The Student Room Group

Can you wear jeans to an informal interview?

Ive got an interview next wed at royal holloway, for biological sciences x
was wondering if u can wear smart lookin jeans?? =/ x
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup.
Reply 2
Hii

I dont see why not if its an informal interview. I've had a couple in the past two weeks and wore a dress.
If it was a non jean thing it would say formal.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 3
do u rekon i cud wear converses as well???
or shud i jus stick to wearing heels?? x
Reply 4
I really wouldn't wear Converse, even if it does say informal. It always makes a better impression to be too smart than too sloppy.
Reply 5
Well personally I would wear heels aha. But just choose what your most comfortable wearing.
Reema Begum

The way I see it is you're being judge constantly when you go for an interview so don't dress down too much. Smart jeans and shoes = yes. Ripped jeans and converses = no.
Reply 7
Sure, provided that it looks good and doesn't have holes as the fashion these days is!! :boxing:
Reply 8
loooooool i was gna go for the ripped jeans and converse look buh ill defo wnt b doin dat lool x

i mean, ive already got accepted by queen mary and dats my first choice x

royal holloway is the only interview ive got, so fort id make a good impression buh didnt noe what dey wantd wen dey sed informal :smile: x

fankies :biggrin:
Reema Begum
loooooool i was gna go for the ripped jeans and converse look buh ill defo wnt b doin dat lool x

royal holloway is the only interview ive got, so fort id make a good impression buh didnt noe what dey wantd wen dey sed informal :smile: x

Just have to say youre new to the site but mixing blocks of text talk with correct spelling will get you a lot of abuse on here.
Reply 10
Reema Begum

Just make sure you use proper English in the interview, for example, pronouncing "thought" with the "th" sound, rather than an f.
Reply 11
hmmmm wot if dey think ur stuck up??
cos den tecnically ur not bein urself =/ x
RNBen
Just make sure you use proper English in the interview, for example, pronouncing "thought" with the "th" sound, rather than an f.

:yes: Very important.
Reema Begum

yeah sure, but put a formal-ish shirt on as well. Avoid trainers though, go for some smart shoes.
Reema Begum

Why would they think that speaking proper english would make you stuck up? Don't be silly. Smile lots, speak well, enunciate!

I'd go for dark coloured jeans, and smartish shoes, like plimsols would be okay, boots - converse seem a little scruffy. Always dress smarter than you think you should, as a general rule. Make yourself look presentable, as it seems as if you care more about the interview which is obviously the vibe you're going for.
Reply 15
Jennie1987
Just have to say youre new to the site but mixing blocks of text talk with correct spelling will get you a lot of abuse on here.

whyy??
its only a forum :s-smilie: x
I wore jeans to all of my interviews at Cambridge, Imperial, and UCL.

Just don't wear ripped jeans or ones that stand out too much as being weird, and you'll be fiiine.
Reema Begum

Christ, this is the level of Royal Holloway? :s-smilie:
Reema Begum

Like someone else said on here.. it's better to try to type properly to avoid abuse from other members. Annunciation when you speak - pronouncing your "th"s properly, T's & S's where they belong, etc. - won't make you sound like you're trying to be someone else as long as they're your thoughts/ideas. Speaking properly will allow for the interviewer to get past the way you say things to what you're saying. Would be quite hard for them to take you seriously if you're talking to them the way you'd talk to a friend on the phone or through chat. Nonetheless, be yourself :yes:

As for clothing, even though jeans would be acceptable, maybe try black/dark gray/brown trousers with a nice top and flats/small heels. Being that it's informal would make it easier to dress down but interviewers like to see that the person they're interviewing is taking extra steps :smile:
Reply 19
Reema Begum

hmmmm....i fink people r takin things waaay 2 seriously on here....reema, jus wear trousers not jeans 2 be safe and then wear any nice top with it :biggrin: and speakin proper english aint stuck up reema, stop complaining + jus do it!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest