The Student Room Group

Advice for playing as Fullback.

Hello guys, In the last few months I decided to improve my football, and it has improved drastically, I use to play upfront but was useless, and a few months ago was advised by a friend to try out playing at the back, and I have been playing Left back ever since and we play football at school almost everyday, and ive been improving more and more. Now we've got a game against another school next week, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on playing Left back? I've learnt quite a bit from my friend and our best player whos a midfielder. Just keep in mind I dont have that much speed, but I've got strength to knock players over. I'll be playing a defensive fullback next week.

Any tips would be great Thanks in advance! =)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the best thing for a fullback to be at your level is super fit ( I know that is no help what so ever for a game in one week ). Playing fullback is probably the most tiring role because you are expected to run up and down the pitch all game long. Make sure you always give the player in front of you an option either by over lapping or standing off and try to never let anyone get in behind you. EASY!!
Reply 2
Keep an eye on the back line, as an FB you should never be the one allowing a forward to play onside when the rest of the back line have pushed up.
Reply 3
Also, watch the ball over the top with the forward/midfielders diagonal or curved run - They manage to stay onside until the point that the ball is kicked, and becuase they have already built up the pace with a curved/diagonal run, they can leave you for dead.

Also, work on your crossing - A good skill for an FB to have if your planning on supporting your midfielders with overlaps
Reply 4
iRush
Hello guys,

Quick question - you're playing left back, are you left footed?

If not, work on the strength of your kick with you left leg, and its accuracy - great for a long pass up the line if you're underpressure
Reply 5
darigan
Quick question - you're playing left back, are you left footed?

If not, work on the strength of your kick with you left leg, and its accuracy - great for a long pass up the line if you're underpressure

Hey thanks for the comments and yes I am left footed, one of the 2 only natural left footers we have :P
Reply 6
iRush
Hey thanks for the comments and yes I am left footed, one of the 2 only natural left footers we have :P

Its a great asset for you personally, and for your team.

Great thing about football is that, once you have a good level of fitness, decent sprinting speed and reasonable ball control - all you need is common sense, awareness and some guts - love it. (oh, and the ability to tie your shoe laces :rolleyes: )

Best of luck with your school team mate.
Try and force players down the line rather than letting them cut in.
Reply 8
If you aren't the quickest of players you should avoid over lapping too much as without the recovery speed necessary you will leave your central defenders isolated.

When defending make sure you are talking to your winger and that the centre half next to you is communicating with you. Communicating is the most important thing a defence an do yet so many defenders are silent.

Never get caught 'square' either, so always try and keep your body side-on, so if a quicker player does knock the ball past you, you are already turned enough to stop their pace beng an advantage.
Build up your stamina. If you're bombing forward all the time, you're going to be doing a lot of running, it's very physically demanding - like one of the earlier posters said, it's probably the most tiring position on the pitch if you are attacking. Strength and height, thankfully, isn't that important for a fullback, either.

Always try know the preferred foot of attacking player in the opposing team (most specifically the winger) - see them onto the wrong foot and don't invite them back on their stronger feet.

If an attacker is going down the opposite wing to your own, try and help out the defence in the middle, but keep an eye out for attacks on your side.
Reply 10
Also watch out if a centre back is pulled out of position. (the cb nearest you) you should have to pull inwards to cover that player untill he's back..

Also do what your goalkeeper tells you to do. More than likely when defending corners. you shall be on one of the posts.
if you do go to support attackers get your left mid to cover for you! If your being attacked from the other wing all the defenders move in over one
Don't let John Terry near your child's mother...classic.

Yeah as other people have said, if you're not that quick don't push forward too often. I'd look at Luke Young for inspiration to begin with - everything he does is pretty basic and he rarely gets caught out. Also, make sure to follow the rest of your back four when playing offside etc, don't get caught daydreaming.
Reply 13
Fullbacks roles have changed dramatically in the space of a few years. Before Roberto Carlos and Cafu is was the norm for fullbacks to sit in line with the centre backs, now it's more the norm for full-backs to double up as wingers and overlap. Watch Jose Enrique and Jonas Gutierrez for a perfect example :biggrin:. Nowadays, you need to be one of the fittest players on the team as you will be getting up and down the line all game. Speed isn't really an issue if you are strong (again, see Jose Enrqiue). If you can prevent people getting a running start on you it will help dramatically. Form a bond with your winger, being on the same wavelength will help a load. Practice throw ins, practice diagonal free kicks and practice crossing. Other than that, you will need your usual defensive attributes like timing, heading and tackling.

Remember, if in doubt, boot the ****** out!
Reply 14
Nico_SU
Fullbacks roles have changed dramatically in the space of a few years. Before Roberto Carlos and Cafu is was the norm for fullbacks to sit in line with the centre backs, now it's more the norm for full-backs to double up as wingers and overlap.

pretty much been happening in Brazil since they invented the back four, with left-back Nilton Santos scoring in the '58 World Cup. also check this vid of right-back Nelinho scoring in '78 vs Italy, it's a fantastic goal.
Reply 15
impsmith
pretty much been happening in Brazil since they invented the back four, with left-back Nilton Santos scoring in the '58 World Cup. also check this vid of right-back Nelinho scoring in '78 vs Italy, it's a fantastic goal.

Carlos was the spawn of this generations attacking full-backs. I mean, there is an attacking full-back and there is a Roberto Carlos attacking full-back.
Reply 16
zonal fooking marking!
Reply 17
darigan
Its a great asset for you personally, and for your team.

Great thing about football is that, once you have a good level of fitness, decent sprinting speed and reasonable ball control - all you need is common sense, awareness and some guts - love it. (oh, and the ability to tie your shoe laces :rolleyes: )

Best of luck with your school team mate.

Thanks soo much guys for all the advise, I shall use it all when I play next week =D. lol the guts, hmmm a few sliders here and there :P.

meskell
If you aren't the quickest of players you should avoid over lapping too much as without the recovery speed necessary you will leave your central defenders isolated.

When defending make sure you are talking to your winger and that the centre half next to you is communicating with you. Communicating is the most important thing a defence an do yet so many defenders are silent.

Never get caught 'square' either, so always try and keep your body side-on, so if a quicker player does knock the ball past you, you are already turned enough to stop their pace beng an advantage.

Yeah thats the one thing im working on, going side on so I can switch to whether he runs pass me or goes down the wing. Ill be shouting a lot thats for sure :P.

Tell you guys how the game goes next week =D.

CrookedLegs
Don't let John Terry near your child's mother...classic.

Yeah as other people have said, if you're not that quick don't push forward too often. I'd look at Luke Young for inspiration to begin with - everything he does is pretty basic and he rarely gets caught out. Also, make sure to follow the rest of your back four when playing offside etc, don't get caught daydreaming.

Ill def check out Luke Young, Thanks!
iRush
Hello guys, In the last few months I decided to improve my football, and it has improved drastically, I use to play upfront but was useless, and a few months ago was advised by a friend to try out playing at the back, and I have been playing Left back ever since and we play football at school almost everyday, and ive been improving more and more. Now we've got a game against another school next week, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on playing Left back? I've learnt quite a bit from my friend and our best player whos a midfielder. Just keep in mind I dont have that much speed, but I've got strength to knock players over. I'll be playing a defensive fullback next week.

Any tips would be great Thanks in advance! =)

Just keep knocking players over, preferably in your own box. :yes:

Nah but seriously, communication. Keep talking to your defence.
Reply 19
Don't play people onside. Worst thing ever as a centre back is when you full back has his thumb up his ar$e instead of keeping up with play!

Latest