The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Thanks. I'm still going to double check because I'm a stress head :smile: I'll let you know x x
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 61
Does anyone know what the preferences part of the accommodation application form is like? Is it just stuff like whether or not you want non-smoking halls and that sort of thing?
Reply 62
llacerta
Does anyone know what the preferences part of the accommodation application form is like? Is it just stuff like whether or not you want non-smoking halls and that sort of thing?

Its things like smoking or not, mixed geneder flats or single gender, floor preference...can't remember any more than those
Reply 63
gm15
Its things like smoking or not, mixed geneder flats or single gender, floor preference...can't remember any more than those

Cool, didn't realise you could put down a floor preference, that's good! Thanks.
Reply 64
i'm not sure if to go with the 30 weeks and empty my room each term or the 38 and pay more, my first choice are the Williamson, Tuke & Butler Halls with the Gowar & Wedderburn Halls my second. Also, i don't know if to go catered and i've only got until wednesday to decide
any help would be great. Thanks :smile:
Reply 65
Well on the 30/38 issue: it depends on how easy it is to move your stuff home and back - willing parents or heaving your stuff around on trains? (edit: or storage)
Catered is less effort but self-catered you can choose when and what to eat
Reply 66
Char2351
i'm not sure if to go with the 30 weeks and empty my room each term or the 38 and pay more, my first choice are the Williamson, Tuke & Butler Halls with the Gowar & Wedderburn Halls my second. Also, i don't know if to go catered and i've only got until wednesday to decide
any help would be great. Thanks :smile:

On the 30 week issue, for me it was worth it to go for 30 weeks as my parents were willing to help me take all my stuff home, it does save almost £1000 after all!

I was catered in first year and I hated it, I was in reid so had to go to founders for food, the food was fairly nasty on the few occasions that I went there and so I ended up just attempting to make all of my meals using a microwave, toaster and kettle (which is all you get in catered).

The long and the short of it for me was that self catered and 30 weeks seems to be the best choice to me, I'll be thirs year next year and am moving in to Tuke on a 30 week contract.
Reply 67
How and when do I register for this? Do you have to wait until application actually opens? When I try now it says my details can't be validated or whatever. Maybe it's just because I only firmed it on Thursday. It does say I've firmed it on the Application Status Checker thing though, when it gives me my number. I'm probably just being too eager, but man I'm excited and want to get on with it.
Reply 68
watchwee
How and when do I register for this? Do you have to wait until application actually opens? When I try now it says my details can't be validated or whatever. Maybe it's just because I only firmed it on Thursday. It does say I've firmed it on the Application Status Checker thing though, when it gives me my number. I'm probably just being too eager, but man I'm excited and want to get on with it.

on the accomadation website it says the the login will be down between 8.30am and 9.30pm monday to friday so i'm going to try and register tonight
hope it works really want to get my first choice.
Char2351
on the accomadation website it says the the login will be down between 8.30am and 9.30pm monday to friday so i'm going to try and register tonight
hope it works really want to get my first choice.

It should work :smile: I registered on Saturday xx
Reply 70
samanthachan03
It should work :smile: I registered on Saturday xx

thanks i'm going to try again and if it doesnt work, i'll e-mail them to try and find out why its not working, hopefully it will be sorted by wednesday. I like everything to be checked and double checked haha
thanks though:smile:
Reply 71
hey i was wondering o this line of thought what the catered food is like in the dining halls? eg what the quality, price is, that would eb really helpful, as am not sure about living in catered or self catered.
also in those pantries in catered is it actualy worth buyign milk and putting ti in the fridge, or is it likely just to go!
sephie773
hey i was wondering o this line of thought what the catered food is like in the dining halls? eg what the quality, price is, that would eb really helpful, as am not sure about living in catered or self catered.
also in those pantries in catered is it actualy worth buyign milk and putting ti in the fridge, or is it likely just to go!

The food in the Hub is good but expensive. The founder's food from what I got told (never once tried it) is awful.

I'd go self-catering personally purely for the option of variety and eating when you want to!
Reply 73
thank you that's really useful- especially as i have no way of knowing other than your replies!
Founders food is pretty awful (wtf is 'Chicken a la King?') and sometimes the servers don't seem to speak English, but I found it passable if I stuck to the safer options.
Is Penrose Court available to first year UGs and what's it like in general? I'm looking for self catered accommodation with parking.
Sweyn Forkbeard
Founders food is pretty awful (wtf is 'Chicken a la King?') and sometimes the servers don't seem to speak English, but I found it passable if I stuck to the safer options.

you should try some of the food at my old school. I think I survived for 3 months on beans on toast
Reply 77
pugnacitas
Is Penrose Court available to first year UGs and what's it like in general? I'm looking for self catered accommodation with parking.

In a word, No.

Penrose is available to postgads only
Reply 78
dmoorcroft
In a word, No.

Penrose is available to postgads only

No it isn't. Its a mixed hall - its available to both postgrads and undergrads.
Reply 79
If you ask for and get a 30-week let, is it possible to ask for it to be changed to 38 weeks if you change your mind/circumstances? (I'm talking about in WTB where they do both.)

Latest

Trending

Trending