The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

There may have been a similar question posed in this thread previously, but I couldn't find any specific enough to my situation to be relevant, so I'll ask again.
I'm an incoming undergraduate, and I applied for residence about a week after it opened [due to complications with my internet connection...], so can anyone give me an idea of...:

a. The likelihood of ending up in one of my preferred choices for residence.
b. When I can expect to hear from the university about allocation.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Which is the accommodation closest to the Geography department? I had it in mind and then I forgot :/
Reply 762
Original post by Lethologica.
There may have been a similar question posed in this thread previously, but I couldn't find any specific enough to my situation to be relevant, so I'll ask again.
I'm an incoming undergraduate, and I applied for residence about a week after it opened [due to complications with my internet connection...], so can anyone give me an idea of...:

a. The likelihood of ending up in one of my preferred choices for residence.
b. When I can expect to hear from the university about allocation.

Just thought I'd reply to this so you don't feel as though everyone's ignoring your questions- I just think it's unfortunately the case that no-one knows the answers! Whether you end up in your top choice mainly depends on whether it's a popular one or not, and it seems like the 'popular' accommodation changes every year, so it's very much a case of waiting and seeing, unfortunately.

I'm sure someone said in another thread that you guys will be hearing back about accommodation sometime in July, but don't quote me on that, haha.

Original post by HotfireLegend
Which is the accommodation closest to the Geography department? I had it in mind and then I forgot :/

I guess Reid technically is, though Butler, Tuke and Williamson are literally a couple of seconds further (and potentially closer depending on the block you end up in). Runnymede is also very close by, perhaps another minute away, if that.
Original post by llacerta

I guess Reid technically is, though Butler, Tuke and Williamson are literally a couple of seconds further (and potentially closer depending on the block you end up in). Runnymede is also very close by, perhaps another minute away, if that.

Ok thanks, I'll apply to one of those 4/5. (Or more, I haven't seen how the accommodation thing works yet)
Reply 764
Ok thanks, I'll apply to one of those 4/5. (Or more, I haven't seen how the accommodation thing works yet)

If I'm honest, applying for accommodation on the basis of it being near your department probably isn't a good idea; campus is so small that even accommodation furthest away will be, at most, a ten minute walk (aside from Kingswood, which is off-campus). And you're unlikely to have all (if any) of your lectures in your department as there are lecture theatres dotted around campus.

It's probably better to choose accommodation based on:
- Your budget.
- En suite or not.
- Catered or self-catered.
- 30 or 38 week let.

When it comes to applying, you have to put down nine options, so you end up having to 'choose' pretty much everything anyway! And you can't choose between Butler, Tuke and Williamson- they come as a set (though you do have the choice of a 30 or 38 week let, and if you go for the former, you're likely to end up in Tuke). But yes, I hope that helps a bit.

EDIT: Are you talking about applying for accommodation to start for this September, 2012? Or for next year?
(edited 11 years ago)
If I'm honest, applying for accommodation on the basis of it being near your department probably isn't a good idea; campus is so small that even accommodation furthest away will be, at most, a ten minute walk (aside from Kingswood, which is off-campus). And you're unlikely to have all (if any) of your lectures in your department as there are lecture theatres dotted around campus.

It's probably better to choose accommodation based on:
- Your budget.
- En suite or not.
- Catered or self-catered.
- 30 or 38 week let.

When it comes to applying, you have to put down nine options, so you end up having to 'choose' pretty much everything anyway! And you can't choose between Butler, Tuke and Williamson- they come as a set (though you do have the choice of a 30 or 38 week let, and if you go for the former, you're likely to end up in Tuke). But yes, I hope that helps a bit.

EDIT: Are you talking about applying for accommodation to start for this September, 2012? Or for next year?

Accommodation to start this year, Sept 2012.

My budget doesn't really matter at this point. The fees are already 9k and if I'm going to go into debt, I may as well go into debt in style!

En-suit would be nice, but it doesn't matter that much. Unless people in these blocks are known for being messy 0_o

Not very bothered about catering.

38-week I think.
Reply 766
Accommodation to start this year, Sept 2012.

My budget doesn't really matter at this point. The fees are already 9k and if I'm going to go into debt, I may as well go into debt in style!

En-suit would be nice, but it doesn't matter that much. Unless people in these blocks are known for being messy 0_o

Not very bothered about catering.

38-week I think.

My only concern is that, as far as I'm aware, people have been applying for accommodation for quite a while now, so it might be more difficult for you to get one of your top choices as it's a first come first served basis (though anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

But considering your preferences, there are probably quite a few halls that would suit you, so I'm sure you'll be fine either way.
My only concern is that, as far as I'm aware, people have been applying for accommodation for quite a while now, so it might be more difficult for you to get one of your top choices as it's a first come first served basis (though anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

But considering your preferences, there are probably quite a few halls that would suit you, so I'm sure you'll be fine either way.

Disabled students get priority, and I'm disabled. Thanks anyhow.

edit: Bonus q: Internet access availability?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 768

Ah okay, well in that case you're all good.

All halls have internet, though when I was in halls last year, only Founder's had wireless. That might have changed this year though, so I can't say for certain, but either way you'll definitely have access to the internet in some form.
Ah okay, well in that case you're all good.

All halls have internet, though when I was in halls last year, only Founder's had wireless. That might have changed this year though, so I can't say for certain, but either way you'll definitely have access to the internet in some form.

Ok cool, thanks.

