The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bikerx23
I blame my ex....(it was last year)
I'm not sure what standard practice is to be honest...I think the time scale you need to have them over requires on how many sexual partners you have...and considering the amount of money you've put aside for having "coffee" with people... oh dear....

Oh i see, well I don't sleep around at all, the coffee is completely innocent!!!

No need for me to get one just yet then... :biggrin:
Reply 81
Beekeeper
Oh i see, well I don't sleep around at all, the coffee is completely innocent!!!

No need for me to get one just yet then... :biggrin:

and you call yourself a true conservative? :biggrin:
you should be able to survive a few years yet, yea...
remember - always wear a condom kids...(well, anyone over 16, under 16 and your very naughty!)
bikerx23
and you call yourself a true conservative? :biggrin:
you should be able to survive a few years yet, yea...
remember - always wear a condom kids...(well, anyone over 16, under 16 and your very naughty!)

haha oh goodo... thats about enough time to build up my penis wth steroids so its hard and fearless :biggrin:
Reply 83
sorry to disappoint you...steroids cause your genetalia to shrink too...so they would probably miss, which would also, i suppose, negate the discomfort.... (you would grow breasts too)
bikerx23
sorry to disappoint you...steroids cause your genetalia to shrink too...so they would probably miss, which would also, i suppose, negate the discomfort.... (you would grow breasts too)

Did anyone see the episode of Nip/Tuck where the guy got breast implants? haha was interesting...

I was o/j anyway, i'm not really going to try steroiding up my penis...

Still, can't they numb it or something? I mean, it is just not right to have a metal rod poked up there now is it? :redface:
Reply 85
Fluffy
That's always the problem with lectures by experts - they only give you the view they want you to have, rather than a balance of the literature :wink:

If the 'friction' theroy was to have a hope in hell of standing up, it would need to be proved that people who get a lot mostly contract cervical cancer, rather than chasing the 'age of loss of virginity' angle most seem to go for!

I did a bit of reading into this when I was writing up as I worked on a stress-activated gene (activated by physical and physiological stress), and showed it had a role in DNA repair (potentially making it a novel proto-oncogene - and we can publish it as so as soon as the post-doc taken on after me to finish what should have been a few months of work gets their ass into gear!!!!).

Do you always have to be right? :rolleyes: Just because what I've been given differs from yours in a teeny tiny way doesn't necessarily make mine wrong. I guess I feel patronised :frown:

Find it fairly amazing that someone can post 'I have HIV' and the thread carries on as if it were never mentioned!

A sign of our inability to cope when confronted that HIV is real and does happen to people, and is just as likely to affect you as the person next to you or on the other side of your internet conversation, or is it *just* a case of the good old British stiff upper lip?

Or our marvellous ability to ignore anything that's not in the current flow of conversation.
Reply 86
Helenia
Do you always have to be right? :rolleyes: Just because what I've been given differs from yours in a teeny tiny way doesn't necessarily make mine wrong. I guess I feel patronised :frown:

Not at all - I just hate it when researchers give it the big 'I am', and as a result a student ends up with a skewed viewpoint which you believe to be true because someone with standing and who should know better says so.

An expert of any worth will give a balanced view point, rather than being lazy and meerly presenting work which supports his own...

that's one of my big bug bears - really winds me up. I saw a lot of it at Oxford and hearing people coming out with almost completely spurious statements as proven fact, claiming them 100% water tight because Prof Big Hardman, MD told them so...

Didn't mean to make you feel patronised, but equally the whole 'I'm at OxBridge being lectured by X, Y and Z' can be a little patronising too!
Reply 87
Fluffy
Not at all - I just hate it when researchers give it the big 'I am', and as a result a student ends up with a skewed viewpoint which you believe to be true because someone with standing and who should know better says so.

Didn't mean to make you feel patronised, but equally the whole 'I'm at OxBridge being lectured by X, Y and Z' can be a little patronising too!

I suppose so. She is v cool though - one of the few female lecturers who is actually bearable. :smile:

I don't think my statements were particularly spurious though - just a statement of the theory, which though it hasn't been proved in its entirity (think of the monitoring that would require, yuk!) seems to make some sense. Whether or not you believe it is up to you.

Plus my work last summer gave me a pretty good insight into the NHS procedures in cervical screening etc.
Reply 88
Helenia
I suppose so. She is v cool though - one of the few female lecturers who is actually bearable. :smile:

I don't think my statements were particularly spurious though - just a statement of the theory, which though it hasn't been proved in its entirity (think of the monitoring that would require, yuk!) seems to make some sense. Whether or not you believe it is up to you.

