The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oh by the way if you take double maths but they try to give you the best grade for A-Level Maths first, so you can effectively ditch your Further Maths... thats what ppl in our school do, they do both, so most ending up with A in Maths but an E in Further Maths.
Reply 21
i don't dispute that FM is difficult (although i think it is probably boring! & kind of unfair - why can't we all do 'furthers' in other subjects, just because we're not mathematically inclined... :wink: )

but essentially Maths & FM are the same subject, just more of it - & grades in both just show you're really good at Maths, so some courses at some unis won't let them both count towards meeting an offer, presumably because achieving grades in M, FM & one other subject doesn't show the diversity they want?

meh, take it up with them if you have a problem..
Reply 22
Elles
i don't dispute that FM is difficult (although i think it is probably boring! & kind of unfair - why can't we all do 'furthers' in other subjects, just because we're not mathematically inclined... :wink: )

but essentially Maths & FM are the same subject, just more of it - & grades in both just show you're really good at Maths, so some courses at some unis won't let them both count towards meeting an offer, presumably because achieving grades in M, FM & one other subject doesn't show the diversity they want?

It is not that there is just more. There is exactly twice the amount of work to do if you opt for Further Maths. The extra work is harder than the normal A level as well.

I took: Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Physics.

It is much more work than doing four. But you do end up with 5 AS levels (or A2s if you keep going). So you put more in, but you get more out.
Reply 23
samd
It is not that there is just more.

is it or is it not still 'mathematics'? i.e. still essentially the same subject? :rolleyes:

does 'more' specify a specific amount? i'm perfectly aware that FM A2 is 6 modules, thus double that of Maths A2, thank you.

i'm not making any kind of judgement call of FM, or attempting to belittle people who do it or anything :rolleyes: - just saying - sometimes, in uni admissions you will not receive credit for both Maths & FM, presumably because they want a diversity of subjects making up their offers... & Maths & FM are essentially both 'mathetmatics'.

so the OP may want to look up the policies on this for the sorts of courses/unis they want to avoid disappointment, or being in a position where they HAVE to carry on the other 2 AS subjects they chose, even if they'd rather not..

is that ok with you?! :mad:
Elles

So Elles did you take F.Maths too?

Having F.Maths doesn't mean you are good at Maths (you know my AEA result for Maths...). Got 91% in P6 when I got stuck in a question and just randomly worked out the eigenvectors and normalised them...wtf. My maths teacher just laughed at me :rolleyes:

I think the marking is weird, I only got about 65% (I think) raw marks for P6 yet I have 91%, I think I got about 90% for S2 and ended up with 74%!? (btw I retook S2, got 73 last year..... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: )
Elles

is that ok with you?! :mad:

nope :biggrin:
Reply 26
its all about what you need for your course. whats the point of doing 5 A-levels and you dont need 3 of the subjects. the minimum is 3 max in my opinion should be 4. As and A-levels are not like GCSE's that you can do 12 and come out with 12A*'s.

o make your decisions wisely. dont do subjects that will require so much reading that will affect the time you will spend doing maths and physics. if you can manage your time very well then fine, if not dont go down that road at all. dont even take a step.
I assume your applying for the top unis, your better off getting AAB, or AAAB than BBBBB; quite frankly - don't pick up more than you can chew. I struggled with doing 4 subjects last year (proper traditional subjects). Some people can manage doing 5, but most that get the 5A's tend to do "General Studies" or a "softer" option as the 5th.

Latest

Trending

Trending