (SFY students get allocated here without question). I have heard it is alright, and you get the added freedom of cooking; and by cooking i mean microwave noodles :wink:, and en-suite which is always good. Also, It's only UG and they're rennovating it during the summer of 10/11 so should be nice!