Plus my work last summer gave me a pretty good insight into the NHS procedures in cervical screening etc.

I'm not saying specifically that your statement was. I know it makes sense, else I wouldn't have spent months doing literature searchs and writing a departmental internal view artical on the subject :wink: I do believe I kicked off that 'debate' by saying that the literature doesn't support the 'friction' theory particuarly well, adding that the 'angle' from which the current research stems is wrong too, if thats the hypothesis and end point which you're trying to prove (also the issue with these sorts of patient based prespective studies is that the data sets you have access to is totally limited - sometimes to one or two possibilities depending on the questionnaires completed by patients or by the history taken at the time the data was collected). So it's not like I was critising you - in fact I could argue that you were critising my view point of there being bugger all real evidence by saying 'my great education to date has told me different' :wink:

I won't even start on my views re: medical doctors who do research... ...some of the seminars I've been to here have been shocking to say the least. The number of times I've sat bitting my tounge as medically qualified peeps doing clinical PhDs have presented their final data, when all I've wanted to do is stand up and scream, 'For the love of God, have you never heard of a control?' must now stand in double figures! The worrying thing is hearing the consultants invovled going on about how great the research and data is :eek:

The most worrying one was being told by an about to be viva'ed student (and backed up by her consultant supervisor) that it was impossible to scyhnronise cells in order to do proper cell cycle studies [in a cancer related seminar]. News to me and all the other poor buggers who do/did it routinely!
Reply 89
Fluffy
I'm not saying specifically that your statement was. I know it makes sense, else I wouldn't have spent months doing literature searchs and writing a departmental internal view artical on the subject :wink: I do believe I kicked off that 'debate' by saying that the literature doesn't support the 'friction' theory particuarly well, adding that the 'angle' from which the current research stems is wrong too, if thats the hypothesis and end point which you're trying to prove (also the issue with these sorts of patient based prespective studies is that the data sets you have access to is totally limited - sometimes to one or two possibilities depending on the questionnaires completed by patients or by the history taken at the time the data was collected). So it's not like I was critising you - in fact I could argue that you were critising my view point of there being bugger all real evidence by saying 'my great education to date has told me different' :wink:

I didn't mean to be that condescending at all! But the subject interests me (though of course I don't have your DPhil so no, I haven't read as much literature as you, but I do have a vague clue on occasion) so I thought I'd give my viewpoint.

I won't even start on my views re: medical doctors who do research... ...some of the seminars I've been to here have been shocking to say the least. The number of times I've sat bitting my tounge as medically qualified peeps doing clinical PhDs have presented their final data, when all I've wanted to do is stand up and scream, 'For the love of God, have you never heard of a control?' must now stand in double figures! The worrying thing is hearing the consultants invovled going on about how great the research and data is :eek:

We don't really get lectures by clinical doctors - they're mostly researchers, so I haven't come across that much yet. We also have a delightful "Bad statistics is bad ethics" lecture along with several on using stats in research, so that hopefully we don't produce the rubbish you're bemoaning.
Reply 90
Ignore me! I'm having a seriously bored, want to get back to Uni day!
Reply 91
Fluffy

me 2, ive been having them all week
Reply 92
Fluffy

I'll join that club!

Plus I think neither of us are the type to like admitting we're wrong :wink:
Reply 93
Helenia
I'll join that club!

Plus I think neither of us are the type to like admitting we're wrong :wink:

You might have a point!

Garrggh! I'm so bored, I've even gone as far as hunting for 'prize essays' with closing dates coming up! Shoot me now!
Reply 94
Fluffy
You might have a point!

Garrggh! I'm so bored, I've even gone as far as hunting for 'prize essays' with closing dates coming up! Shoot me now!

If you find any...i have two weeks with nothing to do coming up...please send them my way....
Reply 95
Fluffy
You might have a point!

If you win, can I have some of the money?

Technically I'm working but it's so dull I have to come on here or my brain would die. I've also got loads to do at home with finishing my Queen's Guide, so that should keep me occupied for the next couple of weeks!
Reply 96
Technically I'm working too - maybe that's the issue! Although, I'm sure if IT looked at my internet log, I might not have a job for too long :eek: Still - I'm ahead of my deadlines (just).

When do you think you'll get your Queen's Guide licked?
Reply 97
So where do I go to get test again?
Reply 98
Your local Sexual Health Clinic is your best bet...
Reply 99
How can I find out where they are?

Latest

Trending

Trending