I may be completely wrong myself but I think Internationals, Unconditional Offers and Disabled persons are assigned first.
Reply 771
Original post by Magic8BallKR
I may be completely wrong myself but I think Internationals, Unconditional Offers and Disabled persons are assigned first.

Yes, I believe that is true! But I made an incorrect assumption, as I didn't realise that HotfireLegend came under one of those categories at the time of writing that post.
Reply 772

All of the accommodation has wireless internet as well as wired. You get a ethernet cable when you move in :smile: At the start of term the wireless seemed to go down a lot, but it seems pretty stable now, can just get a little slow at peak times. Everything is improved when you use the ethernet cable though :smile:
Reply 773
Original post by Soule
Would love to see some pics of Reid please, if anyone has any?, it's my first choice, so probably won't get in there but fingers crossed.

Wonder, how long it will be until we hear where we will be. Also, I opted as my second choice for Founders, and selected I would be willing to do the short term share option, in the hope I would get a nice large room, for the sacrifice of a few weeks of sharing. Have I been crazy to do this?

Hope this isn't too late, but I have a few pictures of Reid Hall from when I moved in. I've been living in Block J which is slightly different to the others as it's on the end (it only has one kitchen, the others have two and there are slightly fewer rooms). I'm on the top floor so I'm lucky and have a lovely sloping ceiling which makes the room feel so much bigger :smile:
100_3528.jpg
100_3529.jpg
100_3530.jpg
The shower is behind the door in the bathroom, which you can just see the bright red handle of. They're pretty small, but at least they're actual showers with doors rather than the wet-room style bathrooms the more modern accommodation has.
Oh, and most rooms have a second bed underneath the main one that pulls out (although I've heard that they've been locked) but my room is missing one...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 774
Original post by Nain17
Hope this isn't too late, but I have a few pictures of Reid Hall from when I moved in. I've been living in Block J which is slightly different to the others as it's on the end (it only has one kitchen, the others have two and there are slightly fewer rooms). I'm on the top floor so I'm lucky and have a lovely sloping ceiling which makes the room feel so much bigger :smile:
100_3528.jpg
100_3529.jpg
100_3530.jpg
The shower is behind the door in the bathroom, which you can just see the bright red handle of. They're pretty small, but at least they're actual showers with doors rather than the wet-room style bathrooms the more modern accommodation has.
Oh, and most rooms have a second bed underneath the main one that pulls out (although I've heard that they've been locked) but my room is missing one...

Thank you so much for this. The rooms look OK. How much storage space is there? Is there anything you would suggest bringing as a must for the room?
Reply 775
Original post by Soule
Thank you so much for this. The rooms look OK. How much storage space is there? Is there anything you would suggest bringing as a must for the room?

The rooms are pretty decent, although not all the same. Some like mine are quite square, others are much more rectangular (so less floor space) but they have slightly larger bathrooms. Everything's modern and up to date.
I'm lucky as I can use the space under the bed for storage (as I don't have another bed there like other rooms), so I'd definitley recommend storage boxes, ones that you can stack could be good as you could form a sort of bedside table.
You get a book case with is quite large (5 shelves but quite thin, could be used for stuff other than books of course) and then a wardrobe (some rooms have a wardrobe which is half shelving half hanging space, others have these split into two separate wardrobes).
As for must haves... stuff to personalise your room with and to make you feel at home. Photos, posters (and white-tac, not blue-tac to put them up with of course), extra pins for your noticeboard and you can take your own duvet/pillows to make it more comfortable.
Oh and a mat for outside the shower - that floor is cold!
Reply 776
Hey guys! So I just applied for accommodation this morning :L I got reid as first choice and founders as second and then of course all of the modern ones, KW last. When around do you think we hear about room allocation? and what chance is there of me getting near my top choices..?

Reply 777
Original post by Nain17
The rooms are pretty decent, although not all the same. Some like mine are quite square, others are much more rectangular (so less floor space) but they have slightly larger bathrooms. Everything's modern and up to date.
I'm lucky as I can use the space under the bed for storage (as I don't have another bed there like other rooms), so I'd definitley recommend storage boxes, ones that you can stack could be good as you could form a sort of bedside table.
You get a book case with is quite large (5 shelves but quite thin, could be used for stuff other than books of course) and then a wardrobe (some rooms have a wardrobe which is half shelving half hanging space, others have these split into two separate wardrobes).
As for must haves... stuff to personalise your room with and to make you feel at home. Photos, posters (and white-tac, not blue-tac to put them up with of course), extra pins for your noticeboard and you can take your own duvet/pillows to make it more comfortable.
Oh and a mat for outside the shower - that floor is cold!

Thanks for this it was really helpful.
Reply 778
Original post by Nain17

I didn't realise the top floor rooms have a sloping ceiling! Squee, can't wait to move in next year! Is the one kitchen thing the same for all blocks on the end, or is it just J?

Thanks for the information!
Reply 779
I didn't realise the top floor rooms have a sloping ceiling! Squee, can't wait to move in next year! Is the one kitchen thing the same for all blocks on the end, or is it just J?

Thanks for the information!

I'm presuming the sloping ceiling is the same in each block :smile: Ours is the only block with one kitchen as we face in a different direction. All of the others are more forward facing (hope you get what I mean, ours is kind of stuck on the end facing towards Williamson rather then out into the L shape that all the blocks form together) so they follow the same pattern of the main door between the two kitchens.

That's ok, happy to help!